Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

UK to Student to PR to Citizenship….a 7 year story!

UK to Student to PR to Citizenship….a 7 year story!

Old May 15th 2008, 3:10 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Smile UK to Student to PR to Citizenship….a 7 year story!

Greetings all, now my Citizenship test is upon me (tomorrow week) I decided to do a review of my journey to Australia on the off-chance it’s helpful to anyone else!

In July 2001 I was finishing a Masters degree from Uni in Cardiff and decided that the opportunities for me were significantly limited in the UK and that I needed to look abroad for better career paths in my field. I considered the US, Canada and New Zealand but after a great deal of research and emails around the globe, determined that Australia had the best of everything for me. Having been at Uni for a few years (4) for my undergrad and Masters, I decided to take a Working Holiday in Australia to find a Uni course to start my career off (and also studying was the only way at that time for me to get PR). I left the UK in August 2001 and arrived in Brisbane after the usual 24-hour nightmare in cattle class. I had my backpack, a laptop and a few thousand dollars in the bank and didn’t know a single person in the whole of Australia. Strangely, instead of feeling anxious or nervous (which I usually would with a new situation) immediately after landing in Brisbane I felt strangely calm and ‘at home’, which is a feeling that has never left me.

I stayed at a backpacker hostel in Brisbane for a couple of months, doing casual work in a bar and generally relaxing and enjoying being away from studying, until I found a flat and a flatmate and moved to St Lucia in Brisbane’s suburbs very close to the University of Queensland (UQ). I lived there for the rest of my year’s working holiday and travelled about and visited various Uni’s to find a PhD course/supervisor that suited me. In the end I decided on UQ as the department is world renowned and one of the supervisors was keen to take me on for a project that I had chosen myself (as opposed to doing what your supervisor wants which is much more common for PhD study). Then came the issue of paying for the course! The fees were……make sure you’re sitting down if this is something you’re considering…..$11,000 per semester……for 8 semesters! Holy smoke! Anyway, I spent the time remaining on my WHV and a subsequent 6 month tourist visa (subclass 676, obtained during a week’s holiday to Auckland, NZ) trying to secure a scholarship. Funding for International students is (obviously) fiercely competitive and I was extraordinarily lucky to secure the funds.

I returned to the UK for a month in February 2003 (and nearly died of the cold and didn’t really enjoy being there at all, except for family and friends) and applied for my student visa via the London High Commission. Nowadays you can apply for the student visa onshore in Australia, but back then you had to be in the UK. I had a full medical and x-ray in London, sent it all off and got my visa within a week. I flew back to Brisbane and started my studies in March 2003. I worked part-time all the way through including tutoring and lecturing within my department as well as some industry experience and managed to survive on very little money (under $15,000 per year) for the entire duration. I had a 6 month break from my studies early in 2006 due to a back injury, but managed to complete my thesis in February 2007 after 3.5 years (and $77,000 worth of fees!!!!). I applied for PR in April 2007 under the old system (subclass DD 880) and would have had to cough up $100K investment for 5 extra bonus points had the changes in September 2007 come along, which suited my circumstances very nicely. The new subclass 885 visa awarded extra points for an Australian PhD and I was also able to top up with the IELTS test (which is a lot harder than I thought – I got 8.5, 9, 9, 9 in the end but I had to really concentrate). So, I resubmitted my front-loaded PR application in September 2007 (online) and paid the $2000 application fee again (worth it and what else are credit cards for!). I was asked for a final document (Form 80) on October 17th and had my PR visa granted on 29th October 2007! It was such a great day – I was so happy to be able to stay and live here – I truly love it and it is my home. The other great benefit to me from the September 2007 changes was the change to Citizenship eligibility. As I have spent more than 3 years in Australia as temporary resident, I only need 12 months as a PR to become eligible for Citizenship. So, I take my test next week and then on 29th October 2008 (just over 7 years since I first arrived) I send off my forms and get a ceremony. I can’t wait!

I now have a great job in my chosen profession, I’m earning a good wage and hope to buy my first property next year. I love Brisbane, it suits me perfectly. I don’t miss the UK at all (except the usual; curry, chocolate, Tesco’s and Boots – and living here far outweighs all that!). My family and friends come over and visit regularly and I can’t see myself ever leaving. Everyone is different but I love it here!

For everyone using the Student to PR route to Australia (or any other route) – I wish you the best of luck. It was a long journey for me and could have cost me a fortune if I hadn’t been so lucky. If anyone wants specific questions answered please feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

tking
Old May 15th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Student to PR to Citizenship….a 7 year story!

Wow!

You certainly didn't do it the quick and easy way, did you?

Great to hear that your plans all fell into place. And congratulations on sticking it out and getting citizenship.

Good post.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations tking,

Well done for sticking it out, i bet it was hard, especially with the amount of money you had to pay out and then live on a tight budget.
I hope you continue to enjoy life ozzie style.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you've skated over the tough times but many congratulations on getting what you want in the best way possible. What a great story.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm sure you've skated over the tough times but many congratulations on getting what you want in the best way possible. What a great story.
Great read, thanks for sharing!!

Good luck with the citizenship test and all the best to you in the future!

Cheers
Mandy
Old May 20th 2008, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

werty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nicewerty1 is just really nice

Well done to you! We are in wa on a student visa at the minute only started in feb 08 so still a long way to go.How did you manage to get a scholarship and did that mean you had no fees to pay?
Old May 20th 2008, 4:13 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, got full funding so no fees! Very, very lucky. I applied everywhere I could think of in Australia (http://www.jason.edu.au/) and the UK and US. Eventually got an academic bursary from UK and the bulk came from the US. I was lucky to get both really - but thought it was worth applying anyway. My other option was to do a PhD in a subject area decided by my supervisors and maybe got a uni international student scholarship.

Good luck with your course!
Old May 25th 2008, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

GaznEm is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: UK to Student to PR to Citizenship….a 7 year story!

Great story!! Really positive & encouraging for other student visa holders! Thanks for sharing.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:30 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent! ...
Old May 26th 2008, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting post!
Congrats on all your hard work & well done
Old May 26th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to you, and all the best for citizenship. I hope my turn will come one day. Will post an update on my situation soon.
Old May 28th 2008, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Bigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really nice

Dear tking,
That a great story and most encouraging. I had the same feeling as you when I first visited Australia many years ago. Stepped off the plane at Sydney and immediately new I would be at home in Australia. Onwards and upwards.
Cheers,
H.

Last edited by Bigaitch; May 28th 2008 at 4:15 am. Reason: Didn't mean to include the quote.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

-=|MisterY|=- is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: UK to Student to PR to Citizenship….a 7 year story!

Originally Posted by tking
Strangely, instead of feeling anxious or nervous (which I usually would with a new situation) immediately after landing in Brisbane I felt strangely calm and ‘at home’, which is a feeling that has never left me.
This is the best part of coming here. I had the same feeling and not been able to explain it to myself as of yet.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

mb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nice

Originally Posted by -=|MisterY|=-
This is the best part of coming here. I had the same feeling and not been able to explain it to myself as of yet.
All I can say is "WOW", u have held your preseverance & come out shining. Personally, this is an inspiration to me, I could've never been able to take the route you've taken. It takes a lot of determination & guts to take the road you've chosen & not many can really do that, so here's wishing you all the best with everything.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

mb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nice

All I can say is "WOW", u have held your preseverance & come out shining. Personally, this is an inspiration to me, I could've never been able to take the route you've taken. It takes a lot of determination & guts to take the road you've chosen & not many can really do that, so here's wishing you all the best with everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.