Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A success story in Recession...Sydney rocks

A success story in Recession...Sydney rocks

Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

OZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really niceOZrisky is just really nice
Smile A success story in Recession...Sydney rocks

Hi, This is the first time I am posting on this forum but must say I learnt so much from it and drew so much inspiration that I feel its time to give back some of this to the rest of them out there still having doubts and dreaming about Australia. I am originally from India and lived in Leeds for 6 years with my other half. Had a well paid jobs, lovely house and the best of friends....was still somehow not satisfied with our lives.....the people were great and polite but the lifestyle was a big let down....was stuck indoors most of the time and even at 28 felt I was nearing 82 sometimes....all we did on most days was just sit in watching TV and any plans to go out had to be saved up for the summer (still at the mercy of rain Gods who seem to be very generous in showering their love all the time)....I realised one day that half our lives would just fly past indoors and began researching about Australia....right from Jobs to properties to life style.....kept dreaming about it for 3 years and studied 6 Accountancy subjects inspite of having 2 Master's qualifications just to make sure that I qualify for a PR.

January 21st 2008 saw us recieving our 136 visas and here we are in sunny Sydney after just over a year.....we've been here for a month now and wanted to share our experience with everyone.....I started applying for jobs in late January and after applying for 2 jobs I was interviewed by two of the Big 4 banks here and a week later was offered a role in my chosen field.....the whole process was so straight forward and I was pleasently surprised at our good luck.....never thought I would secure a job before moving here......just goes to show that everyone's experience differs and just give it ur best shot...u'd never know whats in store for you but being positive about that whole thing is vital.

Rented in Surry hills...its a lovely inner suburb of Sydney and would strongly recommend it to those that wish to stay close to the CBD......Sydney is awsome...we are loving every minute here.....as a place u really cant find faults with it....and as far as my personal opinion goes I wouldnt want to live in any other country but Oz.....its so beautiful and breath taking.....if blue is ur favourite colour then this is the place.....blue skies and blue waters....it certainly makes my day when I walk in the white beaches here.....my wife and me keep thanking God for bringing us to this beautiful land....its really unbelievable that we are living our dreams here....we love the variety here....one can never get bored....shopping is also really good...u just need to spend the time to find the right shops and u'll see its not that expensive....so is it like living in London...certainly not....we've never felt its crowded here...yes the traffic can get a bit annoying...but I think its just getting to this state everywhere......food is fresh and eating out is far cheaper to UK.....every food court has a wide range right from Italian to Japanese, Thai, Chinese, English and Indian curry....its also very multi cultural here and I love the high rised sky scrappers....the public transport too is just fantastic like London....so as someone who lived in the UK would I like to go bak and live there again....in terms of life style a definite No....We see this as a much better place to raise kids....but yes we miss our friends there like everyone else....so anyone having doubts...just jump into it and give it time...u'd just love this place....I know its recession and everyone is saying play safe....but our experience has been that u can do it if ur determined to do it....sorry for the long post.....all the best to all the OZpirants.....anyone looking for friends and interested to meet up in Sydney...pls let us know we are in the same boat.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A success story in Recession...Sydney rocks

Thanks for the inspiration - keeping us going whilst we wait! A very nice post.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:28 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you have settled in so quickly and are loving Sydney, Ozrisky. As somebody who also came from Leeds (although not directly) I can see why you say you love what you love about Sydney. We've been here just under a year.

I'm not a great fan of the CBD - although I started work last week too so all going well will be spending a lot of time there - but to me Sydney is all about the water. Not necessarily the beaches, but I originally come from the coast (UK) and being by the harbour just feels "right". It soothes my soul. And you're right about the blue, although we're not seeing a lot of it this week are we? Also, you've got Winter to look forward to so don't throw out all your woolly pullies just yet.

Sydney has its downsides - I think public transport is a filthy horror but then I came from Singapore, and there are areas I feel a lot less than safe - so do be realistic, there are times you're going to be frustrated with it, but it sounds like you worked damn hard to get here so enjoy it.

