Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Two years (and 4 months)

Two years (and 4 months)

Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:07 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Two years (and 4 months)

So much has happened in that time, we stayed with Gobbyjock initially, then moved to Freo, then bought our house (well big mortgage) and we are still there and here are some updates on various things.

Home

Thought about selling to get somewhere a bit bigger/newere but then found out we are going to be rezoned and will be able to subdivide so were advised to hold fire as the value will go up once it has gone through. That is no hardship for us as this place does feel like home, it does need paintwork and sealing doing to the walls/new shower etc but thats fine because we wont make any rash decisions about either putting money into it or waiting for rezoning and selling.

We have nice neighbours and it took some getting used to when one of them kept bringing round chooks eggs and fresh lemons etc and getting invited round for a glass of wine, especially where we lived before everyone kept themselves to themselves. When Mr PP came out of hospital, our neighbour would come round and check on him and take him for a drive.

Work

Mr PP and I are both in the same jobs that we started in over two years ago, I have moved offices and work 4km from my house, I am on more money than I was on in the UK and so is Mr PP.

I have made some seriously good decent friends in this job that literally became my family the night Mr PP had his crash and I am proud to call them friends as well as colleagues and there are some pretty fab people on BE as well.

Pets

We still have Gordon who is now really naughty, he beats the shit out of our Kelpie, bites us when he wants feeding, still chews our towels and so far has eaten 2 ghekos and a marsupial mouse that got into our house. Good job he is an indoor cat because I can imagine he would have a cockatoo feast if he were allowed out.

Rocky - what can I say about him? I have never seen a kelpie before and have finally got used to an ex working dog who at 4 months was working with older kelpies on a farm herding sheep. Rocky herds me up when I am pissed and rounded up 4 children, their two dogs and their father in our local park. He is content to herd up Mr PP and myself and the cat and anyones children if they come round. I love him and he is turning into a super guard dog.

I couldnt have left my dog outside in the UK, the pikies would have stolen her.

Doctors/hospitals

Can't fault them - Mr PP received top care when he was in and our GP is brilliant. I am ashamed to say I STILL havent been to a dentist that I trust not to do root canals on me but I will 'try' and sort that out.

Family/bad stuff

You are NOT just a plane ride away, neither are you just a day away. You are at the mercy of the airlines and your bank balance so please for the love of god do not dismiss how hard it is not to be able to get home due to finances or an emergency.

Since we have lived here we have suffered huge traumas, my Dad collapsed and was blue lighted to hospital when he had a heart problem, my Nan died, my 20 year old nephew had a cardiac arrest and was in ITU with his diabetes, Mr PP was in HDU from his crash, my best friend in Perth had a car crash shortly just after, there were family problems in the UK that I could do nothing about except cling to Facebook/phone/email updates and my best mate in the UK has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and I wont be with her when she goes through chemo.

You cannot just jump on a plane back unless you are wealthy enough to pay for first class if need be or there are seats in economy and even then you have to hope your employer lets you.

Nothing can prepare you for that ache when you wake up each morning and realise it is over two years since you last saw your Dad/sister/brother/friends.

Nothing can prepare you for when you do get someone coming out to see you and you have to say goodbye and watch the airport security doors shut and the last thing you see is them crying.

However, you keep up the communication - facebook is great for my Dad as I post him videos and stuff and that ache, well that is something you learn to deal with as part of life - life of living so far away.

Dealing with 'officialdom'

Sweet child of mine it drives me crazy - at the moment I am dealing with the underwriters for my house insurance from the Perth storms and inefficiency does not cover it and after several months of noone coming round I told them that if my roof falls in then they will pay - heavily and then I will sue them for making me upset becuase when I am upset, it isnt pretty. They sent someone round this arvo.

I have also had rows with three other telephone companies purely for being wank and useless bordering on stupid. Everything is a fight when things go wrong and you have to stand up for yourself because the 'she'll be alright attitude' does not wash in business I'm afraid and I swear that I argue with people in my sleep and wrestle with myself, quite brutally as well.

