British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Scrawni and her life Oz-UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/scrawni-her-life-oz-uk-424809/)

Scrawni 2 Feb 14th 2007 5:32 pm

Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

I still have alot of family in the Stourbridge area, some have moved to B'ham and wait for it ..... some have moved to Torquay :eek:

RooksieJ I suppose it is normal to feel worried even though you have made up your mind to go. I really really want to make a final decision but one day I say yeh, next day no.

I remember it took me ages to make my mind up last time and it took us nearly 18mth to ge the visa so gave us ample time to get our heads around the idea. This time it we will have to put the house on the market (not like last time) and do thing properly.

Mandy

RooksieJ Feb 16th 2007 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 4404762)
I still have alot of family in the Stourbridge area, some have moved to B'ham and wait for it ..... some have moved to Torquay :eek:

RooksieJ I suppose it is normal to feel worried even though you have made up your mind to go. I really really want to make a final decision but one day I say yeh, next day no.

I remember it took me ages to make my mind up last time and it took us nearly 18mth to ge the visa so gave us ample time to get our heads around the idea. This time it we will have to put the house on the market (not like last time) and do thing properly.

Mandy

our house is on the market today - i feel sick :ohmy:

Bix Feb 16th 2007 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by RooksieJ (Post 4412091)
our house is on the market today - i feel sick :ohmy:

No you don't.....it's excitement ;)

RooksieJ Feb 16th 2007 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 4412139)
No you don't.....it's excitement ;)

you could be right there lion :thumbup: either that or im pregnant again :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bix Feb 16th 2007 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by RooksieJ (Post 4412144)
you could be right there lion :thumbup: either that or im pregnant again :eek: :eek: :eek:

:eek: Quick, get the scissors :lol:

RooksieJ Feb 16th 2007 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 4412148)
:eek: Quick, get the scissors :lol:

well i been trying to talk jed into gettin the snip :eek:

theyoungs Feb 16th 2007 4:45 pm

Rooksie,

Yoohooooooo, well done for making the first steps back to Oz.

Here you go again:rofl: :rofl:

I can imagine that you do feel as sick as a pig but think positive and I'm sure it will all come good.

Good on ya mate!

I wonder if me or Scrawni2 will be following?

Michelle :D

RooksieJ Feb 16th 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by theyoungs (Post 4412764)
Rooksie,

Yoohooooooo, well done for making the first steps back to Oz.

Here you go again:rofl: :rofl:

I can imagine that you do feel as sick as a pig but think positive and I'm sure it will all come good.

Good on ya mate!

I wonder if me or Scrawni2 will be following?

Michelle :D

i hope so!!!! dont make me do it alone!! :unsure: :unsure:

Scrawni 2 Feb 16th 2007 7:30 pm

:D Good on ya! Well, I am getting closer to making a decision, instead of being 60% sure, I am about 80%. What has got me excited it that my daughter and her boyfriend are thinking about coming out with us :D :D (but it may be only a years working holiday - but its a start).

Alone, what's that? you are never alone, we will be rootin for ya!

Mandy

RooksieJ Feb 17th 2007 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 (Post 4413180)
:D Good on ya! Well, I am getting closer to making a decision, instead of being 60% sure, I am about 80%. What has got me excited it that my daughter and her boyfriend are thinking about coming out with us :D :D (but it may be only a years working holiday - but its a start).

Alone, what's that? you are never alone, we will be rootin for ya!

Mandy

That mate is brilliant news. you must be massively relieved. :thumbup: :thumbup: fantastic. if only my eldest (although she is only 11) would change here mind on Oz :unsure:

stevensfamily Feb 17th 2007 11:38 am

Originally Posted by theyoungs (Post 4393272)
Hello there, this is my first time of posting even though I have been reading the different forums since 2002!!!!!

We (me, hubby, Kyle then 6 and rhys then 3) emigrated to South Australia in April 2004. I have family there albeit it was the first time we had ever spent time together. They were fantastic, however, the lure of home was too great at the time and we returned in November 2004.

We landed in Old Blightly absolutely skint and had to start over again.

However, hubby didn't really want to come back it was me really who instigated the whole thing. Kyle didn't settle too well either, he is quiet sole yet Rhys is like a lunatic!! he seemed to fit in very well thank you.

