Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:30 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Scrawni 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,187
Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Hello all,

Hope some of your remember me, we went to Cairns and ended up coming home after 9mths. Anyhow we have been back for nearly 2 years and I can't believe how time has flown.

For all of you that don't know our story, we emigrated, our 17 daughter just validated her visa and then came back, so it was my husband and I and our 10 year old son. I was homesick and missed our daughter terribly. On top of that our housesale fell through so we decided to come home.

I just loved being back amongst family and friends and life is good. I work full time and love my job. My husband 'dunroamin' went back to work for the same company he had left. At first he found things very hard, he didn't really want to come home, he fitted into the ozzie lifestyle just fine.

The last 2 years have been hard, it did put a strain on our relationship for a while but we worked through it and have come out smiling and stronger than ever. I loved oz but never wanted to return. My how things change. I am thinking about returning but I haven't made up my mind. I have even thought of moving somewhere completely different in the uk. Why, well because if we don't do it now we never will.

We saw family on a regular basis when we first returned but now we only see then once a month really. Friend have their own lives so finding the time to catch up is difficult. My daughter has her own life, she rarely at home these days and is looking to move out with her boyfriend.

So, there you have it, shall I be a ping pong pom?? Life is good, food is cheap, weather hasn't been bad at all and we are slowly getting back to where we were before we left. So why am I thinking about returning?

Is it that you don't truly feel settled anywhere after moving and experiencing another way of life?

Who knows, but we have until 2009 to decide!

Mandy
Scrawni 2 is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:29 am
  #2  
Naughty but nice...
 
Wendy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: at the bottom of a wine glass
Posts: 28,176
Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 View Post
Hello all,

Hope some of your remember me, we went to Cairns and ended up coming home after 9mths. Anyhow we have been back for nearly 2 years and I can't believe how time has flown.

For all of you that don't know our story, we emigrated, our 17 daughter just validated her visa and then came back, so it was my husband and I and our 10 year old son. I was homesick and missed our daughter terribly. On top of that our housesale fell through so we decided to come home.

I just loved being back amongst family and friends and life is good. I work full time and love my job. My husband 'dunroamin' went back to work for the same company he had left. At first he found things very hard, he didn't really want to come home, he fitted into the ozzie lifestyle just fine.

The last 2 years have been hard, it did put a strain on our relationship for a while but we worked through it and have come out smiling and stronger than ever. I loved oz but never wanted to return. My how things change. I am thinking about returning but I haven't made up my mind. I have even thought of moving somewhere completely different in the uk. Why, well because if we don't do it now we never will.

We saw family on a regular basis when we first returned but now we only see then once a month really. Friend have their own lives so finding the time to catch up is difficult. My daughter has her own life, she rarely at home these days and is looking to move out with her boyfriend.

So, there you have it, shall I be a ping pong pom?? Life is good, food is cheap, weather hasn't been bad at all and we are slowly getting back to where we were before we left. So why am I thinking about returning?

Is it that you don't truly feel settled anywhere after moving and experiencing another way of life?

Who knows, but we have until 2009 to decide!

Mandy

Hi Mandy,

Do you think that maybe you just returned too soon, probably because of your daughter, I know what it's like to have your first born on the other side of the world so fully understand where you are coming from there!.

I wish you luck whatever you decide.
Wendy is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:31 am
  #3  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,533
TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Hey Mand I remember you!!!

All confused aren't you?!!! I think you've got it right when you say an expat never feels settled anywhere else ever again. It's the curse isn't it?

Whatever you do I hope it works out for you. There's been plenty of ping-pommers in the past and there'll be plenty more in the future!! Perhaps come back and try a different part of Oz this time. Or like you say, try a different part of the UK first.

Good luck to you anyway. Take care.
TraceyW is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:44 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
stevensfamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Living in Melbourne and loving it!
Posts: 837
stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 View Post
Hello all,

Hope some of your remember me, we went to Cairns and ended up coming home after 9mths. Anyhow we have been back for nearly 2 years and I can't believe how time has flown.

For all of you that don't know our story, we emigrated, our 17 daughter just validated her visa and then came back, so it was my husband and I and our 10 year old son. I was homesick and missed our daughter terribly. On top of that our housesale fell through so we decided to come home.

I just loved being back amongst family and friends and life is good. I work full time and love my job. My husband 'dunroamin' went back to work for the same company he had left. At first he found things very hard, he didn't really want to come home, he fitted into the ozzie lifestyle just fine.

The last 2 years have been hard, it did put a strain on our relationship for a while but we worked through it and have come out smiling and stronger than ever. I loved oz but never wanted to return. My how things change. I am thinking about returning but I haven't made up my mind. I have even thought of moving somewhere completely different in the uk. Why, well because if we don't do it now we never will.

We saw family on a regular basis when we first returned but now we only see then once a month really. Friend have their own lives so finding the time to catch up is difficult. My daughter has her own life, she rarely at home these days and is looking to move out with her boyfriend.

So, there you have it, shall I be a ping pong pom?? Life is good, food is cheap, weather hasn't been bad at all and we are slowly getting back to where we were before we left. So why am I thinking about returning?