Opportunities

I have had so many more opportunities here - since arriving I have done my wildlife rehabilitators course and my snake catching course - I have a DEC permit and am 'on call' for two suburbs at the weekend for snake/reptile catching.

I also do voluntary work at a cockatoo rescue place and get to interact with the most beautiful species of cockatoo - the red tailed black, the baudins and the carnabys cockatoos, not to mention I have written some stuff for their website for when it gets updated.

It just feels like more stuff is on offer - well I guess it depends what you like and what you are in to but for me that is certainly the case.

Camping - I would have rather have eaten my own head than gone camping in the UK but here I love it, a camping trip is already being planned for October time and I cannot wait.

Does it feel like home?

We hadn't been to WA before and today I was reading my blog from 2005, before we had even applied and living here seemed like a distant impossible dream.

Now I cannot imagine living anywhere else in the world and yes it feels like home - to both of us.

Difficult year but looking forward now

The past year has been hard and next week (18th) is the year that Mr PP had his MVA. In that year, he has got another car and I have got my first ever car (the Minge Mobile). I am still a pussy when it comes to driving and I still have this bloody PTSD and virtually shit myself when I drive out of my comfort zone.

We had paid enough on our mortage to keep afloat as Mr PP had 10 weeks off work and our tax rebate was a godsend but don't underestimate how hard it is to emigrate on a shoestring budget. We did it and we were just lucky in many ways but I would recommend you taking as much cash as possible because there is nothing worse than worrying if your newly acquired house will be taken away from you because your partner is sick in hospital.

Although the memory of that night hasnt left us, we have decided to go out with our friends on the Saturday and celebrate what we have now and not what I nearly lost and try and remember that date as something positive - so lots of wine, beer and good food and good company.

Looking back I cannot believe what has happened in the time we have been here and it makes me realise how strong we are and how good the expat network is, not to mention the support we received from people on this site (they know who they are).

Highs and lows - should you do it?

Like anywhere, shit happens and if you are moving to Australia to get away from any unhappiness you may have in the UK then I would advise that you dont move. Learn to make your life good in the UK and if you still want to move then, you can do so knowing you are at peace with what you are leaving behind.

When or if you have any bad luck in Australia, then its easy enough to want to go back to what you knew in the UK but that isn't the answer either. Just make sure you are doing whatever you do for the right reasons because the world is a small place when you are running away from things.

It takes time to settle here, it takes time to build a good friendship and it is a skill to learn how to take the rough with the smooth.

Don't anticipate how you will feel living here until you do. It is easy to be an armchair expert and slate those living here who are not happy, just wait for your turn and see how you feel once you move here.

Just like some posters in the MBTTUK forum cannot understand how we like it where we live, it is hard to imagine how other people are feeling if you are not in that 'headspace' yourself so try not to judge too harshly.

Mr PP and I made the right decision for us - it will be our 20th wedding anniversary in March next year and we are already planning where we can go for it. We don't miss Europe, for us there are enough places to explore in Australia.

We have just under two years to apply for citizenship and we can't wait. Do we have rose tinted specs on? I don't bloody well think so, do you?

We have found our home and that is that I guess.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years (and 4 months)

Beautifully, frank and honest update PP Its been one hell of a journey hey but CONGRATULATIONS to you both! Maybe we can have our citizenship ceremony together and invite Agent 007 - what a blast that would be
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Beautifully, frank and honest update PP Its been one hell of a journey hey but CONGRATULATIONS to you both! Maybe we can have our citizenship ceremony together and invite Agent 007 - what a blast that would be
You know what, I cant imagine anyone else I would rather have there can you? He has been there through our journeys hasnt he and put up with our emails/phone calls.

I remember being in Namibia and getting up at stupid oclocke to speak to him about our visa grant when we had just got back from Etosha.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
You know what, I cant imagine anyone else I would rather have there can you? He has been there through our journeys hasnt he and put up with our emails/phone calls.

