Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Three Years in Melbourne

Three Years in Melbourne

Old Apr 8th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice
Default Re: Three Years in Melbourne

Hi

That's an excellent post, thanks for taking the time to come back and tell us all about it...we are around the 30's - me 36 and other half will be 30 in a few months. No children either.
We had our visa grants a couple of weeks ago and have booked the one-way flights to Melbourne in September, stopping off in Singapore for a week for a bit of honeymoon (we're getting married a few weeks before we leave)

Perhaps you two, us and TechnoFreak & oh could meet up at some point?! Will send you both a pm later.

Cheers

M & J
Old Apr 8th 2007, 1:40 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi, me & the Mrs are around 30 to. I'm 48 & Mrs is 44.

Well I did say AROUND 30.
We have been in Melbourne for almost 8 years now & love it here.
This long weekend for Easter we had a BBQ at a local park with friends where we kicked around the footy. Had to stop at one point when half a dozen kangaroos came charging past us.

Had a few drinks with friends last night while sitting outside until around 1am.

Went to an AFL Football game today which was absolutely brilliant, best game Ive ever been to. Got a bit sunburnt as still 26 degrees & its April.

Where else in the world would I rather be?? NOWHERE.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

sportyscots is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

Just did an internet search on moving to Melbourne and your reply popped up! We are due to come to Melbourne in June for an intitial 2-year contract and were looking for some info. Your image of your Easter Weekend made us smile - so thank you!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:13 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

your tips are fantastic
a very good post, plenty in there for everyone

good luck
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_J
Hi

That's an excellent post, thanks for taking the time to come back and tell us all about it...we are around the 30's - me 36 and other half will be 30 in a few months. No children either.
We had our visa grants a couple of weeks ago and have booked the one-way flights to Melbourne in September, stopping off in Singapore for a week for a bit of honeymoon (we're getting married a few weeks before we leave)

Perhaps you two, us and TechnoFreak & oh could meet up at some point?! Will send you both a pm later.

Cheers

M & J
Hi guys!

Sorry to hijack the original topic, but a meet up would be great. We leave on 1st September but dont arrive in Melbourne until 22nd October.

Singapore is FANTASTIC we totally loved it. How long are you stopping there?

If you havent booked your hotels yet I can recommend The Ritz Carlton and The Oriental. The Ritz is a 6* and the rooms and fitness centre are awsome. The Oriental is 5* and is the most amazing hotel once you get inside. I cant describe the interior - it's superb, and the breakfast is something else. I would love to go back and stay there sometime again. It's in a good location as well, right on the marina.

One thing you absolutely must do in Singapore is the night safari. It's only about 25-30 dollars each way in a taxi. Leave Singapore about 6:45pm. It opens at 7:30pm I think and it's about 25 minutes in a taxi. It's a nighttime zoo but you travel through the enclosures on an electric tram. Make sure you get the tram ticket as well as the park pass as it's great. It is just so well done.

Anyway,

Enjoy your wedding, and honeymoon - and see you in Australia!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best updates I've read in ages - totally agree with so many different aspects!

I happened upon my friendly Aussie mentor when I booked youngest into Kindy - thank goodness, she's been my saviour! From best dentist to dinner parties she's been wonderful!

Well done!