A Rural 8 Months ...

Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool A Rural 8 Months ...

My last update was in January so thought we'd share the past 6 months with you all ... (A WARNING IT'S GOT A LITTLE LENGTHY)

A brief reminder - OH sponsored in on RSMS as a Farm Manager, we're 3 hrs from Adelaide.We've two sons, now 6 and 4. Came from same industry in UK, Cambridgeshire.

Firstly and amazingly we have had masses of visitors! (My mum twice, my dad once, one best friend, In-Laws once for a month and booked for christmas again already and my brother arrived in March and hasn't gone home yet!)

We found summer good, weather was often in high 30's and we only used air con a couple of times in the house. We loved being able to eat outside every evening and bbq got masses of use. We didn't struggle too much with mossies although I do stock up on Aeroguard! As it got hotter we found flies got less of an issue but didn't disappear altogether - found the Robocan's a complete hit and wouldn't live without one now! Got membership to our two local pools and picked kids up from school and headed over there for an hour or two. At all of $2 a go it was a great way to keep entertained, cool and be social at the same time!

We ran out of rainwater for the house at the end of March and have run on bore water ever since - we're lucky in that it's fairly good quality bore water and I love being able to have deep baths again so we haven't swapped back although rainwater tanks are now full again!

The children are both loving school - I braved a birthday party for my eldest and it went well. As we're so far out from town we held it in our local park - took balloons, food, drinks, blankets to sit on, you name it! It was ideal though as I didn't have to worry about clearing up too much afterwards, it either went back in the esky or in the bin!

Eldest son has joined Auskick - this is a fantastic introduction to Aussie Rules football. It's about $25 to join and it runs every Saturday morning and lasts about 2 hrs. They learn the basics of hand balling, marking, kicking etc. They are all grouped according to age and it's well attended, both by kids and parents. I'm amazed at the parent support! We've found it a great way to meet more parents but it does mean Saturdays are a busy day!

I joined our local hockey club too - as I hadn't played since a left school this was a brave move by me and by them to allow me on the pitch with a hockey stick! We train on a Wednesday and matches on a Saturday! So we go from Auskick to Hockey. I've met another load of people and it's great fitness too! (Shan't mention how excited I am about our girlie trip to Queensland in November!)

OH realised watching ladies hockey isn't always that entertaining and started going along to our local footie games - again there's a massive following. He wouldn't have dreamed of going to watch rugby or football in the UK but again he's met masses of people and best bit is he takes the boys so I can enjoy hockey without worrying about the children!

I volunteered to help with Kindy committee and somehow I've become secretary - not very demanding as long as I can keep up with the minute taking! It's lead me to a small part time job - taking minutes for an agricultural group once a month.

I started looking for a job in January - I had an interview with favourite choice fairly quickly but in the end they decided to recruit someone they'd employed before she'd had a career break for children. I was disappointed as I was more than capable of doing the role but then again she knew the systems etc so I can understand their decision. I then found a brilliant part time job through a mum I'd met through Kindy. They let me work the days that suit me and hours to suit childcare. It's working very well!

Hardest thing to deal with in recent weeks has been the drop in temperatures. I read a lot about how cold it is but you really don't appreciate it until you're here. We live in a good solid brick house but with only a fire to heat the lounge room it's freezing - 10 c inside my dining room this morning. It wasn't too bad when warmer days but now days aren't above 15 c you can't even open the windows up in hope warm air comes in! We still get out and about but just with lots of layers on! My advice - don't throw away blankets, warm clothes or gloves if you're heading to SA or Victoria.

Best things in recent weeks (not in any order of priority) 1) realising you can invite various friends for dinner and spend the whole evening laughing! 2) having 2 parents both working and enjoying their jobs and their free time 3) planning a trip back to the UK but knowing you'll love getting home again 4) planning a trip to Whitsundays next year 5) planning ski trip if we've time this winter 6) having happy healthy children!