Is it that you don't truly feel settled anywhere after moving and experiencing another way of life?

Who knows, but we have until 2009 to decide!

Mandy
Mandy,

I can understand why you returned having your daughter back in the UK but she is an adult now and will at 17/18 go off and probably have very little to do with you now because she is breaking free on her own. Maybe Cairns was not right for you because the differnce to the UK is too great, have you considered somewhere else in Oz. Oz is great because it offers such diversity , maybe somewhere else would offer you more!. Reading between the lines you seem to be unsettled and coming back hasnt given you those things you pined for (we always remember the good things and concentrate on these so much so that UK seems to have been fantastic). Your friends have lives as do the rest of your family, you must do what is right for you and your 10year old who still has his childhood to enjoy. Does your 10 year old miss OZ?
stevensfamily is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:19 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Scrawni 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,187
Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by stevensfamily View Post
Mandy,

I can understand why you returned having your daughter back in the UK but she is an adult now and will at 17/18 go off and probably have very little to do with you now because she is breaking free on her own. Maybe Cairns was not right for you because the differnce to the UK is too great, have you considered somewhere else in Oz. Oz is great because it offers such diversity , maybe somewhere else would offer you more!. Reading between the lines you seem to be unsettled and coming back hasnt given you those things you pined for (we always remember the good things and concentrate on these so much so that UK seems to have been fantastic). Your friends have lives as do the rest of your family, you must do what is right for you and your 10year old who still has his childhood to enjoy. Does your 10 year old miss OZ?
No he doesn't seem to miss oz, he never really wanted to go the first time round and doesn't want to go now either so I will have a upward struggle with trying to persuade him.

The thing is I am not unhappy in the uk, I have a good job etc and at the moment life is good. I can't put my finger on why I have started to feel the way I do about oz except maybe regret??

However, my parents arn't getting any younger, I have become alot closer to my sister since my return (I think she realised how much she missed us when we wern't there). Gawd, if I carry on I might talk myself into staying!

Mandy
Scrawni 2 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 12:24 pm
  #6  
Bix
da Bonehead
 
Bix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Lion in da jungle
Posts: 22,765
Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Found you Mandy

Okay, allow me to don my professors hat and analyse your situation.

I remember exchanging emails with you during my last days in the UK and you were thinking of returning then but didn't really know why. I told you nothing in the UK had changed so questioned your motives. I'm glad you stayed on as we would never have met otherwise.

There were a number of reasons it went belly up for you that culminated in the return.

1 The pain in the ass house saga
2 You missed your daughter
3 You chose the wrong place to live. You were isolated because you couldn't drive and there were no facilities close by or public transport routes. You basically had to much time on your hands to dwell on things.
4 J didn't settle as well as you had hoped but I think that was partly picking up your vibes.

I put the house top of the list as I think without that hassle you just maybe still here now.

So what's changed ?

You would sell before coming out again. Main problem removed.
I think you realised not long after being back there that your daughters life had already begun to move on and that friends lives too were ongoing without you.
Other family ? Well, how often do you see most of them ?
Next time you will be mobile - won't you ?
Next time you will be more satisfied and content within yourself that it's the right move. That will in itself rub off to J.

I know how much the old man loved it here so I'm not surprised it put a bit of strain on your relationship. You were both strong enough to weather that though so all credit to you both.

You know we would love to see you here in Cairns again but where ever you might end up I think it will be a pretty safe bet that you'd settle this time around.

You have the tools to accomplish it Mandy it's whether your heart decides it's really what you want.

Not easy though is it ?
Bix is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:50 pm
  #7  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by Bix View Post
Found you Mandy

Okay, allow me to don my professors hat and analyse your situation.

I remember exchanging emails with you during my last days in the UK and you were thinking of returning then but didn't really know why. I told you nothing in the UK had changed so questioned your motives. I'm glad you stayed on as we would never have met otherwise.

There were a number of reasons it went belly up for you that culminated in the return.

1 The pain in the ass house saga
2 You missed your daughter
3 You chose the wrong place to live. You were isolated because you couldn't drive and there were no facilities close by or public transport routes. You basically had to much time on your hands to dwell on things.
4 J didn't settle as well as you had hoped but I think that was partly picking up your vibes.

I put the house top of the list as I think without that hassle you just maybe still here now.

So what's changed ?

You would sell before coming out again. Main problem removed.
I think you realised not long after being back there that your daughters life had already begun to move on and that friends lives too were ongoing without you.
Other family ? Well, how often do you see most of them ?
Next time you will be mobile - won't you ?
Next time you will be more satisfied and content within yourself that it's the right move. That will in itself rub off to J.

I know how much the old man loved it here so I'm not surprised it put a bit of strain on your relationship. You were both strong enough to weather that though so all credit to you both.

You know we would love to see you here in Cairns again but where ever you might end up I think it will be a pretty safe bet that you'd settle this time around.

You have the tools to accomplish it Mandy it's whether your heart decides it's really what you want.

Not easy though is it ?