I remember being in Namibia and getting up at stupid oclocke to speak to him about our visa grant when we had just got back from Etosha.
sure cant think of anyone more appropriate! funnily enough Rachel and I were only recounting THAT phonecall yesterday! I would love to be able to go back and have those 24 hours all over again Such a magical, scary but exciting day! Remember posting on Expats whilst drinking champagne to celebrate and then whilst under the influence booking our flights for less than month later lol.
Still got you Namibia diary saved somewhere on pc. Felt that excitement with you too oooooooooooh what a journey indeed
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:08 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you'd have to send for the delectable George....I spoke to him the other day & he mumbled something about Scrabble & Vegemite & you all in the same sentence, but I can't imagine what he was talking about.....

Have a wonderful celebration & loads of love to you & Mr. PP
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:13 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Top post, didn't think I'd see so many words from PP and no mention of flaps, minge or Celine.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Surely you'd have to send for the delectable George....I spoke to him the other day & he mumbled something about Scrabble & Vegemite & you all in the same sentence, but I can't imagine what he was talking about.....

Have a wonderful celebration & loads of love to you & Mr. PP
We need to meet Agent 007 The Lombard, I absolutely have to!!! I wish he would read this, then he would know we are talking about him, then he would know we want him down here for a 'Georgie Fest'

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Top post, didn't think I'd see so many words from PP and no mention of flaps, minge or Celine.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

We need to meet Agent 007 The Lombard, I absolutely have to!!! I wish he would read this, then he would know we are talking about him, then he would know we want him down here for a 'Georgie Fest'

Sam i went to visit Georgie boy when i went to Sydney - he is adorable but yes we must get him over here - he keeps promising but maybe he just needs a bit more sweet talking Hey we can stalk him on Facebook and send him a link

Last edited by daunted; Jul 9th 2010 at 1:39 pm. Reason: cunning
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sam i went to visit Georgie boy when i went to Sydney - he is adorable but yes we must get him over here - he keeps promising but maybe he just needs a bit more sweet talking Hey we can stalk him on Facebook and send him a link
OK all done - link posted Lets see how long it takes for him to appear!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:45 pm

OK all done - link posted Lets see how long it takes for him to appear!
I have just seen that

I need some photos of Agent 007 so I can do him a DVD complete with James Bond music.

Does Alan Collette ever post on here these days? He was always in my stories as well because he and The Lombard had a fight in my story which resulted in hair pulling, I was up all night writing that one.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have just seen that

I need some photos of Agent 007 so I can do him a DVD complete with James Bond music.

Does Alan Collette ever post on here these days? He was always in my stories as well because he and The Lombard had a fight in my story which resulted in hair pulling, I was up all night writing that one.
dunno about Alan PP. maybe Ruly can supply photos of Georgie boy!!! He would have to pay her vast sums of money to make sure they are flattering ones hey? did you ever find that photo you 'fixed' of Georgie Boy, you and I? I think i was posh spice - kinda liked that look lol
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Great post, thanks for sharing.

May get around to doing an update myself one day. Very inspiring.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:05 pm

dunno about Alan PP. maybe Ruly can supply photos of Georgie boy!!! He would have to pay her vast sums of money to make sure they are flattering ones hey? did you ever find that photo you 'fixed' of Georgie Boy, you and I? I think i was posh spice - kinda liked that look lol
Oh my goodness, look what I have found from yesteryear!

See who can recognise themselves!!!
Attached Thumbnails Two years (and 4 months)-007.jpg   Two years (and 4 months)-cyber-house-oct-o6.jpg   Two years (and 4 months)-cowgirls1.jpg  
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Great post PP and good luck for the future.

Are you still doing your blog? If so can you add me to your friends as I love reading about the adventures of Gordon and Rocky and you of course!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic update Sam, well done!
Glad that you are both really recovering from Mr PP's accident & moving forward with life.
Best wishes for your future

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.