Time to celebrate....

Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time to celebrate....

My first impression of Australia wasn’t all that brilliant, as we drove from the airport all I could think was ‘OMG, this isn’t what it’s supposed to look like’ and at that point of time I would have happily got straight back on the next plane home. Looking out of the window at the scenery I’d only seen in books, it didn’t look anything like I’d imagined it would. It was a total shock, I can’t put my finger on what it was, but it was definitely not the ‘Australia’ I expected.

I was so tired from the journey, I didn’t sleep at all the entire time, so as soon as we got to our accommodation I collapsed into bed for 10 hours. My OH slept most of the way (probably due to the fact he drunk a full bottle of bacardi on the plane!)

When I woke up, I had something to eat, got a shower and then collapsed again until the following morning. We spent the day doing nothing much, the kids played in the playground and I just watched them, then I took them to the arcade because it started raining.

We went and stocked up on food and then even though it was freezing outside, we went for a walk on the beach. As I came up over the hill to the beach I was greeted with the most amazing sunset I’d ever seen, that’s when I first felt like I’d come home.

The next few months were packed with all the usual stuff, finding a house, setting up Medicare, sorting out OH’s electrical licence etc. It was all a bit of a blur really, the time just whizzed past. Me and my hubby argued like mad, I really couldn’t wait to get him to work

He landed a job after we’d been here just over 5 months; he was employed through an agency with a company who make parts for Holden cars. It wasn’t a bad job, the pay was more or less the same as what we had in the UK, but the hours were (are) rubbish. He starts at 3pm and finishes as 11:30pm. That means he doesn’t see the kids from Sunday night til Saturday (not that the kids are bothered )

I haven’t got a job yet, being the woman of the family I’ve had to put my life on hold until everyone else is settled. Also I knew my oldest son was coming over from the UK to visit, so thought I may as well wait for that too.

If there’s one thing I don’t like about Australia, it’s that my son isn’t here with us. It kind of spoils things really, but I know it’s what he wants and I know it’s what is best for him just now so we are making the most of the time he’s here just now. Hopefully soon he’ll be over for an extended holiday, and (dare I say it) he’ll want to stay here.

All in all, we love it here. The kids are thriving, I’m (hopefully) going to jump start a career and my OH is at work most of the time (what more can a girl want )

RIght, I'm off for a beer. Cheers all

Last edited by Wendy; Jul 6th 2007 at 8:19 am.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to celebrate....

Congratulations to us both Wendy. I remember we were both going through all the leaving stuff this time last year - think you landed in Oz about three days ahead of me. Fingers crossed for your son's arrival here and to the next year.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Congratulations to us both Wendy. I remember we were both going through all the leaving stuff this time last year - think you landed in Oz about three days ahead of me. Fingers crossed for your son's arrival here and to the next year.

Thanks (again )

We landed on 7th July, just as you were setting off.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Janet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud of

Hi Wendy

Great post. Glad you are enjoying Australia. Am I right in thinking you are in Brisbane? We are off there in August. Exited but apprehensive at the same time. My eldest who has just finished his second year of Uni in the UK will not be living with us as he has to finish his degree but then he wants to get experience in the UK before he hopefully comes over to live permanently. It is going to break our hearts saying goodbye after the initial six weeks he is with us to start with Have to console ourselves that he will be back again at Christmas and then following his degree.

What career are you going to kick start soon? I wish you luck with it and hope that you continue to enjoy and thrive in Australia. I hope that we will be as happy as with only five weeks until we go I think by the time we get on our plane me and my OH will have driven each other up the wall

Janet x
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:19 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Wendy....it's funny when we arrived in Australia i felt the same way as you ' something just didn't click ' ...i was very disappointed and when i phoned the UK i think they were happy TBH because maybe they thought i wasn't going to go afterall. But as the days passed like you i started to feel that this was ' right '......and i knew it would be the place i wanted to live.

Happy 1 year in Australia , here's to any many more
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:47 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad your enjoying it and making progess, well done.

Dave
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:44 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

blimey, have you been there a year already!!???

only seemed like a few months ago that we met at sheffield train station!!

sue xx
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Janet Rutledge
Hi Wendy

Great post. Glad you are enjoying Australia. Am I right in thinking you are in Brisbane? We are off there in August. Exited but apprehensive at the same time. My eldest who has just finished his second year of Uni in the UK will not be living with us as he has to finish his degree but then he wants to get experience in the UK before he hopefully comes over to live permanently. It is going to break our hearts saying goodbye after the initial six weeks he is with us to start with Have to console ourselves that he will be back again at Christmas and then following his degree.

What career are you going to kick start soon? I wish you luck with it and hope that you continue to enjoy and thrive in Australia. I hope that we will be as happy as with only five weeks until we go I think by the time we get on our plane me and my OH will have driven each other up the wall

Janet x
We're in Adelaide. Hoping to go up to the East coast next year for a holiday though, so may just meet you there.

I'm still abit unsure of what I want to do, but I'm looking at doing a Uni course and getting some qualifications. Will keep you all posted on what I decide.

Originally Posted by Issie
Great post Wendy....it's funny when we arrived in Australia i felt the same way as you ' something just didn't click ' ...i was very disappointed and when i phoned the UK i think they were happy TBH because maybe they thought i wasn't going to go afterall. But as the days passed like you i started to feel that this was ' right '......and i knew it would be the place i wanted to live.

Happy 1 year in Australia , here's to any many more
Cheers

Originally Posted by mindblower
Glad your enjoying it and making progess, well done.

Dave
Thanks

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
blimey, have you been there a year already!!???

only seemed like a few months ago that we met at sheffield train station!!

sue xx

I know!. It's well over a year, probably going on two
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey If anyone had asked I would have said you'd been here about 6 or 7 months Don't time fly......... congrats hon. How's your boy enjoying himself?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Blimey If anyone had asked I would have said you'd been here about 6 or 7 months Don't time fly......... congrats hon. How's your boy enjoying himself?

Aye, time flies when you're having fun and all that

He's enjoying it, or so he says
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:29 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

A year, blimey thats flown. I'd have said 6 months.

Glad its going well Wendy, all the best in your new house and for the future.

Enjoy your beer

Joex
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Aye, time flies when you're having fun and all that

He's enjoying it, or so he says
Glad you're settling
We must try and get Soapy to organise a meet if you are coming up this way - I believe he has small gatherings occasionally
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe
A year, blimey thats flown. I'd have said 6 months.

Glad its going well Wendy, all the best in your new house and for the future.

Enjoy your beer

Joex
Thankyou
Originally Posted by Pollyana
Glad you're settling
We must try and get Soapy to organise a meet if you are coming up this way - I believe he has small gatherings occasionally
I've heard that too, you think he'd do a post about these things wouldn't you
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I think that he tries to keep it under his hat a bit Wendy , otherwise he would be unindated with poms

Not unindated, I meant inundated, hick lol

Last edited by auspal; Jul 6th 2007 at 3:55 pm. Reason: spelling , I have had a few beers LOL
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Happy 1st Anniversary Wendy

All the best for the future

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.