Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Two weeks in!! UPDATED Now 1 Year!!

Sydney - Two weeks in!! UPDATED Now 1 Year!!

Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:39 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney - Two weeks in!! UPDATED Now 1 Year!!

Hi all,
I won't make this too long, just a quick precis of my perceptions!!
Still live in Manly, still commute by Ferry/bus and still love it! Rentals have gone down in price and we actually have stayed where we are and got reduced from 700 to 650 a week!! Bonzer!!!
Visited some great places now we have a car, Blue Mountains, Windsor, Kurangai Park, Palm Beach, The Entrance, Canberra.....loads and all free!!!
Wife has a great job in Seaforth and is convenient for our lads childcare which is still of a very good standard.
I am really into it here, the food, the lifestyle and with the summer the beach!! I used to hate sea water and sand but now, almost every day (well, until this week with the onset of Autumn!!) me and the boy trot across the road barefoot in our budgie smugglers and enjoy playing in the water. His confidence in water, and life in general I would say, has grown immensely.
Every now and then my wife misses her mates in the UK, the girly chats, the gossip and her family. But, when she feels a bit low she grabs a glass of wine and sits on the balconey and almost immediately capturs the essence of why we are here. Christmas was a bit bizarre being in this hemisphere but I had made some great friends with work and we spent Christmas with some wonderful peiople, their families and friends on a vineyard in the Canberra Yass wine district. That particularly made my wife enjoy it more and I have just realised that wine plays an important part in our enjoyment of Oz!!!
Anyone wants any answers to questions just fire away and I promise to be as honest and objective as possible!! Will we stay?? Dunno, we do like it here and on a 3 year 457 so will have a good look at our options in another years time!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Sydney - Two weeks in!! UPDATED Now 1 Year!!

Originally Posted by paddyo
Hi all,
I won't make this too long, just a quick precis of my perceptions!!
Still live in Manly, still commute by Ferry/bus and still love it! Rentals have gone down in price and we actually have stayed where we are and got reduced from 700 to 650 a week!! Bonzer!!!
Visited some great places now we have a car, Blue Mountains, Windsor, Kurangai Park, Palm Beach, The Entrance, Canberra.....loads and all free!!!
Wife has a great job in Seaforth and is convenient for our lads childcare which is still of a very good standard.
I am really into it here, the food, the lifestyle and with the summer the beach!! I used to hate sea water and sand but now, almost every day (well, until this week with the onset of Autumn!!) me and the boy trot across the road barefoot in our budgie smugglers and enjoy playing in the water. His confidence in water, and life in general I would say, has grown immensely.
Every now and then my wife misses her mates in the UK, the girly chats, the gossip and her family. But, when she feels a bit low she grabs a glass of wine and sits on the balconey and almost immediately capturs the essence of why we are here. Christmas was a bit bizarre being in this hemisphere but I had made some great friends with work and we spent Christmas with some wonderful peiople, their families and friends on a vineyard in the Canberra Yass wine district. That particularly made my wife enjoy it more and I have just realised that wine plays an important part in our enjoyment of Oz!!!
Anyone wants any answers to questions just fire away and I promise to be as honest and objective as possible!! Will we stay?? Dunno, we do like it here and on a 3 year 457 so will have a good look at our options in another years time!

Great post and hubby loves the wine is an important part of life in Oz!!!!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - Two weeks in!! UPDATED Now 1 Year!!

Great post paddy & good to hear that all is going well for you
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:37 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Have I got deja vu, or has this been split off from another thread? Could have sworn I read it a week or so ago.

Well done Mr and Mrs Paddyo; glad it has worked out for you and that you are still loving Manly. Did the change in ferry arrangements affect you at all?

Not far behind you myself. Last Easter we were here looking for somewhere to live (moved 3 weeks later), a year on and we're living here and...erm...looking for somewhere to live. This time, to buy. Got the UK Police Checks back, the Singapore ones are being processed (I hope) as is the Skills Assessment. ENS App here we come. Oh and I finally gave in and got myself a job, started on 1st April. Life is good.

