Two years ago today ...

Old Mar 12th 2007, 1:38 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two years ago today ...

Mr GG and I touched down in Sydney.

We left the UK in mid-February and spent our time getting over here visiting the US, Fiji and New Zealand. We saw some great places and did some amazing stuff, but we both felt impatient to get here. We actually left NZ early in the end; partly because of impatience and partly because of my absolute disdain for the place (apologies to those who love the country). Top tip: don't spend too long travelling!

We'd already pre-selected our suburb (based on t'internet research, mainly, and by my sticking a pin in the map). So we had a few weeks' accommodation booked in a hostel initially. We spent the first few weeks doing the usual stuff - getting medicare sorted, tax file numbers organised etc. We managed to find somewhere to rent easily enough - due to our meeting the landlord on site and hitting it off. The time we spent in an unfurnished house waiting for our furniture to arrive was ... fun(?! ). We relied on an air mattress, two camping chairs and cheapo kitchen gear from Ikea. When the shipment rocked up, it was like Christmas. And it really helped us to feel more settled - little islands of familiarity in a great big sea of new and confusion.

The work situation took Mr GG less time to sort out than me. He got two job offers fairly quickly and took a chance in opting for the contracting, rather than the perm one. It's turned out well, as he's now on a perm contract. I took temp work initially, while sending off countless job applications. I ended up taking a perm job, only to decide within the week that I hated it. That job was ditched, I got back on the application merry-go-round and I sorted out another perm job - equal pay but better location and easier work. So, within three months of landing, we were all set up in our new lives.

Homesickness hit within those first few weeks - it was hard and we both equally missed family, friends, location and the familiar. But that passed - until the seventh/eighth month mark, when those feelings returned with a vengeance! I think that's perhaps because we had our routine back. The exotic had lost its shine and become the norm. We were doing all the normal stuff - going to work, going shopping, organising the household. Everything that you have to do, but don't like to think about.

We spend time exploring Australia (we've done Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, the Northern Territory and lots of places within NSW) - but that's costly - there are hotels and flights involved, not a quick trip up the M1 and a mates' floor any more. And, we both know, that's partly filling in gaps we've still got in our lives - places that family and friends used to occupy. Still, we've seen some beautiful places and done some incredible things.

Two years on ... We're still happy here. I think that comes down to who were are, rather than where we are. But I'm a nomad and my feet are itchy again. I want a new challenge and I'm not sure what Aus can offer.

One thing I have learned - you can't 'just' go back. I see this on the forum so often - 'if it doesn't work out, we'll just go back'. To my mind, it doesn't work like that. Being here changes you. So will you ever fit in in the UK again? Are we Aussie or Brit now? Both? Neither? I suspect the latter. It's a process that impacts on you. In lots of ways, that's all to the good. But you pay a price.

The next stage of our lives may be lived out in Aus or the UK - or somewhere else entirely. It's what's right for us at a particular point in our lives - no one place is right forever. I can see us back in the UK, somewhere new over here. And lots of places in between. But I know we'll always, always have a tie to Aus. If it gets under your skin, it stays there.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 3:37 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Two years ago today ...

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post

We left the UK in mid-February and spent our time getting over here visiting the US, Fiji and New Zealand. We saw some great places and did some amazing stuff, but we both felt impatient to get here. We actually left NZ early in the end; partly because of impatience and partly because of my absolute disdain for the place (apologies to those who love the country). Top tip: don't spend too long travelling!

We'd already pre-selected our suburb (based on t'internet research, mainly, and by my sticking a pin in the map). So we had a few weeks' accommodation booked in a hostel initially. We spent the first few weeks doing the usual stuff - getting medicare sorted, tax file numbers organised etc. We managed to find somewhere to rent easily enough - due to our meeting the landlord on site and hitting it off. The time we spent in an unfurnished house waiting for our furniture to arrive was ... fun(?! ). We relied on an air mattress, two camping chairs and cheapo kitchen gear from Ikea. When the shipment rocked up, it was like Christmas. And it really helped us to feel more settled - little islands of familiarity in a great big sea of new and confusion.

