Six Months in Adelaide

Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:36 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Six Months in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Tarnee22
Fantastic news!!!! You must be getting really excited now. Who you flying with and have you got some accommodation sorted?
Oh yes, there has been a little tension waiting but it's been worth it. Just got back from getting the passports labelled

We're flying to Melbourne (Emirates) as it was a lot cheaper than and a week earlier than any carrier we could find (saving £1000). We are either going to fly on to Adelaide or possibly get the train as the little girl (17 months) may fancy being let loose

Accomodation, not booked any yet. I have emailed a recruitment officer who has offered me work in Gawler but he's on holiday so may just book something for a few weeks.

Cooler
Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Tarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Oh yes, there has been a little tension waiting but it's been worth it. Just got back from getting the passports labelled

We're flying to Melbourne (Emirates) as it was a lot cheaper than and a week earlier than any carrier we could find (saving £1000). We are either going to fly on to Adelaide or possibly get the train as the little girl (17 months) may fancy being let loose

Accomodation, not booked any yet. I have emailed a recruitment officer who has offered me work in Gawler but he's on holiday so may just book something for a few weeks.

Cooler
All sounds good - I've heard that the train can be fun but I would be tempted just to take the 1 1/2 hr flight from Melbourne myself. Let me know how you are going on and if you need any suggestions on where to stay just let me know.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Styler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tarnee22
Hi Cooler

We are based in Mawson Lakes in the NE of Adelaide, good rental choices and public transport access into the city, very pretty suburb. Has some downsides main one of which is shocking adsl broadband coverage so we have to go to mobile wireless access.

I'm just across the street from you on Bridge Road!! I have family in ML's, go to the hotel for beers quite a lot on Friday nights in the summer

Originally Posted by hannash
listen there tarnee ,thanks for your reply first of all it means a lot ,were just so undecided were to go .is the likes of those suburbs far from the nearest beach or are you not familiar with the area that much
Semaphore is really lovely. Very expensive though! But to be honest if you live 'inland' there's a beach not too far away. It only takes about 40 minutes to get to Glenelg from the NE suburbs so no big drama's there...and you could get all the way down to Seaford in just over an hour.

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Thanks for all your advice, we've certainly taken it on board.

I have actually been informally offered 5 days supply (I'm a teacher) in Gawler which would probably lead to a full-time job.

Appears a bit far out for us but I'd like to have a look at it.

Thanks,
Cooler
Gawler is really lovely. We looked at living there when we first got here, couldn't quite afford it though! It's certainly somewhere I would consider now though.

Originally Posted by mohogony
When l lived in Adelaide in rained quite alot in winter but not much in summer,
never saw any snakes, Theres spiders around but its not something anyone worries about considering no one has died from one in the past 30 years,
I stood on a snake within 6 months of getting here! Nearly had heart attack Haven't seen one since though thank God!

Originally Posted by trice_ie
tarnee

good post, were you expecting it to be this wet/cold over last couple of months. we moved down from nth qld in april and god we got such a shock. Some days it's just like being at home!
This has been a particularly long winter, this is the most rain I have seen in the (almost) 4 years I have been here. We 'do' need it though I guess! Still wish it would give up now though
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

hey dude good post how many days a week does it rain in winter or is there weeks with no rain and then days and days of rain
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

hey dude good post how many days a week does it rain in winter or is there weeks with no rain and then days and days of rain
It really depends. We have been in drought for a long time and rain is pretty scarce most of the time. This winter has been pretty wet and it's not so much how many days of rain, but more how much at once. The other week it rained so much we had to get some guys in to drain the water as we couldn't get out of the car park at work! (I do work on a building site though ) and that was only half an hour of rain!

Winter can feel pretty long, but generally it doesn't last much more than 3 months, 4 at most. It's probably harder to get used to the hotter days of 37 degrees and over to be honest.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

do building workers tend to loose much time in the winter months in sa like here due to rain or do they do inside work ,im a bricklayer and we have lost a lot of time this winter and last but what i was looking forward to most if we ever get to oz is the fact that you know for certain that your getting a fantastic summer even if it is to hot (or maybe the more physical trades like mine loose hot time )
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

do building workers tend to loose much time in the winter months in sa like here due to rain or do they do inside work ,im a bricklayer and we have lost a lot of time this winter and last but what i was looking forward to most if we ever get to oz is the fact that you know for certain that your getting a fantastic summer even if it is to hot (or maybe the more physical trades like mine loose hot time )

Well I work in civil engineering, not so much construction in the sense you would work. We have lost about 3 weeks due to rain this winter, but that's for things like asphalting or line marking on the roads which can't be done whilst it's raining. We can generally get them to do other stuff though, so make time up that way. The guys have to down tools when it's over 38 degrees outside, last year we lost about 2 weeks due to the temperatures, but again time was made up by them doing night works instead.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

once again thanks for the reply and when were on the subject is adelaide still busy work wise i mean trades and stuff
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

once again thanks for the reply and when were on the subject is adelaide still busy work wise i mean trades and stuff
We seem to be holding up pretty well, but I haven't really been taking that much notice to be honest.

I have a friend who is a sparky, and he always has plenty of work.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

fair enough
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

fair enough
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Davy2Win is an unknown quantity at this point

My family and I are moving to Adelaide in 6 months time. Got a job in Law Enforcement (POLICE). Not been to Australia before so we are doing this blind. What areas would you recommend for us to stay in?? It all looks nice on Google Earth but can`t get a feeling, obviously, of the good parts and bad parts.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant futureTarnee22 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Davy2Win
My family and I are moving to Adelaide in 6 months time. Got a job in Law Enforcement (POLICE). Not been to Australia before so we are doing this blind. What areas would you recommend for us to stay in?? It all looks nice on Google Earth but can`t get a feeling, obviously, of the good parts and bad parts.
Hi Davy

This is one of those depends questions! Depends on
What is your budget?
Where will you be working?
What do you like, seaside, suburbs, city?

My best piece of advice is don't buy straight off, have a good look around and see what areas you like. Will you be doing a furnished rental when you arrive? or do you need to find somewhere straight off?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:26 am
Just Joined

kiltedscot is on a distinguished road

Not been on here for a while. Arrived in Adelaide in Jan. 2008, from Ayr, Scotland with our 2 boys, 13 and 16. Living in Flagstaffhill/ Aberfoyle Park area. Great reports on the local(public) school, Aberfoyle High School which was 1 of the main reasons for living here. Boys enjoying the school. Rented here for 1st year and have now bought our own house here. The southern sub.seem to be popular with newcomers due to location and more for your money. If i can answer any questions then happy to help. Oh! 1 more thing. C`mon the CROWS,
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Davy2Win

Hi Davy,

Any idea's where you will be working? If you're not sure, you'd be best getting temporary accommodation somewhere pretty central. Try looking around West Lakes/Glenelg or even around the city to start with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.