Oi Bixie!!! so you like the idea of Many returning but not me eh!!!!
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:51 pm
  #8  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 View Post
No he doesn't seem to miss oz, he never really wanted to go the first time round and doesn't want to go now either so I will have a upward struggle with trying to persuade him.

The thing is I am not unhappy in the uk, I have a good job etc and at the moment life is good. I can't put my finger on why I have started to feel the way I do about oz except maybe regret??

However, my parents arn't getting any younger, I have become alot closer to my sister since my return (I think she realised how much she missed us when we wern't there). Gawd, if I carry on I might talk myself into staying!

Mandy
whereabouts in the UK are you girl because we need to meet up!!!!!!!
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:24 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Scrawni 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,187
Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by RooksieJ View Post
whereabouts in the UK are you girl because we need to meet up!!!!!!!
Thanks for the support guys, Bix nice to hear from you again.

Yes, if we go this time we do it right. We sell the house first! I am thinking about pursuading my daughter to come and travel with her boyfriend so she can at least get citizenship (so even if she goes back AGAIN then she can return later on).

Do you know, I loved Cairns and loved Oz (ok so somethings took a bit getting used to) so returning wont really be hard. We just need to decide where. Bix how are the house prices now and what areas are looking promising? Hopefully I will have passed my test by then so I will be mobile.

Roosksie, I am in Northamptonshire whereabouts are you? Maybe if we both decide to go back then we will have some support eh. By the way what's your real name? (your going to say Roosksie now arn't you)!

Mandy
Scrawni 2 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:29 pm
  #10  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 View Post
Thanks for the support guys, Bix nice to hear from you again.

Yes, if we go this time we do it right. We sell the house first! I am thinking about pursuading my daughter to come and travel with her boyfriend so she can at least get citizenship (so even if she goes back AGAIN then she can return later on).

Do you know, I loved Cairns and loved Oz (ok so somethings took a bit getting used to) so returning wont really be hard. We just need to decide where. Bix how are the house prices now and what areas are looking promising? Hopefully I will have passed my test by then so I will be mobile.

Roosksie, I am in Northamptonshire whereabouts are you? Maybe if we both decide to go back then we will have some support eh. By the way what's your real name? (your going to say Roosksie now arn't you)!

Mandy
im in devon mate.

everyone calls me rooksie!! (jacqui if ive been bad!!)

Last edited by RooksieJ; Feb 11th 2007 at 3:40 pm.
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:40 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Scrawni 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,187
Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

I've been married 10 years this year. Well that put a stop to a meet didn't it but we can keep intouch anyway

Where abouts would you be thinking about settling if you do go back? I at least when you have already been to a place then you will know a little bit about how things work, we are already signed up for medicare etc.

Mandy
Scrawni 2 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:43 pm
  #12  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

same here mate. we sorted out TFN and medicare and bank n stuff last time. we went to sunshine coast before but are thinking of trying gold coast if we go back. but who knows really, we might even go back SC because, like you say, we know the area and there are no nasty surprises in store!! only reason we really came back before was because i was so bloody ill. we didnt stand a chance and didnt really experience life in Oz at all to be honest. my head seems to be more together now (well as much as it can be!!) and i think id like to give it another shot
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:29 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Scrawni 2's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,187
Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by RooksieJ View Post
same here mate. we sorted out TFN and medicare and bank n stuff last time. we went to sunshine coast before but are thinking of trying gold coast if we go back. but who knows really, we might even go back SC because, like you say, we know the area and there are no nasty surprises in store!! only reason we really came back before was because i was so bloody ill. we didnt stand a chance and didnt really experience life in Oz at all to be honest. my head seems to be more together now (well as much as it can be!!) and i think id like to give it another shot
We have thought about the Gold coast as a option as we have friends aswell as Cairns. I suppose it boils down to where hubbie gets a job. We loved the sunshine coast when we visited. We went to an expats meet their one afternoon before heading up to Cairns. Do you have a house to sell aswell?
Scrawni 2 is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:33 pm
  #14  
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 945
RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2 View Post
We have thought about the Gold coast as a option as we have friends aswell as Cairns. I suppose it boils down to where hubbie gets a job. We loved the sunshine coast when we visited. We went to an expats meet their one afternoon before heading up to Cairns. Do you have a house to sell aswell?

yes mate. not on the market yet - still coming to terms with my oh so unexpected change of heart!! what about you? are you on the market yet?

its bazarre but you are considering the very same places we are. we were tempted by cairns. however i think it will be a toss up between SC or GC so hubbie has then got the option of travelling to brisbane if need be.
RooksieJ is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:47 pm
  #15  
Bix
da Bonehead
 
Bix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Lion in da jungle
Posts: 22,765
Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scrawni and her life Oz-UK

Originally Posted by RooksieJ View Post
Oi Bixie!!! so you like the idea of Mandy returning but not me eh!!!!
Oi! No such thing.

Although you have many things in common with Mandy you are coming from a different base that's all.

The main thing for you both though is that you have to be sure you want to do it. No half heartedness.

Oh, and I'm not saying you were halfhearted first time round but what happened knocked you both back.

If you are absolutely sure then the practical things will be easier to get your head around. In fact you will have an advantage over many in that you have Aus experience.
Bix is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.