British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   This time last year ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/time-last-year-463803/)

pommybird Jul 11th 2007 9:03 am

Re: This time last year ...

What a great, positive story Hutch - sounds like you have plenty of family in Oz do you think that has made it easier for you all to settle and be less 'homesick'?

I often wonder whether we would have stayed in Oz longer and settled better if we had had close family there.....

herrchook Jul 11th 2007 3:53 pm

Thanks for writing that Hutch, it's great to hear how you're life's changed. Here's to many more happy years in Oz for you all. Gorg photo btw:)

Gill

Hutch Jul 11th 2007 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 5039325)
What a great, positive story Hutch - sounds like you have plenty of family in Oz do you think that has made it easier for you all to settle and be less 'homesick'?

I often wonder whether we would have stayed in Oz longer and settled better if we had had close family there.....

I'd be lying if I said it hadn't helped us to settle. We had somewhere to live rent-free when we arrived, plus plenty of advice on getting set up. Wasn't easy for my wife though, for reasons I'm sure you can understand. The great irony is that we've always been a very widely dispersed family (both socially and geographically) who rarely bothered with each other, even on birthdays. I don't think it made any difference to possible feelings of homesickness though, for the reasons I mentioned above.

I've lived abroad previously and knew what to expect - Catherine and Josh were always going to be the ones that suffered from it if anyone did, but they've both been fine. It greatly helps that Catherine has a genuinely good mate here - if that meeting had never occured I suspect that she'd have found things a lot harder. :)

LisaD_uk Jul 12th 2007 10:00 pm

I really enjoyed reading your post, it even bought a tear to my eye(doesn't take much these days).
The picture is lovely, what a fantastic view.

ELLJAY Jul 13th 2007 8:57 am

Great post Hutch - glad you're having such a fantastic time

Good on yer:thumbup:

Lj

chandugitam Jul 14th 2007 7:44 am

Hi Hutch,
Please post a link to your blog so that it will come in handy to people like me.

Chandu

Wendy Jul 14th 2007 11:45 am

Originally Posted by chandugitam (Post 5053016)
Hi Hutch,
Please post a link to your blog so that it will come in handy to people like me.

Chandu

It's under his avatar :)

Nu-Shooz Jul 14th 2007 12:08 pm

Brilliant post. Very informative to new comers or folk hoping to emigrate.

Pants Jul 16th 2007 2:57 pm

Loved reading that Hutch...love the piccie of you all.:)

thewoodz Jul 16th 2007 4:05 pm

gosh isn't it funny how you assume things on the net;) but i thought u had been there a lot longer
interesting post:thumbsup:

ROLLIE Jul 16th 2007 9:43 pm

:)hiya,

just wanted to say.......fab post :thumbsup:..............its lovely reading peoples experiences / feelings etc.................thanks a lot............hoping to be in oz too in aug.:thumbup:

all the best for more enjoyable times ahead.;)

c.
x

Hutch Jul 17th 2007 1:59 am

Originally Posted by thewoodz (Post 5062424)
gosh isn't it funny how you assume things on the net;) but i thought u had been there a lot longer
interesting post:thumbsup:

Been backwards and forwards a fair bit for the last ten years or so (both on my own and with the family), so it certainly wasn't a culture clash when we made the big move. Certainly helped. :)

SonicBird Jul 25th 2007 6:12 am

Hutch - you're a legend!!! Great post mate.. i did try to give you some K.. but damn these Karma Nazis.. i have to spread the love (and karma) round a bit first!

Good on ya! :thumbup:
Sonic x

scottyboy Jul 25th 2007 2:43 pm

Nice One Hutch. Congratulations on your first year in.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Good to see your internet work is doing well as that's what
I intend to do.

As you are a journalist as well this site might be of interest.
http://www.freelanceswitch.com/
Its Australia based too.

All the very best to you.

Scotty.

Sally Simpson Jul 25th 2007 10:56 pm

Good thread, thanks for sharing! Love the photo:thumbup: