Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
come Jan 2008, Grace will be Year 8 and Daisy will be Year 3. we also have a new addition, Eve, but she's got a few years to go yet!!

so do yours attend the school mate - that would be pretty cool!!!
Hello again!

yes, our two tiddlypeeps attend St A's and we are really happy with the school - more than happy actually. Have you spoken to them at all yet? Cairns can be fairly transient, so families moving in and out of the area all the time, so if you don't get the girls a place straightaway, theres plenty of time. I'm figuring that year 8 would not be too troublesome for them to place Grace (it's the early years that are pretty full, from what I know) but therefore Daisy would be placed in year 3 as they always like to accomodate siblings. Prep facillities and staff are great here too, so Eve will be well looked after one day...

Although we are not religious, it's quite nice to see the kids experiencing a spiritual element to their education, as the morals and values are basically the same as we hold ourselves and at the end of the day, our kids will make up their own minds and they have the option to do that.

Let me know how you get on and good on ya for giving it nother go - I think you're very brave!!!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snakemanjake
Steandleigh,

How's tricks? Last time we spoke you were just moving/just moved into your new house. As you will have read we are thinking about making the move again!! It's a bugger cause the house prices have gone up a bit but hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing eh?

Hope you and yours are doing well.

Mandy

Hi Mandy!

Yeah, we are all fine, I've had some ill health recently and have been in and out of hospital (which is a bit inconvienient when you have two kids, a working husband, uni study and no family support) but we are getting there.

Yes, we moved out of our rental and into our new build which we're really happy with - a few minor dramas with the builders but nothing major really. Just lovely to be in 'our' home and not a rental.

House prices have shot up a fair old bit but if you look on:

www.realestate.com.au

you'll see there are still nice houses to be had at a reasonable price...I'm sure you have already been looking! Good for you all for giving it another go - it can't have been easy for you all with having a daughter back in the UK. You obviously have an adventurous spirit and thats to be praised, IMO.

Good luck and let me know how you are getting on, Leigh. x
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:32 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Google Earth is about 2 years out of date so you'll have to check the fields as that's all my house was back then
just for the record the google earth pics of cairns are less than 10 months old.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 7:14 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hello again!

yes, our two tiddlypeeps attend St A's and we are really happy with the school - more than happy actually. Have you spoken to them at all yet? Cairns can be fairly transient, so families moving in and out of the area all the time, so if you don't get the girls a place straightaway, theres plenty of time. I'm figuring that year 8 would not be too troublesome for them to place Grace (it's the early years that are pretty full, from what I know) but therefore Daisy would be placed in year 3 as they always like to accomodate siblings. Prep facillities and staff are great here too, so Eve will be well looked after one day...

Although we are not religious, it's quite nice to see the kids experiencing a spiritual element to their education, as the morals and values are basically the same as we hold ourselves and at the end of the day, our kids will make up their own minds and they have the option to do that.

Let me know how you get on and good on ya for giving it nother go - I think you're very brave!!!

thanks matey. have received email from them to say they are sending out enrolment package and when i receive this and return it with relevant docs, they will arrange a telephone interview - YIKES Fingers crossed - i feel very positive and looking forward to eventually getting over there! Cant wait actually

Yep, gonna give it another go - total disaster last time although Eve was TOTALLY worth it
Old Mar 6th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

That's the attitude Rooksie.........good on ya mate

After all the uncertainty it's great to hear such positive, fighting talk.

Michelle
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by theyoungs
That's the attitude Rooksie.........good on ya mate

After all the uncertainty it's great to hear such positive, fighting talk.

Michelle
thanks mate!!! wanna buy a house in torquay!!??!!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

If I was in the market it could be very tempting!!!!!

But, don't forget we havn't ruled out returning to Oz ourselves, so we may just be joining you and Scrawnie2 on the list of recent returnees to be

Be rest assured you good people of BE will be the first to know of our decision when it is decided once and for all

Best of luck with the house sale mate, everything is crossed for you and Scrawnie2 and any others who are in the transition

Never a dull moment eh!

Michelle
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by theyoungs
If I was in the market it could be very tempting!!!!!

But, don't forget we havn't ruled out returning to Oz ourselves, so we may just be joining you and Scrawnie2 on the list of recent returnees to be

Be rest assured you good people of BE will be the first to know of our decision when it is decided once and for all

Best of luck with the house sale mate, everything is crossed for you and Scrawnie2 and any others who are in the transition

Never a dull moment eh!

