Sydney 2 months in

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:40 am
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
asher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: in the Sydney asylum
Posts: 20,690
asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney 2 months in

flew here with Quantas wheelchair service and they were brilliant except for the stop in Bangkok this was an hour but it is laid out so that you have to walk the whole length of the airport twice going through 2 lots of security checks before getting back on the plane, lots of tears from people having their duty free bought in the airport taken off them as they were liquids over 100mls!!

Arrived Sydney and it was hot! a good view of the harbour coming in. Our flat is in Edgecliff an inner east suburb with a good view of the harbour and plenty of breezes.

the pollution here is bad though I havent had asthma for years but had to buy a ventolin inhaler due to traffic pollution!

We hired a car and went looking at suburbs I thought the northern beaches and was keen on Manly before we went looking and OH fancied a ferry to work. On travelling around the Avalon area was my first love but the transport links to the CBD are horrendous no train few buses and a jam packed road. However to my surprise I fell in love with Cronulla in the south right on the beach and with good transport to the cbd.

Sydney has so much to see it still feels like a holiday cockle bay is lovely and I spent a day just riding the ferries which was fun.

I find the heat a bit hard to bear at times as I hate sweating, most trains and buses have aircon but not all of them.The cancer council does moisturiser and make up with a high spf so finally stopped looking like a shiny beacon with suntan lotion on my face got my hat there as well!

We haven't needed a car so far as train and bus tickets are far cheaper and more reliable than in the UK.

I have not looked for a job due to my poor health but have been offered a couple just through chatting to people apparently respiratory specialists are in short supply.

The rental system is a bit different here you can apply for many but without putting any money down you cannot have it reserved for you, if you put money down on more than one you risk losing the money on the one you don't want. Not all estate agents are honest either having had 3 apartments pulled from under our feet 2 by the owners and one by an estate agent with a crony!! There is not so much of a shortage in Sydney now, finding a longer than 1 year lease can be difficult as well.

medicare were odd!! that is all I can say I ended up with a 4 month card and will get a permanent one when i come back next time.

we are on a 457 visa so I went to immigration to get my visa added to my passport before we went to Fiji for Xmas, only an hours wait and got my orange sticker!

was dissapointed in the shopping at first till I learnt my dear husband had not shown me any of the main shopping areas and once I had found these I was happy he wasn't though

Sydney is a fantastic city with much to see and do and the suburbs are so varied that there is somewhere for everyone whatever your tastes. lots of trees and parks I love watching the fruit bats pour out of the botanical gardens at 8pm coming right past our balconey!

Sydney is far nicer than London and i love it!! it's early days yet though will give an update in a few years time!!
asher is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:26 am
  #2  
to be or not to be...
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 195
bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Asher, I hope you really enjoy Sydney, it is a fabulous city and my old stopping ground. Pollution from cars is pretty nasty anywhere, but I found when the weather is hot is seems to be worse . I hope that your health doesnt suffer to much. Best of luck with your new life.
bluejohn is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:47 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Fab update K!!

Glad to hear that you have taken your OH in hand where the shopping is concerned. Typical man.

Hope you start feeling better soon - is your new area further from big roads? That would help I should imagine.

Enjoy your time in Sydney and get back there soon!
Fly Away is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:34 am
  #4  
Thread Starter
 
asher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: in the Sydney asylum
Posts: 20,690
asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Originally Posted by Fly Away View Post
Fab update K!!

Glad to hear that you have taken your OH in hand where the shopping is concerned. Typical man.

Hope you start feeling better soon - is your new area further from big roads? That would help I should imagine.

Enjoy your time in Sydney and get back there soon!
yep the new place is right near the beach and a lot further away from the CBD I have the shopping sorted now and an offer to take me to chatsworth which I have been told is a fab big shopping centre!! shame I've spent all the money!! seems I have expensive tastes!!
asher is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:30 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Originally Posted by asher View Post
yep the new place is right near the beach and a lot further away from the CBD I have the shopping sorted now and an offer to take me to chatsworth which I have been told is a fab big shopping centre!! shame I've spent all the money!! seems I have expensive tastes!!
LOL at the money.

Take the OH to Chatsworth on pay day.

The new location certainly sounds lovely. Hope your asthma improves.
Fly Away is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:54 pm
  #6  
Former Resident Visa
 
Jaycee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Mornington Peninsula
Posts: 2,887
Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Great to hear your settled. My Dad was in Rosella/Balmain when I last visited in 06 which I really liked but was expensive!
J x
Jaycee1 is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:46 pm
  #7  
Thread Starter
 
asher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: in the Sydney asylum
Posts: 20,690
asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Originally Posted by Fly Away View Post
LOL at the money.

Take the OH to Chatsworth on pay day.

