Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Six whole years in Aus today.....

Six whole years in Aus today.....

Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six whole years in Aus today.....

Thanks guys.

Really it has been this last year that I've really felt at home. We have made some cracking friends and they don't feel "new' now. We have memories of things we have done for the past few years and it feels easier. I also seem to bump into people when I nip to the shops now. I'm also able to spend time interacting with other parents (especially the older kids) now that Matt and Flynn are going it alone and I don't need to be around for them so much. We have also moved into the edge of the burbs and i walk everyday and am beginning to get to know the neighbors enough to pass the time of day and chat for 5 mins.....just really simple things, but somehow its all just clicked in the last 12 months.

I wrote this on another forum last week in reply to someone who is feeling a bit home sick..........

We have had to face a couple of life and death situations that made me yearn for "home" and if someone had of said heres the cash and we've sorted out removals I'd have been gone!

However this last year something has definitely shifted. I just feel at home, at peace....We are now citizens, not that I was bothered either way, but I do have a true blue passport so I suppose its more "official". We also have our own dinky Di Aussie boy and have moved to what I can only describe as my dream home (IE would never have thought we would ever have an opportunity to own such a big house!) Hubby is back at work after 2 years recuperating and I am back where I'm happiest, being my own boss. We also had a scary, but bonding day on Black Saturday and to be caught up in our community at that time was humbling, but also brought with it a real sense of the great Aussie Mateship that everyone gives lip service too...I was proud to be an Aussie at that time...and since... (Reading that back I sound really strange I know!)

So yeah, tweaking is what its come down to I guess. Its not JUST about the mc mansion, the pool, the private school, the new car, the acerage, the burb, the beaches and barbies, but its about EVERYTHING ticking the boxes and lets face it, its never going to happen overnight is it?

So yeah, far from overnight, and I still yearn for village greens, country pubs and the peal of the church bells on a Sunday morning, but there are things I'd miss just as much if I went back now....
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:42 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I can get those here. Next?
No, no Next....its terrible......
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
No, no Next....its terrible......

I still can't fathom that one.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 11:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Six whole years in Aus today.....

Good onya Hevs, great to hear that you're going so well.

Old Oct 30th 2009, 3:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Happy Anniversary mate!!

Can't imagine what it feels like to have been here for six whole years.........yet
Ooooh look, its now Hallowe'en...... NOW I know how it feels to have been here six whole years........

Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:03 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I say well done

No seriously well done.

I remember you had the guts to post when things were not going well at all and am really glad that things are more positive now. Another of our long time posters (mentioned the same in pollies scene stealing post ) who is a great addition to this forum.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:19 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations (and your house really is gorgeous)
Old Nov 5th 2009, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

No, it's not going to happen overnight. That is so true. I can see me being more settled in the next year or so, when we move to a nice city and I can get a nicer house with a bit of space. That would make it about 6 years for me too!
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:09 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by seang
I say well done

No seriously well done.

I remember you had the guts to post when things were not going well at all and am really glad that things are more positive now. Another of our long time posters (mentioned the same in pollies scene stealing post ) who is a great addition to this forum.
awww shucks...thanks Mate
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:14 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hevs, sorry that I haven't congratulated you and Hup before. It is amazing how you have been able to keep so positive, especially since you have had so many trials and tribulations since arriving here. It is great that things are finally looking up.

Good luck to all of you for the next 6, 12, 18...........years.

xxxxx
Carl
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:47 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
Wow! Time flys by. It feels like home at last. Matt and I just discussed it, and whilst we miss his family, neither of us could imagine living back in the UK now at all.
Snap , i here ya