Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Still here; still loving it

Still here; still loving it

Old Jul 21st 2020, 2:36 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Still here; still loving it

Hello folks. Got PR a year ago now and still loving life in Australia. Just after getting PR I travelled to the UK and when I came back I found my marriage had unexpectedly (to me!) ended. Started my new career, got on with life and recently met a lovely Australian woman and life here just gets better and better. Love seeing the whales; love my daughters having all the amazing opportunities of life here; love my new career and its challenges. About to buy the house I have been renting since arrival.
Life is good. Unexpected changes but in the end, all good. And it is true that what doesn't kill you certainly makes you stronger.
Citizenship application about to go in ...
With love, the happy Bourbon Biscuit ... who will hopefully become a Tim Tam
Old Aug 17th 2020, 2:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still here; still loving it

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Hello folks. Got PR a year ago now and still loving life in Australia. Just after getting PR I travelled to the UK and when I came back I found my marriage had unexpectedly (to me!) ended. Started my new career, got on with life and recently met a lovely Australian woman and life here just gets better and better. Love seeing the whales; love my daughters having all the amazing opportunities of life here; love my new career and its challenges. About to buy the house I have been renting since arrival.
Life is good. Unexpected changes but in the end, all good. And it is true that what doesn't kill you certainly makes you stronger.
Thanks for the update BB, it's great to hear that you're enjoying life in Australia. You have exactly the right sort of approach to life that sees people make a success of living in a new country, overcome and adapt to the unexpected challenges and grab the opportunities with both hands. Wishing you, your partner and your daughters every happiness in the future and I'm looking forward to toasting your citienship, er, your Tim Tam
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 12:34 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Another year in: been in Australia 5.5 years now and been living overseas since January 2007.

More changes to the Bourbon's life this year: I moved to Canberra. Newcastle is too small when your ex husband takes up with another woman in the same health service and being in Newcastle was making my younger daughter ill so we moved to be in the same city as my older daughter and her now-fiancee. I landed on my feet with a fantastic new job I love, and there has been talk of exciting promotions. Still with my woman, happily managing long distance. Still in love with Australia and the life it has given me: oldest daughter graduated from ANU with her double degree and bagged a great job in the public service sector and bought an apartment with her boyfriend. They love climbing and skiing and all things Canberra. We love living near them. Younger daughter is completing her high school qualification at a college and planning to go to ANU also. She has chronic fatigue (3 yrs now) and not being able to adjust to an often almost disabled daughter is one of the reasons my husband left but my daughter and I have adjusted our lives and she may move out of home next year with me close by so she can come back when she needs to. I have adjusted to the vast distances and can happily drive to Newy for the weekend. Recently drove to SE Q'land to swim with turtles. Planning a solo road trip to Alice Springs when COVID settles.

Got my letter of citizenship acceptance in the post - just go to have a ceremony and then the BB becomes a Tim Tam. I love the opportunities and lifestyle Australia has to offer. It has taken hard work and heartbreak to get here but I know I will grow old and die here. I expected that to be with the man I met in adolescence and loved all my life but life is nothing if not full of unexpected change. I can do change, it turns out.

My girls appreciate their lives here. Older one loves the freedom and environment and career opportunities - she will never move back I don't think. Younger one is still wistful about NZ and the UK but time will tell.

BB
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 3:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Another year in: been in Australia 5.5 years now and been living overseas since January 2007.

More changes to the Bourbon's life this year: I moved to Canberra. Newcastle is too small when your ex husband takes up with another woman in the same health service and being in Newcastle was making my younger daughter ill so we moved to be in the same city as my older daughter and her now-fiancee. I landed on my feet with a fantastic new job I love, and there has been talk of exciting promotions. Still with my woman, happily managing long distance. Still in love with Australia and the life it has given me: oldest daughter graduated from ANU with her double degree and bagged a great job in the public service sector and bought an apartment with her boyfriend. They love climbing and skiing and all things Canberra. We love living near them. Younger daughter is completing her high school qualification at a college and planning to go to ANU also. She has chronic fatigue (3 yrs now) and not being able to adjust to an often almost disabled daughter is one of the reasons my husband left but my daughter and I have adjusted our lives and she may move out of home next year with me close by so she can come back when she needs to. I have adjusted to the vast distances and can happily drive to Newy for the weekend. Recently drove to SE Q'land to swim with turtles. Planning a solo road trip to Alice Springs when COVID settles.

Got my letter of citizenship acceptance in the post - just go to have a ceremony and then the BB becomes a Tim Tam. I love the opportunities and lifestyle Australia has to offer. It has taken hard work and heartbreak to get here but I know I will grow old and die here. I expected that to be with the man I met in adolescence and loved all my life but life is nothing if not full of unexpected change. I can do change, it turns out.

My girls appreciate their lives here. Older one loves the freedom and environment and career opportunities - she will never move back I don't think. Younger one is still wistful about NZ and the UK but time will tell.

BB
Really pleased to hear from you BB and so glad that you are happy . Very much deserved .
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

BB
The only two places I’d live in Australia are Canberra and Newcastle. More on in Canberra and ski resorts close.
Old Jul 7th 2021, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's always lovely to hear of a success story, well done to you and your family and good luck with the citizen application. ps I like Tim Tams but I love (and miss) Cherry Ripes
Old Jul 9th 2021, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

BB
So glad it has all worked out for you! Dont tell everyone that living here in Canberra is pretty good, they'll all want to come!
Old Jul 9th 2021, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
So glad it has all worked out for you! Dont tell everyone that living here in Canberra is pretty good, they'll all want to come!
They are. Early 2020 North Canberra was the fastest growing area in the country.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 9:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased that it's all working out for you BB. Wish we'd gone to Aussie. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really pleased it worked out well for you, that's fantastic! Congratulations.

Did you answer all those tricky questions and get your citizenship? I don't think I've ever swotted so hard for anything else in my life

Oh wait, I just read your other post

BB

Last edited by Brisbannite; Oct 14th 2021 at 8:29 pm.