Observations .... I can't say I'm rooting about for a pair of shoes .... ketchup is known as tomato sauce .... people like Fritz and it's like dog food .... every where in the world should have drive through bottle shops .... pies are good .... Aussie names are weird (just in my sons groups we have a Jak, Jaxon, Solly, Jorja, Tahlia, Dakota, Colby) .... there are chips as good if not better than Walkers (sorry crisps!)) .... we've got used to speaking on webcams!

Sorry I've gone on so long (and I've edited it to make it shorter) but hopefully it's interesting to those waiting! Not everyone does the city beach thing.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A Rural 8 Months ...

Originally Posted by jothefw
My last update was in January so thought we'd share the past 6 months with you all ... (A WARNING IT'S GOT A LITTLE LENGTHY)

A brief reminder - OH sponsored in on RSMS as a Farm Manager, we're 3 hrs from Adelaide.We've two sons, now 6 and 4. Came from same industry in UK, Cambridgeshire.

Firstly and amazingly we have had masses of visitors! (My mum twice, my dad once, one best friend, In-Laws once for a month and booked for christmas again already and my brother arrived in March and hasn't gone home yet!)

We found summer good, weather was often in high 30's and we only used air con a couple of times in the house. We loved being able to eat outside every evening and bbq got masses of use. We didn't struggle too much with mossies although I do stock up on Aeroguard! As it got hotter we found flies got less of an issue but didn't disappear altogether - found the Robocan's a complete hit and wouldn't live without one now! Got membership to our two local pools and picked kids up from school and headed over there for an hour or two. At all of $2 a go it was a great way to keep entertained, cool and be social at the same time!

We ran out of rainwater for the house at the end of March and have run on bore water ever since - we're lucky in that it's fairly good quality bore water and I love being able to have deep baths again so we haven't swapped back although rainwater tanks are now full again!

The children are both loving school - I braved a birthday party for my eldest and it went well. As we're so far out from town we held it in our local park - took balloons, food, drinks, blankets to sit on, you name it! It was ideal though as I didn't have to worry about clearing up too much afterwards, it either went back in the esky or in the bin!

Eldest son has joined Auskick - this is a fantastic introduction to Aussie Rules football. It's about $25 to join and it runs every Saturday morning and lasts about 2 hrs. They learn the basics of hand balling, marking, kicking etc. They are all grouped according to age and it's well attended, both by kids and parents. I'm amazed at the parent support! We've found it a great way to meet more parents but it does mean Saturdays are a busy day!

I joined our local hockey club too - as I hadn't played since a left school this was a brave move by me and by them to allow me on the pitch with a hockey stick! We train on a Wednesday and matches on a Saturday! So we go from Auskick to Hockey. I've met another load of people and it's great fitness too! (Shan't mention how excited I am about our girlie trip to Queensland in November!)

OH realised watching ladies hockey isn't always that entertaining and started going along to our local footie games - again there's a massive following. He wouldn't have dreamed of going to watch rugby or football in the UK but again he's met masses of people and best bit is he takes the boys so I can enjoy hockey without worrying about the children!

I volunteered to help with Kindy committee and somehow I've become secretary - not very demanding as long as I can keep up with the minute taking! It's lead me to a small part time job - taking minutes for an agricultural group once a month.

I started looking for a job in January - I had an interview with favourite choice fairly quickly but in the end they decided to recruit someone they'd employed before she'd had a career break for children. I was disappointed as I was more than capable of doing the role but then again she knew the systems etc so I can understand their decision. I then found a brilliant part time job through a mum I'd met through Kindy. They let me work the days that suit me and hours to suit childcare. It's working very well!

Hardest thing to deal with in recent weeks has been the drop in temperatures. I read a lot about how cold it is but you really don't appreciate it until you're here. We live in a good solid brick house but with only a fire to heat the lounge room it's freezing - 10 c inside my dining room this morning. It wasn't too bad when warmer days but now days aren't above 15 c you can't even open the windows up in hope warm air comes in! We still get out and about but just with lots of layers on! My advice - don't throw away blankets, warm clothes or gloves if you're heading to SA or Victoria.

