Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Scotschick, Haggisman and Haggis Jnr - 14 Weeks Today

Scotschick, Haggisman and Haggis Jnr - 14 Weeks Today

Old Oct 1st 2007, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scotschick, Haggisman and Haggis Jnr - 14 Weeks Today

Hi All

Thought it was finally time I sat down and did a wee update on our time in Brissie.

We left Scotland on 18 June and headed down to Northants in a hire car to spend a few days with my brother before flying from Heathrow on 23 June. We didn't want any airport goodbyes as we really didn't want Haggis Jnr to be totally upset when we left. Leaving Scotland was really hard - saying goodbye to the parents was unbelievable. I have never seen my mum and dad so upset in my life and never want to see it again. Don't get me wrong they supported our decision but when it came time to say goodbye it was an absolute nightmare.

We headed down to my brother's and were able to chill for a couple of days and catch up with one of my mates who lives in West Midlands which was really nice. Again it was not too great leaving people behind. We then headed to a hotel not far from Legoland and spent the Friday and Saturday morning in Legoland. It was really great and a nice way to spend our last couple of days in the UK.

On the Saturday afternoon we headed to Heathrow for our flight out to Brisbane. As some of you know from previous posts we decided to fly business with EVA airways and I have to say it was absolutely fantastic. Couldn't fault them in any way and the flights themselves were really good which is saying something coming from me as I am not particularly fond of flying but it's obviously a necessity which I endure. The attendants were really good with Haggis Jnr and he slept most of the way anyway. We didn't do any stopovers as we just wanted to get to Oz as soon as possible.

We rented a hire car which was a bit old and bashed but it was big enough to get all the luggage plus golf clubs which the OH insisted on taking on the plane instead of sending them in the container (which he hasn't even used yet despite us being here 14 weeks later :curse. We had rented an apartment in Newstead which was okay as we kind of new the area from our previous jaunt in February but was nothing startling. Within the first week we bought a car for me and ordered the OHs Ute for work - at least that way we didn't have to waste any more money on a hire car.

By the second week we had started looking for rental accommodation and ended up looking at Carina again, a place I had really liked in February. Luckily for us there was one house available at that time and we managed to secure it. We left our rental in Newstead early so we could move into the house as we loved it. Only downside was not having our container but we bought new beds and a couple of cheap chairs from IKEA to see us through and we were fine. Our container arrived earlier than we expected and cleared customs within a few days which was fantastic. Apart from minor damage to a Christmas decoration and one picture frame everything else was intact which was fantastic. Would definitely recommend White & Co from Dunfermline they were really good in Scotland and the company they used in Brisbane were excellent.

Craig started working a few weeks after we arrived and although it was pretty crap to start with as the money was rubbish, he persevered and is now self employed working with his mate who has been here for 5 years - they had also worked together in Scotland years ago so know what to expect from each other. There were a few dodgy moments workwise when Craig would have seriously considered going back to Scotland as the money he was being offered was crap. He stuck it out though and is now earning good money. Only downside at the moment is that he works far longer hours than he did but hopefully that will change.

I started looking for work too but not too seriously as I was enjoying "taking a career break". I had always worked full time in Scotland so it was nice to have a few weeks off. Initially I thought I wouldn't work but have to say I think I would be quite bored - plus if we want to live our dream lifestyle the extra money I bring in will help. I went for a few interviews but because I was being very specific about my hours and days I was only really getting offered basic jobs and then at interview was being told I was overqualified WTF:curse: I find the whole way of registering with agencies quite strange but have now got used to it. You apply for jobs on Seek and are contacted to come in for interview but it is only an interview with an agency (most of the time) and then if they think you are suitable you will then have an interview with another company. I thought it was a bit strange but then I've never had experience of working with an agency other than to provide me with staff when I worked in Scotland. Anyway, I persevered and have now found a job that is pretty much the level I was working at in the UK without the added hassle of managing staff . I am working as a consultant for a company and will be going out to assist government departments with recruitment. The best bit about it is it's assignment based so it is up to me how little or much I work which means I can take time off during school holidays and when folks visit. Seems ideal to me but will just have to see how it pans out.

Weekends here are amazing. We have made so many friends through Expats, through school and in our street. You all know who you are . At the moment I do coffee, lunch and shopping with friends and on the weekends we usually have at least one day doing stuff with friends. Whether it's a barbie, going to the beach or visiting one of the theme parks. Life is definitely good. The weather obviously helps a lot. You can plan to do stuff and it's very rare that it has to be cancelled because of the weather.

Our son absolutely loves school. He has grown so much and is so much more confident here. He has made really good friends with a number of kids from his class and we now get together with some of the parents to have barbies or coffee which is fantastic. He used to sit inside most of the time playing the computer in the UK but is now outside riding his bike or scooter and playing with the other kids in the street. He has also started to speak Aussie which I find really funny - he does eventually slip back into broad Scots when he speaks to us though.

