Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

redundancy after 9 month...

redundancy after 9 month...

Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

machete will become famous soon enoughmachete will become famous soon enough
Default redundancy after 9 month...

Well about time I post something here after being in OZ, unfortunately not very good news.

I came to Sydney from London in March, they sponsored me with a 2 year 457 visa, from London, so I left my secured job and moved to Sydney on my own looking for better quality of life, weather and the "OZ dream".

The job was very stressful and I always felt more pressured since they sponsored me and payed relocation etc. They never explained what they were expecting they just throw me into a big project with tight and hectic deadlines, my manager was very harsh and eventually after we finish the big deadline they changed me to a different project, smaller one and I was working with a very nice British bloke.

Recently I was mede redundant, with a large number of people as well but I was the only one with sponsorship I believe.

So now I'm here after I left my job in the UK, with no job in the pipeline, some accumulated goods, plus all the stuff I brought from London, and the situation that at the moment it is really difficult to find a job here not to mention some one to sponsor you.

The 457 really sucks by just giving people 28 days to sort things out or p#ss off, I can imagine people on the same situation that have been here for years, with kids etc and immigration just give them 28 days to pack and go.

Obviously I could go back to the UK but I can't get my job back since the situation changed there. My family is spread a bit around the world. I'll still have my sponsorship until mid Jan 09, then 28 days, at least I know where I'm now. At the same time I gave up trying to find a job at the moment since people are just not hiring, so I'll go to see me mum anyway soon during xmas, and I'll use that time to think and prepare my self.

During my time in Sydney though it was a mix of, this place is perfect with this place lack of so many things. What I like here are the beaches, I surf my self so is perfect on that, the weather, the food, and the beauty of the place and surounds.

What I don't like is that Sydney and most of OZ cities are pretty average in terms of entertainment, arts, services and city life.

Even though I decided to give it a go, and try to stay but now this happen and I'm not ready to leave just now plus the situation in the UK is very worrying.

I have some friends here whom have being supportive, I've being dating a girl, but not long enough to bond in a way that she wouldn't let me go, she's more pragmatic than me perhaps.

So folks that's my story, my plan is to work hard to find a job next year, and hopefully all will be alright, right now you can imagine how a person in my situation may feel. There may be more opportunities in other cities, like Brisbane or Perth I've been told, I just don't think I'm ready for another move, but I may not have choice.

Please if any of you are, or have been in a similar situation, please give me some advice in terms of immigration, legal, and a situation like this in general, since I'm not sure of my rights or if I have any after leaving a secure life/job to come here recruited from a company for 2 years and now this happen.

Thanks folks and I hope you people are in a better situation.

For those about to come, make sure you have a secure job, and if your situation is secured, then go for it, it worth it, this place is beautiful.

Thanks
Old Nov 29th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: redundancy after 9 month...

I'm so sorry to hear about the redundancy. Re the 28 days thing, though, I was under the impression that it was 28 days to get out or find new sponsorship if YOU left the job - I think it's 2 months if it's the sponsoring company giving you the elbow. Check on the immi website or give them a call, just to be sure.

Best of luck to you

T
Old Nov 29th 2008, 8:28 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Thats crap - sorry to hear that.

A similar thing has happened to my mate earlier this year, he had also started dating a girl. Luckily (is that the right word?) he has found some work in Singapore and she has gone there with him. So if all works out he he will come back on a spouse visa - unless they both settle in Singapore I guess.

Sorry I cant help with advise or your rights. Just keep pestering and try to find more work. Good Luck
Old Nov 29th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by machete
Well about time I post something here after being in OZ, unfortunately not very good news.

I came to Sydney from London in March, they sponsored me with a 2 year 457 visa, from London, so I left my secured job and moved to Sydney on my own looking for better quality of life, weather and the "OZ dream".

The job was very stressful and I always felt more pressured since they sponsored me and payed relocation etc. They never explained what they were expecting they just throw me into a big project with tight and hectic deadlines, my manager was very harsh and eventually after we finish the big deadline they changed me to a different project, smaller one and I was working with a very nice British bloke.

Recently I was mede redundant, with a large number of people as well but I was the only one with sponsorship I believe.

So now I'm here after I left my job in the UK, with no job in the pipeline, some accumulated goods, plus all the stuff I brought from London, and the situation that at the moment it is really difficult to find a job here not to mention some one to sponsor you.

The 457 really sucks by just giving people 28 days to sort things out or p#ss off, I can imagine people on the same situation that have been here for years, with kids etc and immigration just give them 28 days to pack and go.

