Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Update on the Vorsters/A new life down under

Update on the Vorsters/A new life down under

Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:49 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Update on the Vorsters/A new life down under

Originally Posted by Hutch
Well - you never can tell. I took off round Europe at age 18, backpacking for a year. By 21 I was living in the states. My elder sister emigrated here to Australia at the age of 20, having married an aussie she met whilst working in London. My younger brother James left home at 17, spent a year getting basic diving skills and then, when he was 18 went travelled his way down the west coast of the states and further on into South America, before settling on a tiny island called Utila off the east coast of Honduras - where he stayed for 12 years, before moving to Thailand for 18 months and just recently to Cairns. My younger brother Matthew moved to the tropical paradise of Swansea after getting his degree. My parents retired here to Australia in 2001.

There's a lot of exciting opportunites out there for people willing to go and find them - and they aren't all where mummy and daddy are.
Living near Mummy and Daddy won it for you then.

Don't quite see how your family history relates to the Vorster situation though. (but thanks for the background).
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:55 pm
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
And your point is? I was a Mum in my teens and went to live with my fiance when I was 16. Should my Mum have moved with me?
So if you knew that, despite how well you had settled, within the first two or three years of living in Oz, your adolescent children would leave you there and return to live in England, would you still go ahead and emigrate?
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom
So if you knew that, despite how well you had settled, within the first two or three years of living in Oz, your adolescent children would leave you there and return to live in England, would you still go ahead and emigrate?
Yes, I would.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Yes, I would.
Well in that case, I've got nothing more to say to you sweetheart.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:24 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Yes, I would.
So would I actually, I would ask them to stay to get citizenship and then they can go off and do what they want with their own lives - just as my parents let me leave home before I was 18 to live my own life.

We bring children into the world, we look after them, nurture them, guide them BUT we cannot tell them how to live forever. We can give them the tools to be the best person they can and to be able to look after themselves in any situation. We give them opportunities that we ourselves perhaps couldn't have. But we cannot live their lives for them.

Dom the Pom - don't be so judging of others - you may want your children to live with you for goodness knows how long - how do you know they haven't got a different idea?

And don't be so condescending sweetheart
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Dom,

I think your question is unfair, no-one makes the decision to travel half-way around the world lightly,so you take all factors into consideration.One of the most heart-wrenching decisions would be to LET the kids go back, who knows whether they will change their minds (they are kids after all).

As a parent of 4 kids, not everything I do meets with the approval of all my kids or the OH,getting a concensus is difficult at the best of times!

The man made a judgement call and whether you think it is wrong or not is up to you-we all judge other people but I personally think you could cut him some slack...
Crocodileseamus
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ub40fan
So would I actually, I would ask them to stay to get citizenship and then they can go off and do what they want with their own lives - just as my parents let me leave home before I was 18 to live my own life.

We bring children into the world, we look after them, nurture them, guide them BUT we cannot tell them how to live forever. We can give them the tools to be the best person they can and to be able to look after themselves in any situation. We give them opportunities that we ourselves perhaps couldn't have. But we cannot live their lives for them.
I wouldn't disagree with anything you've just said Shirley.

I'm talking about the Vorster's situation, which doesn't bear resemblance to any analogy on this thread so far.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I've got nothing more to say to you sweetheart.

pompous prat.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ub40fan

My thoughts entirely. Of course I want my kids to stay with me. My kids want to go to Australia and I believe that I am doing the best for them, for now. Who knows what the future holds.

My family have moved around the world. My Dad to the Gambia, my older sister lived in Thailand for a few years, my younger sister lives in Spain. What opportunities and experiences they have all had, all would have been missed had they chosen to stay tied to the apron strings.

There is a very small group of people on this site who think they are so amazingly perfect, they feel within their rights to slag off anybody who doesn't conform to their way of thinking. I can't be arsed with all that and wont let it put me off coming on here and reading other peoples views and experiences
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't disagree with anything you've just said Shirley.

I'm talking about the Vorster's situation, which doesn't bear resemblance to any analogy on this thread so far.
No, but you're hinting that he was wrong for moving and letting th ekids come back without him. What's wrong with that? He's happy, the kids happy, his wifes happy. Whats it got to do with anyone else
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:57 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Living near Mummy and Daddy won it for you then.
Well, I'm in my '40s, I figured I'd shown I could get by on my own by then.

Don't quite see how your family history relates to the Vorster situation though. (but thanks for the background).
Because, you said "I'd hedge my bets one wouldn't move 14,000 miles away, let alone both of them." And I was merely pointing out that my entire family ****ed off to the four corners of the planet as soon as we possibly could, and that therefore it wasn't that unusual.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hutch
Because, you said "I'd hedge my bets one wouldn't move 14,000 miles away, let alone both of them." And I was merely pointing out that my entire family ****ed off to the four corners of the planet as soon as we possibly could, and that therefore it wasn't that unusual.
When quoting me you omitted, "if they were going to leave that young" (17/18). And let's not forget we're talking in the context of the Vorster kids here. The 14,000 mile move wouldn't be 6 months backpacking.

So yep - I'd still hedge my bets.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Janine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to allJanine Vorster is a name known to all

Thank you Don the Pom for your narrow minded attitude!! You know nothing of our situation but still you judge us!! I do not need to explain myself to you it is pretty obvious that you have made your mind up!!
Thank you everyone else for your sensible mature outlook on life...obviously don the Pom is seriously lacking in these attributes!!
I will not be coming on the site again, as when i read don the poms judgment of Steve and myself it upset me greatly.
And for your information don the Pom my beautiful step children are now 18 and 22, they are very happy back in the UK as are we here in Australia!
You can take your uniformed judgment of myself and my wonderful husband and stick it where the sun don`t shine!!
And to every one else....i wish you all the best that life has to offer.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:39 am
JONES FAMILY

HOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to allHOPPITY is a name known to all

Janine

Please dont stop posting on here, we all love to hear from you, we done the WDU programe and some people upset us, so I do know where you are coming from, but don't let people like that put you off, sorry I am typing really quick to try and catch you b4 you log off.

Keep in touch, its great to see you are all happy in life

Take care

Sarax
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Janine

Please dont stop posting on here, we all love to hear from you, we done the WDU programe and some people upset us, so I do know where you are coming from, but don't let people like that put you off, sorry I am typing really quick to try and catch you b4 you log off.

Keep in touch, its great to see you are all happy in life

Take care

Sarax
Janine, I agree with sara, please dont stop posting on here. Its lovely to hear you all so happy, plus a comfort to hear to us to be honest as our son will be in the UK whilst we are in oz.

Ignore dom the pom, I know a couple of people have put complaints in to the moderators about him/her recently, I am sure that will be sorted out for you Janine.

Thank you for coming online Janine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.