Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Tim tams and tantrums - 3 months in Sydney

Tim tams and tantrums - 3 months in Sydney

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tim tams and tantrums - 3 months in Sydney

Hi all,

We (a couple with a 2 year old boy) have been in Sydney for 3 months and on the whole are really happy here. We’ve bounced around between the UK and Taiwan, Dubai, Italy and Hong Kong over the past 6 years and this move has been the most successful so far. Here’s my take on things :

Things I like….

- the weather (goes without saying)

- the upbeat and friendly locals

- the food – multicultural (with perhaps an overkill of thai restaurants), great quality, healthy and delicious

- the aesthetics of the city – I didn’t expect such greenness or pretty Victorian architecture. The harbour and all the little bays are gorgeous

- the family-friendliness – evening events which kids are welcome at, free babycinos served everywhere, great playgrounds and buggy ramps

- the birds – the first time I saw a rainbow lorikeet flying through the trees I almost cried !

- the wholesome youth culture – teenagers here do loads of healthy extra curricular stuff, wear their school socks pulled-up and seem to be sweet, helpful citizens

- the council-provided facilities – great community centres, libraries,
sports fields and playgrounds. People actually use them and they’re not vandalised or graffitied

- the fact that weekends aren’t spent in B&Q or in front of the TV, they’re all about trips to the beach or the park, al fresco meals out or to the frequent outdoor festivals

- did I mention the weather ?!

Things I’m not so keen on….

- the Sydney rental market – we spent a hairy few weeks going from inspection to inspection, being intimidated by the hoards of other house-hunters and trying to justify spending a small fortune on a tiny townhouse with peeling paint

- the shops – supermarkets lack the choice and quality of UK ones and are a 3rd more expensive. Clothing shops are either mega-pricey or cheap and poor quality. I’m disappointed with the lack of style and flair here. It certainly can’t compete with London in this respect

- the TV – rubbish, but I shouldn’t be watching it anyway

- the chocolate – God I miss Cadburys (the UK-made stuff)

- the slow and sporadic internet connection

- spiders – only 3 months in and we’ve played host to 2 enormous huntsmen

My husband feels it’s a little ‘sleepy’ and not cutting-edge enough for a major international city. He feels might not offer long-term interesting career prospects (in the field he’s in)

I’m sure I’ll get flack for the second list but it’s definitely the less significant of the two !
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Welly-2-Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tim tams and tantrums - 3 months in Sydney

Hi Crystaltipps,

Both your lists are very similar to ours (minus the spiders, but add big yucky cockroaches). Try Green & Black chocolate - it's just as good as in the UK!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:40 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I love the title of your post!

We're heading to Sydney too although not until next year...we feel like the countdown is on now though as we've set a date (July).

When applying for the rentals did you have to pay for more than one month (plus bond) in advance? I've asked on here before and most people reckon you don't have to although there were stories flying about at one point and it still worries me a little. Thought it would be good to get your experience seeing as it's recent.

cheers!

tx
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 3:43 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Crystal!

great post ...fab title
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RedT

We're heading to Sydney too although not until next year...we feel like the countdown is on now though as we've set a date (July).

When applying for the rentals did you have to pay for more than one month (plus bond) in advance? I've asked on here before and most people reckon you don't have to although there were stories flying about at one point and it still worries me a little. Thought it would be good to get your experience seeing as it's recent.

cheers!

tx
Hi

Hubby just about to apply for skills assessment but not sure who to do it through - someone else recommended ICAA like you went through. Please can you advise how long it took you please? Hubby is CIMA qualified - is this the same as you?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Great post - thanks for the update
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT

cheers!

tx
Hi RedT,

No, we only had to pay one month in advance plus the bond.

Hopefully there'll be more about to rent in July. We were looking right before Christmas which was probably the worst time.

Best of luck.

x
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Welly-2-Oz
Hi Crystaltipps,

Both your lists are very similar to ours (minus the spiders, but add big yucky cockroaches). Try Green & Black chocolate - it's just as good as in the UK!
Yum, Green & Blacks - will check it out.

I did actually find some UK-imported Wipsa Golds in Coles and they were reduced to $1 ! We have a fridge full of them now !

Abstaining from chocolate is probably a good thing for me though.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Boyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really niceBoyak is just really nice

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
Yum, Green & Blacks - will check it out.

I did actually find some UK-imported Wipsa Golds in Coles and they were reduced to $1 ! We have a fridge full of them now !

Abstaining from chocolate is probably a good thing for me though.
Who would have thought that Birmingham was the place for salivating chocolate lovers, move over the swiss.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boyak
Who would have thought that Birmingham was the place for salivating chocolate lovers, move over the swiss.
Errr, anyone that knows anything about the history of chocolate?

Great post Crysaltipps & loving the title.
Glad all is going well.
Just one question, If I send my teen to Sydney, will he become sweet & helpful too???
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Errr, anyone that knows anything about the history of chocolate?

Great post Crysaltipps & loving the title.
Glad all is going well.
Just one question, If I send my teen to Sydney, will he become sweet & helpful too???
Err, No! Give him 10 years, he may manage it himself up north.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck continuing to settle in - you seem to be old hands so I'm sure you'll do fine.

- the TV – rubbish, but I shouldn’t be watching it anyway
Downloaded TV shows are your friend.

- the chocolate – God I miss Cadburys (the UK-made stuff)
You can get the real stuff at the sweet shop at the back of the food court underneath the big Myers on the corner of Market and Pitt Street. Oh and in Treats from Home in the Glasshouse shopping centre.

- the slow and sporadic internet connection
Should be spoilt for choice internet-wise in Sydney - who are you with?

- spiders – only 3 months in and we’ve played host to 2 enormous huntsmen
They're your friends - they eat other spiders and they're non-venomous.

My husband feels it’s a little ‘sleepy’ and not cutting-edge enough for a major international city. He feels might not offer long-term interesting career prospects (in the field he’s in)
Got a friend who heads up Swiss Re here who says the same, but it suits his family at the moment because the kids are young. I'm sure he'll move back by the time they reach school age though.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:48 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

They're your friends - they eat other spiders and they're non-venomous.

Too right!
I have already decided that I shall be keeping huntsmen as pets when I get to Brissie.
I have no problem with spiders, but I hate cockroaches