Retired to Australia 14 years ago today

Retired to Australia 14 years ago today

Old Nov 30th 2019, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retired to Australia 14 years ago today

Originally Posted by tomar
We moved to the Sunshine Coast, .

What is the definition of The Sunshine Coast exactly?

Seems to cover a big area.

Could anyone please tell me a good retirement town on The Sunshine Coast?

Old Nov 30th 2019, 2:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PittwaterPrincess
What is the definition of The Sunshine Coast exactly?

Seems to cover a big area.

Could anyone please tell me a good retirement town on The Sunshine Coast?
Caloundra to Noosa in basic terms, but goes beyond the Mary River going west. I have friends who've retired up to Noosa so pretty much anywhere, depending on what you're looking for.
Old Nov 30th 2019, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Caloundra to Noosa in basic terms, but goes beyond the Mary River going west.
Thank you - that helps me visualise

Old Jan 24th 2020, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thereandback is an unknown quantity at this point

As the title says my husband and I landed in Australia 14 years ago today.
A bit of background, we are both British, and had both moved around a lot and lived in different countries.
Between us UK, Germany, Africa, Singapore, Brunei and finally Australia.
When my husband retired we weren't ready to return to UK, so as we had both spent plenty of time in Australia, and after 10 years in Brunei, aged late 50's (me) and husband 60, we decided to come here for a few years, enjoy living here, and go from there.
Our 3 children were in UK then, our oldest is still there, but our younger 2 have followed us here, one a citizen and other PR about to gain citizenship. Met their partners here and settled.
14 years later we are still here and have no intention of leaving.

We moved to the Sunshine Coast, and were made so welcome, like any new place it takes time to settle and make friends, we have a mix of friends, many Australians and plenty of "Bushies" who have retired to the coast, plus friends from other countries who have moved here like us. A real eclectic mix.

We live life to the full, enjoy our activities, prefer a warm climate to a cold one. Have a house we love, our own pool, situated by a lake, which feels like an extension to our garden, but the council maintains it!

Our only grandchildren are in U.K., so we go there most years for about 3 months, but have to be honest we left UK so long ago that we would hardly ever go there if it wasn't for our son and family.

Thought hopefully my story as a retiree settling here would make a change.
Really pleased to hear. We are just about to make the move and will be leaving children behind. I am really worried about how I will cope. Hopefully in time they may join us.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

17 years today, where does the time go. Still enjoying life on the Sunshine Coast. Our good news is that we finally got PR last year and will apply for citizenship as soon as eligible, and the even better news is that we don’t have to take the citizenship test as we are too old and doddery. Both of the two children who followed us here are now also citizens. Life is strange, if someone had told me in my forties that I would retire and live in Australia I would have laughed as totally unlikely. Love it here.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 4:42 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

17 years today, where does the time go. Still enjoying life on the Sunshine Coast. Our good news is that we finally got PR last year and will apply for citizenship as soon as eligible, and the even better news is that we don’t have to take the citizenship test as we are too old and doddery. Both of the two children who followed us here are now also citizens. Life is strange, if someone had told me in my forties that I would retire and live in Australia I would have laughed as totally unlikely. Love it here.
Thanks for your lovely update tomar, so glad that you're still enjoying your life in Oz. Congratulations on your PR and impending citizenship!
Old Nov 12th 2020, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

As the title says my husband and I landed in Australia 14 years ago today.
A bit of background, we are both British, and had both moved around a lot and lived in different countries.
Between us UK, Germany, Africa, Singapore, Brunei and finally Australia.
When my husband retired we weren't ready to return to UK, so as we had both spent plenty of time in Australia, and after 10 years in Brunei, aged late 50's (me) and husband 60, we decided to come here for a few years, enjoy living here, and go from there.
Our 3 children were in UK then, our oldest is still there, but our younger 2 have followed us here, one a citizen and other PR about to gain citizenship. Met their partners here and settled.
14 years later we are still here and have no intention of leaving.

We moved to the Sunshine Coast, and were made so welcome, like any new place it takes time to settle and make friends, we have a mix of friends, many Australians and plenty of "Bushies" who have retired to the coast, plus friends from other countries who have moved here like us. A real eclectic mix.

We live life to the full, enjoy our activities, prefer a warm climate to a cold one. Have a house we love, our own pool, situated by a lake, which feels like an extension to our garden, but the council maintains it!

Our only grandchildren are in U.K., so we go there most years for about 3 months, but have to be honest we left UK so long ago that we would hardly ever go there if it wasn't for our son and family.

Thought hopefully my story as a retiree settling here would make a change.
Well the final piece of the jigsaw is now in place. We are finally citizens!! We had the cut price no frills ceremony in Maroochydore last week, no handshake, no photo, and no native tree, probably a good thing as I am no gardener. The important thing is that we have our certificate, we are finally Australians and can now really feel settled.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 11:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Well the final piece of the jigsaw is now in place. We are finally citizens!! We had the cut price no frills ceremony in Maroochydore last week, no handshake, no photo, and no native tree, probably a good thing as I am no gardener. The important thing is that we have our certificate, we are finally Australians and can now really feel settled.
Nice

And congratulations!
Old Nov 13th 2020, 12:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. The husband planted my tree and has done nothing to it since and it hasn't died. Hopefully you didn't have to have a stale Lamington either.
Old Nov 13th 2020, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Congratulations. The husband planted my tree and has done nothing to it since and it hasn't died. Hopefully you didn't have to have a stale Lamington either.
Not a lamington in sight, as no mingling or loitering allowed. We just left the soulless hall, and picked up our certificates on the way out, but were congratulated as we took them.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not even a vegemite sandwich? That was something that all my workmates made me eat when I got citizenship back in the day. Congratulations, it's been a long road for you but now you have the certainty you have long waited for!