The new location certainly sounds lovely. Hope your asthma improves.
Not taking the OH to Chatsworth, just his wallet

the new location is great you will have to come and visit
asher is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:13 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Fly Away's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Happily in Adelaide
Posts: 11,994
Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Originally Posted by asher View Post
Not taking the OH to Chatsworth, just his wallet

the new location is great you will have to come and visit
LOL. That's the best idea! Men only clutter the place up when you're shopping.

I'll certainly pop in when we're in Sydney visiting the family!
Fly Away is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:58 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
chris and farideh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: In an ice box
Posts: 2,969
chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

You are one busy lady, glad you have found nice area to move in, & spend all your OH money, he needs to keep you happy, doesnt he.
chris and farideh is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:17 am
  #10  
Thread Starter
 
asher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: in the Sydney asylum
Posts: 20,690
asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Sutherland shire is great! i love living in cronulla we have the cafe life everyone is on about fabulous beaches and good shopping centres and sydney center is a ! hour train journey away.
asher is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:31 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
mad city fan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Where the sun always shines
Posts: 3,627
mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Hi Ash Great to hear you are enjoying life in Sydney may you continue to enjoy and shop till you drop girl
mad city fan is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:27 pm
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Sally Simpson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tropical North QLD
Posts: 21,434
Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Lovely update K. Great to hear you are enjoying it
Sally Simpson is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:28 am
  #13  
Thread Starter
 
asher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: in the Sydney asylum
Posts: 20,690
asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Originally Posted by sallyclaire View Post
Lovely update K. Great to hear you are enjoying it
Oh I am you wait till you get to Oz I am sure you will love it
asher is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:57 pm
  #14  
 
Issie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,918
Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Originally Posted by asher View Post
flew here with Quantas wheelchair service and they were brilliant except for the stop in Bangkok this was an hour but it is laid out so that you have to walk the whole length of the airport twice going through 2 lots of security checks before getting back on the plane, lots of tears from people having their duty free bought in the airport taken off them as they were liquids over 100mls!!

Arrived Sydney and it was hot! a good view of the harbour coming in. Our flat is in Edgecliff an inner east suburb with a good view of the harbour and plenty of breezes.

the pollution here is bad though I havent had asthma for years but had to buy a ventolin inhaler due to traffic pollution!

We hired a car and went looking at suburbs I thought the northern beaches and was keen on Manly before we went looking and OH fancied a ferry to work. On travelling around the Avalon area was my first love but the transport links to the CBD are horrendous no train few buses and a jam packed road. However to my surprise I fell in love with Cronulla in the south right on the beach and with good transport to the cbd.

Sydney has so much to see it still feels like a holiday cockle bay is lovely and I spent a day just riding the ferries which was fun.

I find the heat a bit hard to bear at times as I hate sweating, most trains and buses have aircon but not all of them.The cancer council does moisturiser and make up with a high spf so finally stopped looking like a shiny beacon with suntan lotion on my face got my hat there as well!

We haven't needed a car so far as train and bus tickets are far cheaper and more reliable than in the UK.

I have not looked for a job due to my poor health but have been offered a couple just through chatting to people apparently respiratory specialists are in short supply.

The rental system is a bit different here you can apply for many but without putting any money down you cannot have it reserved for you, if you put money down on more than one you risk losing the money on the one you don't want. Not all estate agents are honest either having had 3 apartments pulled from under our feet 2 by the owners and one by an estate agent with a crony!! There is not so much of a shortage in Sydney now, finding a longer than 1 year lease can be difficult as well.

medicare were odd!! that is all I can say I ended up with a 4 month card and will get a permanent one when i come back next time.

we are on a 457 visa so I went to immigration to get my visa added to my passport before we went to Fiji for Xmas, only an hours wait and got my orange sticker!

was dissapointed in the shopping at first till I learnt my dear husband had not shown me any of the main shopping areas and once I had found these I was happy he wasn't though

Sydney is a fantastic city with much to see and do and the suburbs are so varied that there is somewhere for everyone whatever your tastes. lots of trees and parks I love watching the fruit bats pour out of the botanical gardens at 8pm coming right past our balconey!

Sydney is far nicer than London and i love it!! it's early days yet though will give an update in a few years time!!
So happy for you K
Issie is offline  
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:44 am
  #15  
Thread Starter
 
asher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: in the Sydney asylum
Posts: 20,690
asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney 2 months in

Originally Posted by Issie View Post
So happy for you K
thanks D,

the move to Cronulla went well we only lost 2 pairs of sunglasses that my OH forgot to take out of the hire van when he returned it!!

Oh big verandahs are lovely till you realise they get covered in black dust and you have to keep washin the darn things!!
asher is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.