Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Two and a bit years in Melbourne and all well I'm pleased to say!

Two and a bit years in Melbourne and all well I'm pleased to say!

Old Jan 6th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold
Default Two and a bit years in Melbourne and all well I'm pleased to say!

Well, a little over two years in and where has that time gone? No idea but wherever it was it went in a bloody hurry!

Seems that we left the UK about fifteen minutes prior to the steady slip into what has now become coined ‘the credit crunch’. I have spent some time trying to convince friends and relatives that our departure and the onset of the current global economic wobble are not strictly connected but to little avail and I am reliably informed by one friend that it’s ‘bloody poured down non stop’ since we left, again not guilty!

Meanwhile back in Melbourne! We got off the plane at the end of Nov 2006 with a months holiday rental booked and not a great deal else. No friends or family here - our dog had landed the day before us and was beginning his thirty days in solitary – a bit like Steve McQueen in the Great Escape but the major difference being our dog tends to chew balls into a zillion pieces rather than bounce them repetitively off an adjacent wall!
So we had thirty days to find a pet friendly rental and the rest off our lives to do something gainful and hopefully enjoyable.

And that’s pretty much how it happened. We landed a rental in the South East corner of Melbourne, both landed work surprisingly quickly after the obligatory few months enjoying the sun, seeing the sights and pondering over the Australian fascination with building big things – Prawns. Koala’s, Lobsters, you name it, they build it…..beats me?

I was (and still am) in Occ Health and my wife was (and also still is) a classroom assistant which seem to be occupations very much in demand. Certainly in Melbourne. Both had a couple of positions before we landed our current jobs that we have now both been in for about a year and a half.

The dog still hasn’t found work and I have to be honest it doesn’t look good. He just keeps chewing up the application forms and pens whenever I put them in front of him!

We bought our first Oz home back in August which has been a bit special. Like everyone else we got a mortgage, we actually arrived with about enough funds to see us through a lean year if no work prevailed.

Having your own place makes it all a lot more home I guess.
I came home from work tonight so have a meal sitting out back watching a Cockatoo ruin the fruit on the one fruit tree in the Garden which I consider to be my green fingered success. Funnily enough, we never ever had this problem in Cumbria!

Think the biggest plus though has been the people….no, hold that thought! Not people friends, the good friends that we have made here. That has made a world of difference. We decided not to cling to the ex pat pom scene (no offence guys) and have been lucky enough to make some very good Australian friends. My opinion, it’s like you hear said, they take you as they find you. Be pleasant to people and they are generally pleasant back…..and take it from there.

Don’t get me wrong, there have been some emotional ups and downs (family illness back in the UK, big bouts of family sickness etc) but the ups are beating downs by a long way.

Back in Nov 06 if someone could have showed us a crystal ball of the future how much less terrifying would that departure from Manchester airport have been? Lots! But life’s not like that is it?

You pays your money and you take your chances, but both being focused on the same thing, accepting up front that there will be downs as well as ups’ and being there for each other through the good and the bad increases your odds massively in my opinion.

That’s a point; I didn’t share what we actually came for….that old cliché of a better quality of life! Not a beach, not a boat, not a four wheel drive and a house the size of Dorset. Just to feel more content with our every day ins and outs……and so far, so good.

So, to all off you about to take the leap of faith that is emigration, I wish you all the same good fortune that we have had.

Keep smiling and the world mostly smiles back!

Right, off to get that bloody bird off my tree…….

Good luck all

Mike

Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

schwuk is just really niceschwuk is just really niceschwuk is just really niceschwuk is just really niceschwuk is just really niceschwuk is just really niceschwuk is just really niceschwuk is just really niceschwuk is just really nice
Default Re: Two and a bit years in Melbourne and all well I'm pleased to say!

Great to read your story Mike, and nice to see someone else from Cumbria enjoying it out there.

Whereabouts in Cumbria were you?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great read! Glad things are going so well for you!

Gina
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Good read
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

lynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the rough

good witty read, we are hoping to be in melbourne by the summer (our summer),, i say summer i mean less cold.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

londonmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Another positive post from someone a little further down the line than us in Melbourne.
Thanks mate, it's always good to read posts like this on those days when you lose confidence that it can always be this good. It's taking the pair of us longer than we hoped to find jobs, and that's manifesting itself as severe homesickness in the OH - any tips to offer in the finding work department?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:15 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Excellent.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Well, a little over two years in and where has that time gone? No idea but wherever it was it went in a bloody hurry!

Seems that we left the UK about fifteen minutes prior to the steady slip into what has now become coined ‘the credit crunch’. I have spent some time trying to convince friends and relatives that our departure and the onset of the current global economic wobble are not strictly connected but to little avail and I am reliably informed by one friend that it’s ‘bloody poured down non stop’ since we left, again not guilty!

Meanwhile back in Melbourne! We got off the plane at the end of Nov 2006 with a months holiday rental booked and not a great deal else. No friends or family here - our dog had landed the day before us and was beginning his thirty days in solitary – a bit like Steve McQueen in the Great Escape but the major difference being our dog tends to chew balls into a zillion pieces rather than bounce them repetitively off an adjacent wall!
So we had thirty days to find a pet friendly rental and the rest off our lives to do something gainful and hopefully enjoyable.

And that’s pretty much how it happened. We landed a rental in the South East corner of Melbourne, both landed work surprisingly quickly after the obligatory few months enjoying the sun, seeing the sights and pondering over the Australian fascination with building big things – Prawns. Koala’s, Lobsters, you name it, they build it…..beats me?

I was (and still am) in Occ Health and my wife was (and also still is) a classroom assistant which seem to be occupations very much in demand. Certainly in Melbourne. Both had a couple of positions before we landed our current jobs that we have now both been in for about a year and a half.

The dog still hasn’t found work and I have to be honest it doesn’t look good. He just keeps chewing up the application forms and pens whenever I put them in front of him!

We bought our first Oz home back in August which has been a bit special. Like everyone else we got a mortgage, we actually arrived with about enough funds to see us through a lean year if no work prevailed.

Having your own place makes it all a lot more home I guess.
I came home from work tonight so have a meal sitting out back watching a Cockatoo ruin the fruit on the one fruit tree in the Garden which I consider to be my green fingered success. Funnily enough, we never ever had this problem in Cumbria!

Think the biggest plus though has been the people….no, hold that thought! Not people friends, the good friends that we have made here. That has made a world of difference. We decided not to cling to the ex pat pom scene (no offence guys) and have been lucky enough to make some very good Australian friends. My opinion, it’s like you hear said, they take you as they find you. Be pleasant to people and they are generally pleasant back…..and take it from there.

Don’t get me wrong, there have been some emotional ups and downs (family illness back in the UK, big bouts of family sickness etc) but the ups are beating downs by a long way.

Back in Nov 06 if someone could have showed us a crystal ball of the future how much less terrifying would that departure from Manchester airport have been? Lots! But life’s not like that is it?

You pays your money and you take your chances, but both being focused on the same thing, accepting up front that there will be downs as well as ups’ and being there for each other through the good and the bad increases your odds massively in my opinion.

That’s a point; I didn’t share what we actually came for….that old cliché of a better quality of life! Not a beach, not a boat, not a four wheel drive and a house the size of Dorset. Just to feel more content with our every day ins and outs……and so far, so good.

So, to all off you about to take the leap of faith that is emigration, I wish you all the same good fortune that we have had.

Keep smiling and the world mostly smiles back!

Right, off to get that bloody bird off my tree…….

Good luck all

Mike

Nice 1 mike, have you any plans or have you put in for your citizenship yet?