British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   so much to take in... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/so-much-take-761717/)

Mummy3 Jun 14th 2012 12:10 pm

so much to take in...

ok, jet lag and a cold, hyper out of routine kids...
but also loving the warmth, yes its warmer in Melbourne than summer in UK!! the sounds of the birds, the friendliness everywhere, it really has been a good couple of days.
just need to think about a rental, a car, medicare forms, getting to grips with new banking, registering to work.

got a mobile sim today, but found my uk was phone was locked, luckily have old phone with us so swapped them over, not using uk phone as costing a fortune, but also a fortune to terminate.
but feeling positive and off to tour potential suburbs tommorow...

and to work out how to shop cheaper... eek!!

Luthien Jun 14th 2012 10:29 pm

Re: so much to take in...

If you are staying in the city you might try Queen Vic Market at the top of Queen St for fresh fruit and veg for the kids. Better prices than the supermarkets.

lhanna01 Jun 14th 2012 11:40 pm

Glad its going well Mummy3, enjoy all that is to come.

Alfresco Jun 15th 2012 9:17 am

Welcome to Oz! :thumbup:

Swapped drivers licences yet?

Like It Is Jun 17th 2012 11:43 am

Second the advice to shop at markets.

carolinephillips Jun 19th 2012 1:52 am

Nice that someone is warm......I'm freezing here.

I got my phone unlocked at one of those local stalls- didn't cost too much.

paddyo Jun 22nd 2012 1:22 am

I just returned from Adelaide yesterday, it was a bit wet but quite mild...very different to Sydney where its a wee bit chilly today!!
But my Oz colleagues were complaining that it was 'freezing' in Adelaide, amazing that I still have that Pommie weather factor still....I was walking around in a shirt and these big woosies had coats and scarves on!!

rasen78 Jun 23rd 2012 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10118693)
but also loving the warmth, yes its warmer in Melbourne than summer in UK!! the sounds of the birds, the friendliness everywhere, it really has been a good couple of days.
just need to think about a rental, a car, medicare forms, getting to grips with new banking, registering to work.

got a mobile sim today, but found my uk was phone was locked, luckily have old phone with us so swapped them over, not using uk phone as costing a fortune, but also a fortune to terminate.

Tell me about it. Was 12.5oC in Alton Towers yesterday. The day after the summer solstice:eek:

Glad you've got there and sounds like you are settling. Good luck with it all:thumbup:

Mummy3 Jun 23rd 2012 10:06 am

just had my birthday and it always rains, no matter what country!
still not found a rental or car... but we will get there! well we need to, am not going back!!

Alfresco Jun 23rd 2012 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10134576)
just had my birthday and it always rains, no matter what country!
still not found a rental or car... but we will get there! well we need to, am not going back!!

We hired our car through Thrifty in Brisbane. Great car for a week. No probs handing it back. :thumbup:

http://www.thrifty.com.au/

Mummy3 Jun 23rd 2012 9:20 pm

Sorry, by rental meant house! Have rental car and may need to extend it...

Bermudashorts Jun 23rd 2012 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10135248)

I literally bought the first car I saw at the first showroom we stopped at when we started our car hunting trip. :o

Alfresco Jun 23rd 2012 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10135248)

Ah! ok. :)

Buzzy--Bee Jun 26th 2012 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10118693)

Welcome to paradise!

BB

paddyo Jun 26th 2012 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10135331)
I literally bought the first car I saw at the first showroom we stopped at when we started our car hunting trip. :o

That'll teach you to blindly walk into a Cherry showroom! :)