Any way to cut a long story short, our circumstances are very similar to Hiddenpaw, in so much as my hubby now has a decent job and I work alongside him too (except school holidays where I am allowed to stay at home, how lucky am I).

But despite all this, the Oz thing just doesn't go away and it just seems to slowly eat away at you from inside.

We have talked about nothing else since returning but I am scared stiff of making the same mistake again.

One day I am all set for going, the next day the doubt starts to creep in.

Some times I wish we had never gone at all.

Oh well, c'est la vie!! :blink:

Michelle

April to November thats a long holiday not emmigrating

RooksieJ Feb 17th 2007 11:48 am

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 4415592)
April to November thats a long holiday not emmigrating

oh silly us because we, theyoungs and scrawni all took our furniture on holiday with us but thanks for pointing out the error of our ways

stevensfamily Feb 17th 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by RooksieJ (Post 4415605)
oh silly us because we, theyoungs and scrawni all took our furniture on holiday with us but thanks for pointing out the error of our ways

I appologise but I think after going through the hell of getting a Visa, I do not understand only giving it a try for 7 months. It must take that long to sort out the basics such as places to live schooling etc. I think anyone who goes through the visa process must tell themselves to give it at least a couple of years before throwing the towel in because you cannot really experience a settled life until you have established a real life in your chosen location. April until November is far too short a time to judge your new life in any true fashion, the most stressful time settling in a new country is the first year or so as you have so much to discover and learn, I can say this from experience . I have been going through the visa process for over a year now and can guarantee that after this amount of time invested in going to Oz I would not make an assumtion that it is not for us until I have invested as much time at least in living there!!!!

RooksieJ Feb 17th 2007 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 4415647)
I appologise but I think after going through the hell of getting a Visa, I do not understand only giving it a try for 7 months. It must take that long to sort out the basics such as places to live schooling etc. I think anyone who goes through the visa process must tell themselves to give it at least a couple of years before throwing the towel in because you cannot really experience a settled life until you have established a real life in your chosen location. April until November is far too short a time to judge your new life in any true fashion, the most stressful time settling in a new country is the first year or so as you have so much to discover and learn, I can say this from experience . I have been going through the visa process for over a year now and can guarantee that after this amount of time invested in going to Oz I would not make an assumtion that it is not for us until I have invested as much time at least in living there!!!!

Believe me, and this is the voice of experience, you just dont know whats in store or what is round the corner. always expect the unexpected. i landed in brisbane and discovered i was pregnant, i was seriously ill and came back to UK and ended up in hospital. now im not saying they dont have hospitals in australia ;) but i needed my family around me at the time. moral of the story is, dont judge other peoples experiences until you know all the facts some of which are very private to that family and why the hell should they explain themselves or their motives on an open forum anyway :blink: turning our lives upside down and our children's and spending a shed load of money isnt something we ping pongers take on lightly :eek:

sorry mate - raw nerve! :thumbup:

stevensfamily Feb 17th 2007 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by RooksieJ (Post 4415668)
Believe me, and this is the voice of experience, you just dont know whats in store or what is round the corner. always expect the unexpected. i landed in brisbane and discovered i was pregnant, i was seriously ill and came back to UK and ended up in hospital. now im not saying they dont have hospitals in australia ;) but i needed my family around me at the time. moral of the story is, dont judge other peoples experiences until you know all the facts some of which are very private to that family and why the hell should they explain themselves or their motives on an open forum anyway :blink: turning our lives upside down and our children's and spending a shed load of money isnt something we ping pongers take on lightly :eek:

sorry mate - raw nerve! :thumbup:

Appologies and I am glad your situation turned out OK. I suppose because I have lived in several countries and although I have fantastic parents and extended family my true family is under my roof and it is only them that really matter and after dragging my children to a new home and life it is also sad to drag them back again, after all they need a settled life (this is the main reason for us going to Oz). You need to work, food shop and pay bills everywhere in the world and if you truely work at your new life then you can be happy as long as you are safe, politically unthreatened and not fiancailly struggling, anywhere in the world. I do not mean to come across as judging you mearly to point out that due to my own experiences of having to move all over the world due to my husbands job it is important for people to understand that you feel unsettled in your new country for a while and if you allow this feeling to settle and start to live your new life without looking backwards then your new life can be rewarding and your family under your roof can be settled and happy.