Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Two and a half years on the Gold Coast

Two and a half years on the Gold Coast

Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two and a half years on the Gold Coast

Hi there

We (my ex husband who is Australia and I) moved over from the Midlands in July 2004. We had been here on a holiday for a month the year before and fell in love with the hinterland at the back of the Gold Coast. We returned to the UK sold up and shipped out....along with 2 cats and 2 dogs.

Although we had problems with the marriage we both decided that come whatever we wanted to be in Australia.

We brought a house in the Hinterland and carried on for 9 months before the marriage ended. It was a very sad time but also a relief in a way as we both knew it was going to happen.

He moved out and I continued to live there until March 2006 when the house was sold.

By this time he had settled in to his new house and had met a great lady (they are still together).

I had also met a gorgeous Australian guy, 14 years my junior who made me feel alive again. I moved in with him ( he also lives in the hinterland) when the house sold and I also started an amazing job working for a law firm in the area.

As you can see from my signature I am getting married on the 17th February and I could not be happier.

It has been a rocky road..but I would not change anything out here. My son who is 22 and studying in the UK is also looking to move over here when he has finished his degree in July...so that would be the icing on the cake.

When I left the UK I left behind my family (who I had never been close to) and some very good friends (who I still miss) but would I go back? NEVER
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:34 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two and a half years on the Gold Coast

Wow...congratulations on the wedding. I hope you have a wonderful time. Here's to the next few years.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BandS
Hi there

We (my ex husband who is Australia and I) moved over from the Midlands in July 2004. We had been here on a holiday for a month the year before and fell in love with the hinterland at the back of the Gold Coast. We returned to the UK sold up and shipped out....along with 2 cats and 2 dogs.

Although we had problems with the marriage we both decided that come whatever we wanted to be in Australia.

We brought a house in the Hinterland and carried on for 9 months before the marriage ended. It was a very sad time but also a relief in a way as we both knew it was going to happen.

He moved out and I continued to live there until March 2006 when the house was sold.

By this time he had settled in to his new house and had met a great lady (they are still together).

I had also met a gorgeous Australian guy, 14 years my junior who made me feel alive again. I moved in with him ( he also lives in the hinterland) when the house sold and I also started an amazing job working for a law firm in the area.

As you can see from my signature I am getting married on the 17th February and I could not be happier.

It has been a rocky road..but I would not change anything out here. My son who is 22 and studying in the UK is also looking to move over here when he has finished his degree in July...so that would be the icing on the cake.

When I left the UK I left behind my family (who I had never been close to) and some very good friends (who I still miss) but would I go back? NEVER

Wow!!!!! wonderful news

Hope you continue to be as happy as you seem now
Old Jan 24th 2007, 5:20 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Wow you certainly have been through it! Glad to hear your great news, hope you and your fella are very happy together
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:31 am
Just Joined

fishnorfowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

That's a pretty amazing story.
We're planning on moving to Mt Tamborine in April.
We have 2 kids,10 and 13.I grew up on the Gold Coast
and lived for several years in Brisbane leaving to explore the
world in 1988.Since then we've lived in the UK,Melbourne,NZ
and now back in the UK.Now I have kids of my own I can better
see all the benefits of life in Qld.I am hoping to find work in Brisbane and my wife is a teacher.We all have Ozzie passports and my wife was registered as a teacher in Vic so we're hoping that will be easily transferable.
Any advice would be gratefully received.Hope you have a fab wedding sounds like you desirve it.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:34 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Wishing you a life time of love and happiness......
Old Jan 26th 2007, 1:44 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishnorfowl
That's a pretty amazing story.
We're planning on moving to Mt Tamborine in April.
We have 2 kids,10 and 13.I grew up on the Gold Coast
and lived for several years in Brisbane leaving to explore the
world in 1988.Since then we've lived in the UK,Melbourne,NZ
and now back in the UK.Now I have kids of my own I can better
see all the benefits of life in Qld.I am hoping to find work in Brisbane and my wife is a teacher.We all have Ozzie passports and my wife was registered as a teacher in Vic so we're hoping that will be easily transferable.
Any advice would be gratefully received.Hope you have a fab wedding sounds like you desirve it.
Well, howdie neighbour!

and to the original posters, good on ya guys. All the very best to you.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:56 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

congratulations guys
Old Jan 28th 2007, 2:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
congratulations guys
Ditto.

Sounds like you are well and truly out the other side of a rough couple of years. Well done for hanging in there.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Ditto.

Sounds like you are well and truly out the other side of a rough couple of years. Well done for hanging in there.

Yes it has certainly had its moments But the good thing it that I wake every day and look forward to spending the rest of my life with this fantastic man in the wonderful place.

p.s I am an Australian now...got my citizenship last November.

Sharon