British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Two Months in - UK to Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/two-months-uk-melbourne-511311/)

LittleHobo Feb 3rd 2008 8:02 am

Two Months in - UK to Melbourne

Well, ours was a bit of a different story from the usual.

We left the UK on December the 2nd to have some travelling time around Aus before we came to our final resting place... Melbourne.

We spent the first 7 weeks travelling up and down the coast from Mel to Syd to Byron Bay back to Syd and then up to Brisie then all the way back down to Melbourne, a lot of miles covered!!!!! Our first home was a Ford Falcon, which we lived and travelled around in. We spent most of the "Sunshine Coast" in the rain - not to mention my 30th! :blink:. But fun was still had by all.

Arriving in Melbourne two and a half weeks ago was an acheivment after all those miles covered and coming from the rain to finally a bit of sunshine was a fantastic feeling....

We arrived in Melb to stay with friends of my Boyf (well they are parents of friends back home) and they have been brilliant at putting us up, letting us stay here as long as possible until we find somewhere to live and have enough money to do so.... So we arrived with our two bags and our moblie home (George the Ford Falcon) and not much else...

After a few days and after the high of what we had just been doing faded away i started to actually realised the implications of what i was doing - leaving all my family and friends behind and not having a penny or an item of anything to my name... I did start to get very down - but still i didnt really want to go home, i think i just felt very sad for the first time about the loss of leaving everyone behind :confused:.

Anyway... that aside we had to get jobs and straight away. Fortunatley for us the lady that we are staying with is a supervisor at a factory so she could get us work straight away as casuals on pretty good money - so currently my boyf and i are employed, it is boring and mind numbing but the $$ are coming in for us to save.

Opening bank accounts was a doddle and ANZ were our choice. Sim cards were also easy to pick up, free from most phone shops on PAYG on vodafone.

I have had my down moment i think and now everything is a bit rosier... I keep in contact with home using skype and the webcam which is great to actually still get to see everyone and texting is pretty cheap and feels like they are not too far away...

We are currently job hunting like crazy - boyf is looking for an adult apprentice as and electrician and i am looking for some admin/pa work in the area.

We are based in Langwarrin and hoping to have somewhere to privately rent in Chelsea within the next two months with then the hope of buying a property to renevate in the next six months when we are able to get a mortgage.

Things i am missing so far - proper mayo (it is all too sweet and yucky out here!), proper bacon and ham (it seems really slimey??), cuddles off my neices and nephews. Boots own baby wipes and my multibionta vit tablets. Heat - but there is always heatworld.com but it is not the same!!!!

Things i am loving - fresh fish, the sun, the feel good factor, the friendlyness of people, the way everyone wants to be healthy and out doors, going to the beach after a cr@p day at work, watching the sea, the ability to be able to go and see penguins at the weekend, that Byron Bay is only a short flight away, the fact that i can still listen to Radio 1 on the PC and see my family and friends on the web cam which is great..... the list can go on.

I know there will be more ups and downs in the futures as birthdays back home come and go. But it is a small price to pay for a future we can have out here and life that we personally couldn't have back home in the uk.

So for now that is it! From us in Langwarrin, VIC, Australia :thumbup: it is over and out... for now... :cool:

Sally Simpson Feb 3rd 2008 10:43 am

Re: Two Months in - UK to Melbourne

What an adventure!:thumbup:
Hope you feel more settled soon, I'm sure you will when you get your own place!
Good luck with the job hunting!:)

brissydeb Feb 3rd 2008 7:38 pm

Great update!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Debbie

gerry Feb 3rd 2008 7:47 pm

sounds like everything is going well:thumbup::thumbup:

now think of uk and what would you be doing:(:(:):):)

i cant wait to get out of the uk just need to sell my house and we are comeing!!!

Reedy Feb 4th 2008 6:34 am

Originally Posted by LittleHobo (Post 5876840)
Well, ours was a bit of a different story from the usual.

We left the UK on December the 2nd to have some travelling time around Aus before we came to our final resting place... Melbourne.

We spent the first 7 weeks travelling up and down the coast from Mel to Syd to Byron Bay back to Syd and then up to Brisie then all the way back down to Melbourne, a lot of miles covered!!!!! Our first home was a Ford Falcon, which we lived and travelled around in. We spent most of the "Sunshine Coast" in the rain - not to mention my 30th! :blink:. But fun was still had by all.

Arriving in Melbourne two and a half weeks ago was an acheivment after all those miles covered and coming from the rain to finally a bit of sunshine was a fantastic feeling....

We arrived in Melb to stay with friends of my Boyf (well they are parents of friends back home) and they have been brilliant at putting us up, letting us stay here as long as possible until we find somewhere to live and have enough money to do so.... So we arrived with our two bags and our moblie home (George the Ford Falcon) and not much else...

After a few days and after the high of what we had just been doing faded away i started to actually realised the implications of what i was doing - leaving all my family and friends behind and not having a penny or an item of anything to my name... I did start to get very down - but still i didnt really want to go home, i think i just felt very sad for the first time about the loss of leaving everyone behind :confused:.

Anyway... that aside we had to get jobs and straight away. Fortunatley for us the lady that we are staying with is a supervisor at a factory so she could get us work straight away as casuals on pretty good money - so currently my boyf and i are employed, it is boring and mind numbing but the $$ are coming in for us to save.

Opening bank accounts was a doddle and ANZ were our choice. Sim cards were also easy to pick up, free from most phone shops on PAYG on vodafone.

I have had my down moment i think and now everything is a bit rosier... I keep in contact with home using skype and the webcam which is great to actually still get to see everyone and texting is pretty cheap and feels like they are not too far away...

We are currently job hunting like crazy - boyf is looking for an adult apprentice as and electrician and i am looking for some admin/pa work in the area.

We are based in Langwarrin and hoping to have somewhere to privately rent in Chelsea within the next two months with then the hope of buying a property to renevate in the next six months when we are able to get a mortgage.

Things i am missing so far - proper mayo (it is all too sweet and yucky out here!), proper bacon and ham (it seems really slimey??), cuddles off my neices and nephews. Boots own baby wipes and my multibionta vit tablets. Heat - but there is always heatworld.com but it is not the same!!!!

They sell Hellman's mayo in bigger Coles supermarkets that is imported and is about $5 a jar:). Also we have discovered a british butchers that does proper bacon and irish recipe sausages amongst other things - it is worth going to a local butchers and asking as we did you might get a pleasant shock! I can't advise on babywipes or vitamins - sorry:unsure: We are in Melbourne too...

Things i am loving - fresh fish, the sun, the feel good factor, the friendlyness of people, the way everyone wants to be healthy and out doors, going to the beach after a cr@p day at work, watching the sea, the ability to be able to go and see penguins at the weekend, that Byron Bay is only a short flight away, the fact that i can still listen to Radio 1 on the PC and see my family and friends on the web cam which is great..... the list can go on.

I know there will be more ups and downs in the futures as birthdays back home come and go. But it is a small price to pay for a future we can have out here and life that we personally couldn't have back home in the uk.

So for now that is it! From us in Langwarrin, VIC, Australia :thumbup: it is over and out... for now... :cool:

Good luck with everything - I have only been here 3 weeks myself!!!! Am loving it too - I went to Sydney for 2 weeks first so have been in Aus 5 weeks in total!!

L x

LittleHobo Feb 4th 2008 7:19 am

thanks Reedy! I will defo do that and now going to search every coles i come across ;). Boyf's mum is coming out in March so i am going to do a job lot and order the wipes and vits for her to bring over so that should keep me going until the next visitor turns up :thumbup: