British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Update: First month living in Broken Hill (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/update-first-month-living-broken-hill-804171/)

DML Jul 27th 2013 1:53 am

Update: First month living in Broken Hill

So, after all the fun and games of visas etc, we finally arrived in Broken Hill just over a month ago. I was asked to provide an update so here it is. I've brought my wife, kids and two dogs here from Scotland and I'm working as a doctor for the RFDS. I'm pleased to report that we've settled in very well. BH is an extremely friendly place - the kids are settled in their new school (after just 2 weeks), have made new friends (party invites already) and seem to be thriving on the small class sizes (17 - compared to 28 back in Scotland :eek:). We've had lots of invites to dinners, parties etc ourselves both as a couple and as a family. Already enjoying the many wonderful wines of SA which we can get delivered here in a couple of days.

I am loving my new job - different pace of work completely. My wife and I get much more time together now and the package the RFDS offers is very generous. It can be frenetic at times but not its not as bad as jumping to respond immediately to a 999 call in the UK. Pilot needs to do a flight plan, plane has to be loaded appropriately etc so we have 30-45 mins before we're off. The rural clinics are very relaxed too. You really take your hat off to the numerous bush clinic nurses who do the majority of the hard work day in day out in the middle of nowhere. Have met lots of fabulous and hardy characters who live ****kms from anywhere! All of them appreciate the care the RFDS provides which makes me very proud to work for them. Its an incredibly supportive organisation and so far is exceeding my expectations. Flying to/from work over the outback and then in/out of Adelaide is simply wonderful day or night.

Our belongings arrive into Adelaide tomorrow and hopefully will be with us not long after, customs allowing. Will be good for the kids to get their bikes and toys. The outback won't be for everyone of course, but coming from a rural setting in Scotland Broken Hill is actually like a big city to us. Lots of great cafes and restaurants, things to see and do and blue skies everyday. Sure its going to heat up ++ in time and there will be flies/snakes etc to contend with but that's all part of the challenge of moving here. What really makes any place is the people and this place is so friendly and welcoming we're already forgetting the many hassles and problems we faced on the way here :)

For those with dogs, we used Pet Air UK to get our two here and highly recommend them. The 6 weeks of separation was the worst part of the whole thing but they are happy and contented here now.

So overall we're really pleased with our move. As I said, wouldn't be for everyone but so far so good. Thanks again to everyone who helped us out on the way with advice and info on this forum, very much appreciated. Happy to chat to anyone who may wish to follow a similar path - a move to Australia doesn't have to involve big cities and beaches :cool:

carolinephillips Jul 27th 2013 1:57 am

Re: Update: First month living in Broken Hill

smashing update- glad you are enjoying life down under and out back!

old.sparkles Jul 27th 2013 2:49 am

Great update DML - glad everything seems to be working out. :)

I've moved you over to the update forum for everyone to see.

sonlymewalter Jul 27th 2013 10:33 am

great update mate - glad it's all worked out so far and good luck going forward:thumbup:

kips Jul 28th 2013 6:02 am

Originally Posted by DML (Post 10821210)
So, after all the fun and games of visas etc, we finally arrived in Broken Hill just over a month ago. I was asked to provide an update so here it is. I've brought my wife, kids and two dogs here from Scotland and I'm working as a doctor for the RFDS. I'm pleased to report that we've settled in very well. BH is an extremely friendly place - the kids are settled in their new school (after just 2 weeks), have made new friends (party invites already) and seem to be thriving on the small class sizes (17 - compared to 28 back in Scotland :eek:). We've had lots of invites to dinners, parties etc ourselves both as a couple and as a family. Already enjoying the many wonderful wines of SA which we can get delivered here in a couple of days.

I am loving my new job - different pace of work completely. My wife and I get much more time together now and the package the RFDS offers is very generous. It can be frenetic at times but not its not as bad as jumping to respond immediately to a 999 call in the UK. Pilot needs to do a flight plan, plane has to be loaded appropriately etc so we have 30-45 mins before we're off. The rural clinics are very relaxed too. You really take your hat off to the numerous bush clinic nurses who do the majority of the hard work day in day out in the middle of nowhere. Have met lots of fabulous and hardy characters who live ****kms from anywhere! All of them appreciate the care the RFDS provides which makes me very proud to work for them. Its an incredibly supportive organisation and so far is exceeding my expectations. Flying to/from work over the outback and then in/out of Adelaide is simply wonderful day or night.

Our belongings arrive into Adelaide tomorrow and hopefully will be with us not long after, customs allowing. Will be good for the kids to get their bikes and toys. The outback won't be for everyone of course, but coming from a rural setting in Scotland Broken Hill is actually like a big city to us. Lots of great cafes and restaurants, things to see and do and blue skies everyday. Sure its going to heat up ++ in time and there will be flies/snakes etc to contend with but that's all part of the challenge of moving here. What really makes any place is the people and this place is so friendly and welcoming we're already forgetting the many hassles and problems we faced on the way here :)

For those with dogs, we used Pet Air UK to get our two here and highly recommend them. The 6 weeks of separation was the worst part of the whole thing but they are happy and contented here now.

So overall we're really pleased with our move. As I said, wouldn't be for everyone but so far so good. Thanks again to everyone who helped us out on the way with advice and info on this forum, very much appreciated. Happy to chat to anyone who may wish to follow a similar path - a move to Australia doesn't have to involve big cities and beaches :cool:

Great to hear you have settled in so well. We stopped off for a night in Broken Hill during our drive from Coffs Harbour, NSW to Perth because we wanted to see artist Pro Hart's gallery and drive to Silverton where the Mad Max films were shot.

I was very impressed with Broken Hill. It was bigger than I was expecting, very friendly, charming and had a good range of facilites. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon and there was an orchestra playing in the local museum.

Like you say Broken Hill is not for everyone because it is in the middle of nowhere but I can see why it attracts so many artistic people. Its remoteness is part of the charm.

Wombatz Jul 28th 2013 8:03 am

Great update, we lived in the outback in Queensland during our first two years and loved the community spirit there too, plus the RFDS attended any emergencies etc. as well.

All the best for the future, hope you keep enjoying it :thumbup:

:goodpost:

rasen78 Jul 28th 2013 8:45 am

Great update. Broken Hill sounds lovely:thumbup:

Kapri Jul 28th 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear something different :)

Alfresco Jul 28th 2013 6:49 pm

Awesome update. Nice and refreshing. Hope you get PR at some point. :thumbup:

BadgeIsBack Aug 3rd 2013 6:10 am

Keep us posted.

Good to see hardy characters going 'outback' /rural.
It what you make of it!

Cheers

asher Aug 5th 2013 1:14 pm

thanks for the update it sounds like you have settled in and have found your niche. Congratulations I look forward to hearing more later :thumbsup:

jackieh23 Aug 6th 2013 11:22 pm

Lovely to hear someone so positive and upbeat. Continue to enjoy!

Almo Aug 7th 2013 3:22 pm

What a lovely update, sounds like you'll have a great life there.

campervanfan Aug 7th 2013 8:00 pm

much as I love seeing photos of all the glorious beaches, some of the outback would be lovely!

Still Game Aug 26th 2013 12:28 pm

Lovely positive update of people enjoying their lives in Oz. All the best and may it long continue!