Michelle
you are outvoted 3 to 2 mate so you might as well jump on the band wagon!!! go on, you know you want to
Old Mar 6th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

All in good time my dear, all in good time

Michelle
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Hi Mandy, my sister in law felt just as you did when she settled in cairns, the didnt have children but still missed home a lot. They did settle and have been there for 5 years now. Im applying now with my family too. Ive done lots of soul searching but we both feel we need to try it before its too late. Was there anything in particular about cairns itself you didnt like weve visited many times now and love it but its different living there isnt it. My son is 15 and daughter 12 we are both 37. Can you offer us any advice, maybe if you do return we could support each other. Good luck Trudi
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trudi,

I have 2 children aged 12 and 20 and to be honest I loved Cairns and it wasn't the place that brought me back. It is a very relaxed and chilled out place to live.

I found it quite male orientated, especially the fishing, 4x4, beer and barbie etc. but don't let that put you off, they have a big shopping centre with a cinema attached.

We were based at the southern end of Cairns at Bentley Park which has its own state school. Our son did encounter some bullying but apparently he was the only english lad in the whole school. If we were to go back I would probably pay to go to a religeous school. Check your schools carefully.

There is so much to do that doesn't cost a fortune, great if you have kids. Often we would all head down to the lagoon after schools out and swim before tea. Weekend we would dump the swimming stuff in the back of the car and find a watering hole to swim in (you soon get to know the safe areas to swim). Many weekend we would be invited to bbque's from friendly people who hardly knew us or even out in their boats etc. Great lifestyle.

I think food is slightly more expensive that Brisbane or the Gold Coast. Not only do you have to pay for the kids uniforms but you also have to buy all their equipment etc when the start school and pay yearly fee which came to about $200 to $300 if I remember (thats uniform & equipment & fee).

We didn't find renting a house too much of a problem and we found a 4 bed for $270 a week but was going up to $290 when we left. I thought this was reasonable. Renting at any of the beaches will cost you more, or having a pool. The real estate lady even helped us with the cleaning on the day we left, now that's what I call service! (mind you she knew we had a plane to catch). Remember though that prices have gone up slightly and the same house will probably cost $300-$320 per week rent.

When we go back I have said that we must get a house with a pool (cause I want one ). I also think that with kids it sort of helps them when making friends cause they can have a reason to invite people over.

When are you thinking about going? We went in July last time and it was chilly enough for a cardigan in the evening, daytimes were fine. However, it will help you aclimatise better.

Keep in touch Trudi, even if we don't go back to Cairns, I will be happy to lend my support anyway.

Last edited by Scrawni 2; Mar 22nd 2007 at 5:21 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I have put a couple of photos of Cairns on the photo gallery.

Mandy
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Hello all,

Hope some of your remember me, we went to Cairns and ended up coming home after 9mths. Anyhow we have been back for nearly 2 years and I can't believe how time has flown.

For all of you that don't know our story, we emigrated, our 17 daughter just validated her visa and then came back, so it was my husband and I and our 10 year old son. I was homesick and missed our daughter terribly. On top of that our housesale fell through so we decided to come home.

I just loved being back amongst family and friends and life is good. I work full time and love my job. My husband 'dunroamin' went back to work for the same company he had left. At first he found things very hard, he didn't really want to come home, he fitted into the ozzie lifestyle just fine.

The last 2 years have been hard, it did put a strain on our relationship for a while but we worked through it and have come out smiling and stronger than ever. I loved oz but never wanted to return. My how things change. I am thinking about returning but I haven't made up my mind. I have even thought of moving somewhere completely different in the uk. Why, well because if we don't do it now we never will.

We saw family on a regular basis when we first returned but now we only see then once a month really. Friend have their own lives so finding the time to catch up is difficult. My daughter has her own life, she rarely at home these days and is looking to move out with her boyfriend.

So, there you have it, shall I be a ping pong pom?? Life is good, food is cheap, weather hasn't been bad at all and we are slowly getting back to where we were before we left. So why am I thinking about returning?

Is it that you don't truly feel settled anywhere after moving and experiencing another way of life?

Who knows, but we have until 2009 to decide!

Mandy
Hey mandy, just wanted to say all the best with whatever you decide!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxx
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Thanks for the reply, its really good to hear from like minded people. Ive just watched a programme from the bbc about british nurses heading for cairns i hope there is still room there for us. I hope i can learn to be patient, but im the sort of girl who worries all the time. It sure looks lovely out there still, thats what makes it all worthwhile just hope the kids can settle and adapt too. thanks again keep in touch Trudi sorry we will go probably in a year if the visas come through i think thats about how long it takes at the moment, but asap
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the support guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.