I'm really glad we made the decision to get him back into school within 3 weeks of arriving. I had originally thought I would keep him off for a couple of months to let him settle in but given that he is an only child it was much better for him to be in school mixing with other kids and making friends. He is now totally integrated in the school and absolutely loves it. He also loves the fact that I go in and help out with the kids reading and words one morning a week - I was never involved in school in the UK so he thinks this is great. I help out one of the other parents who is an Aussie and has been helping out for ages. It's really great as I have learned so much about the school and the area from her and have met other parents through her too. I know all the kids in his class now and have good relationships with them so at least I know who he is talking about when he comes home. He definitely prefers his knew school but then it does have 4 different play areas with play equipment in the massive school grounds plus basketball, tennis courts, an oval, swimming pools across the road, etc, etc - compared with a tiny concrete playground in Scotland - no comparison really.

I'm not going to comment much on the price of goods in Australia as it is all relative to your income. Some things are definitely good value for money others are expensive. Still love the fact that you can park at the mall for free and that there are free BBQs in the parks. The one we went to yesterday was a wood burning one and they even supplied the wood for you!!!!

I haven't really been homesick - of course I miss my parents but we have totally thrown ourselves into our new way of life. We speak to everyone and as I said every weekend we do something with friends. Saturday and Sunday just past we went to a water park with one set of friends and their son and on the Sunday we met friends from school with their kids for a barbie. Even me going to help out in school has helped us to integrate as it has opened up new friendships. I know it's been said many times before but you really have to take the bull by the horns and just go out there and talk to people. You have to make the effort. I'm sure that is part of the reason we are so happy we live a very full life at the weekend.

We are really, really happy here and really settled. Only downside at the moment is that we are renting. Not sure if we will continue to rent for another six months or whether we will look to buy but we really love the area we are in - only slight negative is that you are at least 45 mins to a decent beach but we can live with that as there are so many other positives about the area.

Will we stay here forever? I don't really know but at the moment I can't imagine being anywhere else. This is definitely home and I hope when our parents visit next year they can see why we made the move.

Cheers

Scotschick
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotschick, Haggisman and Haggis Jnr - 14 Weeks Today

Great update - thank you.

Buzzy
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

Excellent up date, glad you are lovin it,as its been said before i think you have to get out there and be socialable and join in,good idea to help out at school though,
sarah
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:06 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great update matey. Really glad everythings going well with you. Sounds like you have all really taken to your new life. Glad little man has settled in his new school and made friends.

All the best

Joexx
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jackie, glad to hear everything is going so well for you and yours. Its not that long ago that we were all in Scotland wondering when our visa's would come. Great that the wee lad has adapted so quickly. All the best for what comes next and who knows we may even manage to meet one of these days. Take care

Donna & Neil
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

Great update! Wishing you and your family all the best in Oz.
sounds like your having a fab time
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:26 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant update J
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Great to hear your all settling into your new life, sounds like your having a fantastic time.

Debbie
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great update!

So glad to hear what a great life you have!

I wanna be there...............
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of

Weekends here are amazing. We have made so many friends through Expats, through school and in our street. You all know who you are . At the moment I do coffee, lunch and shopping with friends and on the weekends we usually have at least one day doing stuff with friends.

These friends sound great - we've got some good ones too!!!!

Rach
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of

Hi, I remember chatting to you at Craigtoun Park and how you were looking forward to it. great to see it is all going well.

We arrived in Brisbane on Tuesday 2nd and are also staying in the Manhatten on Newstead apartments for three weeks. I will PM you and maybe we can meet up.

Bobby and Audrey
Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:29 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Brilliant post Jacqui,glad your all doing so well and that baby H is settled too.

Kids always settle,i should know as ive done it in the past!

Will catch up for a blether at the next do.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark 'n' joe View Post
Great update matey. Really glad everythings going well with you. Sounds like you have all really taken to your new life. Glad little man has settled in his new school and made friends.

All the best

Joexx
Thanks Joe

Yep he is totally loving it which is half the battle - happy kid = happy parents.

Jacqui x
Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil View Post
Hi Jackie, glad to hear everything is going so well for you and yours. Its not that long ago that we were all in Scotland wondering when our visa's would come. Great that the wee lad has adapted so quickly. All the best for what comes next and who knows we may even manage to meet one of these days. Take care

Donna & Neil
Hi Donna

Will definitely need to try and meet up. I can't believe how busy we are which is really good as we have totally thrown ourselves into our new life.

Jacqui x
Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Clippies View Post
Brilliant update J
Cheers K

Can't wait to meet you in January.

J x

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.