Reload this Page >

Two weeks udate from Brisbane

Two weeks udate from Brisbane

Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

myrtle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Two weeks udate from Brisbane

Hi Janet,

Good to read such a positive post- we leave for Brisbane on December 8th with Singapore Airlines, how did you get your 40kg allowance? Was it a case of just ringing them up?
Tracey, I'm starting at the Mater on Jan 7th in adult ICU. we're looking at living in the southern suburbs, anywhere as far south as Beenleigh but within a reasonable commute. Where are you working and where do you think you'll live?

Michelle
Old Sep 15th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Janet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud of

Hi Myrtle

We got thr baggage allowance as we had unvalidated visas. I only rung them and got an email back from then to sya that the normal allowance would be waived. If you have a validated visa then you are entitled to 25kg.

Good Luck

Janet x
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Ruthie Roo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Two weeks udate from Brisbane

Hi, We arrived on the 22nd August & have rented in Kenmore Hills, meantime. Our 15yr old has started at Indooroopilly High. Good luck with the house purchase - did you auction or was a offer process - either way was it straightforward?

Ruth

Originally Posted by Janet Rutledge
Well we left the Uk on 13th August after nearly 18 months of preparation!!! Saying goodbye to loved ones was hard and although I tried not to saying godbye to my Mum was terrible and we both struggled to let each other go. I feel better knowing she will be coming over in November though

We flew with Singapore Airlines and I would thoroughly recommend them. We got the 40 kg luggage allowance without any hassle and the service was very good. We stayed in singapore for four days and had a lovely time. A singapore sling in the fabulous Raffles Hotel, Singapore Zoo which was lovely and a trip to Sentosa. We were very busy but did enjoy ourselves.

We arrived in Brisbane on 18th August and going through immigration was a bit of a let down as nothing was said about our PR visas but we were just let through. The hire car was easy to collect and we drove to our rental which is a furnished apartment in Newstead on the river. Apartment Ok and enough furniture to get by. The first day was spent registering with estate agents and getting girls enrolled into schools. Enrolments were very easy and Ellie (11) has gone into Year 7 at Kenmore State School and Sophie(16) has gone into Year 11 at Kenmore High School. Both have seemed to settle the younger one taking it all in her stride, the older one taking abit more time to adjust. Ellie went to a weeks camp after only three days of school which was good for her!! Sophie has made friends and the mobile phone has begun to ring again with her new friends although she still spends inordinate times on MSN and the phone to her friends back in the UK.

We have registerd with medicare, changed our driving licences over, applied for tax file numbers and also bought a house!! We have bought a five bedroom house in Brookfield and providing the building report and pest inspection is Ok will move in on October 29th which will give us some roots to put down. Another thing we have done is buy two cars. One for the family and one for my 18 year old and 16 year old to drive. We have gone with toyota which is a good make here so hope we have made the right decision.

So far things seem to be Ok. We miss friends and family but everyone we have met are very friendly. The weather is glorious and we are beginning to feel settled. No jobs yet but we hope to change that very soon. Lets hope that things continue to go in the rigt direction for us.

Janet and family xx
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're settling in well! Good luck with jobs etc!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:52 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Janet Rutledge
Well we left the Uk on 13th August after nearly 18 months of preparation!!! Saying goodbye to loved ones was hard and although I tried not to saying godbye to my Mum was terrible and we both struggled to let each other go. I feel better knowing she will be coming over in November though

We flew with Singapore Airlines and I would thoroughly recommend them. We got the 40 kg luggage allowance without any hassle and the service was very good. We stayed in singapore for four days and had a lovely time. A singapore sling in the fabulous Raffles Hotel, Singapore Zoo which was lovely and a trip to Sentosa. We were very busy but did enjoy ourselves.

We arrived in Brisbane on 18th August and going through immigration was a bit of a let down as nothing was said about our PR visas but we were just let through. The hire car was easy to collect and we drove to our rental which is a furnished apartment in Newstead on the river. Apartment Ok and enough furniture to get by. The first day was spent registering with estate agents and getting girls enrolled into schools. Enrolments were very easy and Ellie (11) has gone into Year 7 at Kenmore State School and Sophie(16) has gone into Year 11 at Kenmore High School. Both have seemed to settle the younger one taking it all in her stride, the older one taking abit more time to adjust. Ellie went to a weeks camp after only three days of school which was good for her!! Sophie has made friends and the mobile phone has begun to ring again with her new friends although she still spends inordinate times on MSN and the phone to her friends back in the UK.

We have registerd with medicare, changed our driving licences over, applied for tax file numbers and also bought a house!! We have bought a five bedroom house in Brookfield and providing the building report and pest inspection is Ok will move in on October 29th which will give us some roots to put down. Another thing we have done is buy two cars. One for the family and one for my 18 year old and 16 year old to drive. We have gone with toyota which is a good make here so hope we have made the right decision.

So far things seem to be Ok. We miss friends and family but everyone we have met are very friendly. The weather is glorious and we are beginning to feel settled. No jobs yet but we hope to change that very soon. Lets hope that things continue to go in the rigt direction for us.

Janet and family xx
Sorry, a two week update....thats just still a holiday