Best things in recent weeks (not in any order of priority) 1) realising you can invite various friends for dinner and spend the whole evening laughing! 2) having 2 parents both working and enjoying their jobs and their free time 3) planning a trip back to the UK but knowing you'll love getting home again 4) planning a trip to Whitsundays next year 5) planning ski trip if we've time this winter 6) having happy healthy children!

Observations .... I can't say I'm rooting about for a pair of shoes .... ketchup is known as tomato sauce .... people like Fritz and it's like dog food .... every where in the world should have drive through bottle shops .... pies are good .... Aussie names are weird (just in my sons groups we have a Jak, Jaxon, Solly, Jorja, Tahlia, Dakota, Colby) .... there are chips as good if not better than Walkers (sorry crisps!)) .... we've got used to speaking on webcams!

Sorry I've gone on so long (and I've edited it to make it shorter) but hopefully it's interesting to those waiting! Not everyone does the city beach thing.

Great post very happy and upbeat, which is a change

Sounds like you are really embrassing all that Oz has to offer.

Agree about the different names, we have lots of Rileys ( boys + girl) and a Hunter, Savannah and Timor!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo, good to hear that you fellow RSMS people are all doing so well and everything fell into place for you. As you might know I have moved to Townsville now and hubby is travelling back and forth until his time is up in the outback. Like it a lot more here but have trouble finding a job. Might start to do some volunteer work as well.

I'll send you a few degrees of our heat up here, the min temperature last night was 22 degrees, and during the day it is still around 30 at the moment, and they call this winter

Take care, cheers

Katie
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Masadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura about

A great post and i admire your attitude.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

a brilliant post thank you - we too are thinking of going more rural but up in Qld.... people think we are mad and that we should want to be closer to the coast. We want a community and feel we'll have more chance if we go rural.... we can always camp at the coast on the weekends.....

it would be lovely if you could keep us up to date.

cheers,

Shelley
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, great to here that everything is going well.

We are goint to rural town in WA, so reading how well you have settled is really good.

Glad everything is going so well.

GEMS
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:16 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Great post - its really good to hear experiences from those that are doing something other than the 'city and beach' thing.

It sounds as if you have really embraced your new life

K on its way
Tiggs
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:27 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A Rural 8 Months ...

brilliant to hear things are going so well for you all, cant believe youve been there for 8 months already,
best wishes for the future.
kat xxxx
Old Jun 5th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!

Hadn't considered whether post was upbeat or anything but I guess we're happy and it shows.

I believe (and I've only experienced it this way) that rural communities are still communities. I would struggle to be in town on any given day and not see at least a handful of people I could stop and have a quick chat to. The highlight has got to be dropping off one of my sons friends having given him a lift home and ending up staying for a beer - 6 hrs later we rolled off home! Unplanned, unexpected but thoroughly brilliant!

For those that head rural - it doesn't mean never seeing the coast. We head off for weekends, book a cottage (haven't bought a tent yet!) and just stay for as long as we can manage - it's about 2 hrs door to door and pass about 6 cars the whole way so hardly a worry!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=jothefw;4873213]My last update was in January so thought we'd share the past 6 months with you all ... (A WARNING IT'S GOT A LITTLE LENGTHY)

QUOTE]

Followed your visa app through and lovely to hear you've immersed yourselves into your new lifes. We are still in the Fens of Cambridgeshire which have been very hot and sunny the last week - we have our visa's now and planning a reccie later in the year.

Lovely update, really enjoyed reading.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Great update, it makes a change to hear from someone who decided to go a bit more rurual. Keep us updated in a few months time again.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:25 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, really enjoyed this one and the last one. It clearly shows that you are happy and long may it continue. It sounds like you have really settled in well and are making the most of your new life.

Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Joex