The work situation took Mr GG less time to sort out than me. He got two job offers fairly quickly and took a chance in opting for the contracting, rather than the perm one. It's turned out well, as he's now on a perm contract. I took temp work initially, while sending off countless job applications. I ended up taking a perm job, only to decide within the week that I hated it. That job was ditched, I got back on the application merry-go-round and I sorted out another perm job - equal pay but better location and easier work. So, within three months of landing, we were all set up in our new lives.

Homesickness hit within those first few weeks - it was hard and we both equally missed family, friends, location and the familiar. But that passed - until the seventh/eighth month mark, when those feelings returned with a vengeance! I think that's perhaps because we had our routine back. The exotic had lost its shine and become the norm. We were doing all the normal stuff - going to work, going shopping, organising the household. Everything that you have to do, but don't like to think about.

We spend time exploring Australia (we've done Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, the Northern Territory and lots of places within NSW) - but that's costly - there are hotels and flights involved, not a quick trip up the M1 and a mates' floor any more. And, we both know, that's partly filling in gaps we've still got in our lives - places that family and friends used to occupy. Still, we've seen some beautiful places and done some incredible things.

Two years on ... We're still happy here. I think that comes down to who were are, rather than where we are. But I'm a nomad and my feet are itchy again. I want a new challenge and I'm not sure what Aus can offer.

One thing I have learned - you can't 'just' go back. I see this on the forum so often - 'if it doesn't work out, we'll just go back'. To my mind, it doesn't work like that. Being here changes you. So will you ever fit in in the UK again? Are we Aussie or Brit now? Both? Neither? I suspect the latter. It's a process that impacts on you. In lots of ways, that's all to the good. But you pay a price.

The next stage of our lives may be lived out in Aus or the UK - or somewhere else entirely. It's what's right for us at a particular point in our lives - no one place is right forever. I can see us back in the UK, somewhere new over here. And lots of places in between. But I know we'll always, always have a tie to Aus. If it gets under your skin, it stays there.
You have such a great attitude ...be happy, wherever you are
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:00 am
Moreland Member

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great actually GG, wish I had the freedom to have Horzons as expansive as yours.

Best of Luck, and carry the positive influence of every encounter and place that you possibly can
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:44 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to see people who take control of their own lives, even if they can't necessarily see where they are going or how they can get there. Wishing you the very best wherever you end up, and however you get there.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:49 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

just a quickie mate because i cant keep my eyes open need some zzzz but just to say i cant believe its been 2 years!!!! blimey whoooooosh!!!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 9:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one N. Wherever you end up next I hope you enjoy it and have fun. Can't ask for much more than that.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:11 am

gedge has disabled reputation

wise words indeed N
like any life experience, emigrating has an impact on who you are

Last edited by gedge; Mar 13th 2007 at 5:14 am.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

liamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura about

Enjoyed reading your experiencing and what good advice regarding home sickness at the 8 month mark. Its fantastic to be able to read and learn from yourselves.

Thanks for the post!!

Lia

PS I am so jealous!! Wish I was out there!!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Great post. I hope you are happy wherever you end up.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:50 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

great post
I'm one of those itchy feet people too , luckily my partner is a little less impulsive and has grounded me (well for the minute that is) who knows what OZ can offer us; but I'm up for the challenge.
I wish you luck with your decisions and keep us posted
bec
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:35 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by egghead4 View Post
great post
I'm one of those itchy feet people too , luckily my partner is a little less impulsive and has grounded me (well for the minute that is) who knows what OZ can offer us; but I'm up for the challenge.
I wish you luck with your decisions and keep us posted
bec
I have itchy feet too much to my husbands dismay. I would love to find the place that would allow me to settle.
Great post GG.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 6:03 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

This was a great update to read.

We are definitely itchy feet people which is why we are coming on a 457 visa we will give it a go for 4 years, by then we will know if it is for us or not,

if not will probably move to Europe, lots of space to roam and different cultures there to satisfy itchy feet!!

Kim
Old Mar 19th 2007, 6:17 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Wise words You've got the right attitude mate. Keep on enjoying life
Old Mar 19th 2007, 6:37 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

YOur a good person with a great attitude.

Good luck where every you lay your hat
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:48 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

ah GG fantastic post. loved reading it
good luck with the rest