Welcome.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Nice to read a positive post!!!!
Good luck for the future!!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE] Looks like you have nailed it, enjoy the ride.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by OZrisky
Hi, This is the first time I am posting on this forum but must say I learnt so much from it and drew so much inspiration that I feel its time to give back some of this to the rest of them out there still having doubts and dreaming about Australia. I am originally from India and lived in Leeds for 6 years with my other half. Had a well paid jobs, lovely house and the best of friends....was still somehow not satisfied with our lives.....the people were great and polite but the lifestyle was a big let down....was stuck indoors most of the time and even at 28 felt I was nearing 82 sometimes....all we did on most days was just sit in watching TV and any plans to go out had to be saved up for the summer (still at the mercy of rain Gods who seem to be very generous in showering their love all the time)....I realised one day that half our lives would just fly past indoors and began researching about Australia....right from Jobs to properties to life style.....kept dreaming about it for 3 years and studied 6 Accountancy subjects inspite of having 2 Master's qualifications just to make sure that I qualify for a PR.

January 21st 2008 saw us recieving our 136 visas and here we are in sunny Sydney after just over a year.....we've been here for a month now and wanted to share our experience with everyone.....I started applying for jobs in late January and after applying for 2 jobs I was interviewed by two of the Big 4 banks here and a week later was offered a role in my chosen field.....the whole process was so straight forward and I was pleasently surprised at our good luck.....never thought I would secure a job before moving here......just goes to show that everyone's experience differs and just give it ur best shot...u'd never know whats in store for you but being positive about that whole thing is vital.

Rented in Surry hills...its a lovely inner suburb of Sydney and would strongly recommend it to those that wish to stay close to the CBD......Sydney is awsome...we are loving every minute here.....as a place u really cant find faults with it....and as far as my personal opinion goes I wouldnt want to live in any other country but Oz.....its so beautiful and breath taking.....if blue is ur favourite colour then this is the place.....blue skies and blue waters....it certainly makes my day when I walk in the white beaches here.....my wife and me keep thanking God for bringing us to this beautiful land....its really unbelievable that we are living our dreams here....we love the variety here....one can never get bored....shopping is also really good...u just need to spend the time to find the right shops and u'll see its not that expensive....so is it like living in London...certainly not....we've never felt its crowded here...yes the traffic can get a bit annoying...but I think its just getting to this state everywhere......food is fresh and eating out is far cheaper to UK.....every food court has a wide range right from Italian to Japanese, Thai, Chinese, English and Indian curry....its also very multi cultural here and I love the high rised sky scrappers....the public transport too is just fantastic like London....so as someone who lived in the UK would I like to go bak and live there again....in terms of life style a definite No....We see this as a much better place to raise kids....but yes we miss our friends there like everyone else....so anyone having doubts...just jump into it and give it time...u'd just love this place....I know its recession and everyone is saying play safe....but our experience has been that u can do it if ur determined to do it....sorry for the long post.....all the best to all the OZpirants.....anyone looking for friends and interested to meet up in Sydney...pls let us know we are in the same boat.
A nice post from a person with positive attitude. We are also from India and planning 2 migrate. Hope that we also have the same experience as you had
Cheers
Sanjay
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Nice positive post. Glad all going well for you as it sounds like you worked very hard to get here
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:57 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Nice positive post. Glad all going well for you as it sounds like you worked very hard to get here
Certainly agree with all the OP has said, although inner city life in Surry Hills is not for us and we prefer Manly, but the good thing about Sydney is that there is something for everybody. Also agree with Seasider about public transport, but yes, you have been spoilt in Singapore! lol
Well done Ozrisky, enjoy the land my friend!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:57 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OZrisky

GOLD!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the positive, uplifting post OZrisky! Nice to read something good for a change...

Did you go through a recruitment agency, or contact the banks directly?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

and if you call in the next 5 minutes you receive an extra set of knives, for free!