There, that was my update.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Have I got deja vu, or has this been split off from another thread? Could have sworn I read it a week or so ago.

Well done Mr and Mrs Paddyo; glad it has worked out for you and that you are still loving Manly. Did the change in ferry arrangements affect you at all?

Not far behind you myself. Last Easter we were here looking for somewhere to live (moved 3 weeks later), a year on and we're living here and...erm...looking for somewhere to live. This time, to buy. Got the UK Police Checks back, the Singapore ones are being processed (I hope) as is the Skills Assessment. ENS App here we come. Oh and I finally gave in and got myself a job, started on 1st April. Life is good.

Shocking Seasider, you could have at least made the effort to have your own thread
Hope the new job is going well btw!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:56 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Great post paddy & good to hear that all is going well for you
Thankyou....it is!!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:57 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by nbn8
Great post and hubby loves the wine is an important part of life in Oz!!!!
Very much so!!!! lol
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:59 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Yes, de je vu is correct!!! I had originally added it to my two weeks thread but thought it might get lost!! You moved to Milsons Point didn't you, small 2 bed cottage? We are still continuing to rent but obviously if we make it permanent we will look to buy!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:09 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

McMahons Point, next door to Milsons. As from next week we'll be on a month to month lease as it suits us best, but we've promised to give the LL 2 months' notice instead of the obligatory 21 days.

Certainly won't be buying in this 'burb, although would love to.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

McMahons Point, next door to Milsons. As from next week we'll be on a month to month lease as it suits us best, but we've promised to give the LL 2 months' notice instead of the obligatory 21 days.

Certainly won't be buying in this 'burb, although would love to.
Is that the one with that one horrible 1960s style 30 storey apartment block on the promontory - and not a lot else?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Is that the one with that one horrible 1960s style 30 storey apartment block on the promontory - and not a lot else?
Blues Point Tower. Fantastic views from it even if you're not too keen on the design, a "classic" by Harry Seidler - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Point_Tower
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:38 pm
Auntie Fa

That's the one. Apparently there was a plan for the whole point to be built up that way. Horrors!

Thankfully it wasn't; there are still cute cottages and terraces galore and it's a very des res area. Here's my little rental. And I mean little
Attached Thumbnails Sydney - Two weeks in!! UPDATED Now 1 Year!!-oor-hoose.jpg  
Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:00 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Blues Point Tower. Fantastic views from it even if you're not too keen on the design, a "classic" by Harry Seidler - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Point_Tower
Interesting bit at the end of that Wiki entry ...

Blues Point Tower is considered by many Sydney residents to be an eyesore, or at least inconsistent with its surrounding buildings or cityscape. When confronted, Seidler stated "Come on, this is old news, stupid bloody nonsense, I'm sick to death of it. It's a journalistic gimmick. I've always thought Blues Point Tower is one of my best buildings and I stand by that. Anybody who can't see anything in it ought to go back to school."

Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Interesting bit at the end of that Wiki entry ...

Blues Point Tower is considered by many Sydney residents to be an eyesore, or at least inconsistent with its surrounding buildings or cityscape. When confronted, Seidler stated "Come on, this is old news, stupid bloody nonsense, I'm sick to death of it. It's a journalistic gimmick. I've always thought Blues Point Tower is one of my best buildings and I stand by that. Anybody who can't see anything in it ought to go back to school."

I'd better go back to school then. It's a flaming eyesore and definitely overdue for demolition. Can understand people living there as the views much be fantastic but for everyone else? Ghastly :curse:
Old Apr 16th 2009, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'd better go back to school then. It's a flaming eyesore and definitely overdue for demolition. Can understand people living there as the views much be fantastic but for everyone else? Ghastly :curse:
Stayed there once on a trip to Sydney. Lying in bed you could see the whole bridge stretched across the window and the OH in the background. Building does stick out though.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.