Obviously I could go back to the UK but I can't get my job back since the situation changed there. My family is spread a bit around the world. I'll still have my sponsorship until mid Jan 09, then 28 days, at least I know where I'm now. At the same time I gave up trying to find a job at the moment since people are just not hiring, so I'll go to see me mum anyway soon during xmas, and I'll use that time to think and prepare my self.

During my time in Sydney though it was a mix of, this place is perfect with this place lack of so many things. What I like here are the beaches, I surf my self so is perfect on that, the weather, the food, and the beauty of the place and surounds.

What I don't like is that Sydney and most of OZ cities are pretty average in terms of entertainment, arts, services and city life.

Even though I decided to give it a go, and try to stay but now this happen and I'm not ready to leave just now plus the situation in the UK is very worrying.

I have some friends here whom have being supportive, I've being dating a girl, but not long enough to bond in a way that she wouldn't let me go, she's more pragmatic than me perhaps.

So folks that's my story, my plan is to work hard to find a job next year, and hopefully all will be alright, right now you can imagine how a person in my situation may feel. There may be more opportunities in other cities, like Brisbane or Perth I've been told, I just don't think I'm ready for another move, but I may not have choice.

Please if any of you are, or have been in a similar situation, please give me some advice in terms of immigration, legal, and a situation like this in general, since I'm not sure of my rights or if I have any after leaving a secure life/job to come here recruited from a company for 2 years and now this happen.

For those about to come, make sure you have a secure job, and if your situation is secured, then go for it, it worth it, this place is beautiful.

Thanks
Never fancied the 457 route for the exact reasons you are experiencing. Sorry I cant help with info but as stated, phone them as Ive found them to be really helpful. Just wanted to say good luck and I hope it turns out well.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:12 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Havent got any practical advice, but your post kinda struck me and your tone was very sad (?) so just thought I would nip on say good luck for the future.. hope you get what you want ...

I always remember in times like these that change is necessarily bad, just different... and my OH always tell me when I am feeling a bit stressed about *whatever*, that "its just another page in the book of life.. turn the page and move on to the next chapter"... its meant kindly! not patronisingly!

Good luck

Em x
Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear that mate. You were asking for suggestions so if you are under 31 you could apply for a working holiday visa (if you havent already had one) and re-enter the country to allow you another years shot at it out there. I know contract work isnt too hard to find on that visa however obviously things getting harder now the recession is starting. I dont work in London but i work in financial services in the UK sometimes travelling down to London and I wouldn't fancy looking for a job there at the moment.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I would get in touch with immigration and see if you can sort something out
I have a friend who left his sponsor, then he got another one who was no better, then they got PR...... not sure the ins and outs but certainly worth a few phone calls, and maybe ask some of the agents who frequent these forums

Good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bridie
I would get in touch with immigration and see if you can sort something out
I have a friend who left his sponsor, then he got another one who was no better, then they got PR...... not sure the ins and outs but certainly worth a few phone calls, and maybe ask some of the agents who frequent these forums

Good luck
Well, yes...the only way to look at this, is with positivism, and things happen for one reason and this situation will lead me to one much better.

Thanks all for your messages.

Something I would like to add. A friend of mine mentioned to me about an article that appeared on the Sydney Morning Herald about the 28 days to leave the country after finishing or loosing the sponsorship, the thing is appaerently immi. has received many complains, so if you know a case like this would be good to start a post on the issue or a blog since that law can be challenged (?) since is very impractical and distreesful. 28 days is fine if one person/family knows in advance when they are going to leave, but OZ authoriteis could give more time since moving to OZ is not exactly as moving from London to Paris to say something, it is a really BIG thing and you can not even get your head around it in 28 days.

Thank you
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:04 am
Just Joined

suns is an unknown quantity at this point

Hence Question is how to get more time after 28 days job termination?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough

Thanks
I think they are very lenient on the 28 days rule... there is a commission working on 457 integrity review at DIAC..and they recommended the 28day period be extended to minimum 3 months....but they key note is that the commission stated in the report " the 28 days rule is rarely enforced by the department."

See link at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-integrity-review.htm

Given the fact that the commission report is now public...there is very gud chance you will be granted a bridging visa for few months...so u can try to find a job...
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by slippery30
I think they are very lenient on the 28 days rule... there is a commission working on 457 integrity review at DIAC..and they recommended the 28day period be extended to minimum 3 months....but they key note is that the commission stated in the report " the 28 days rule is rarely enforced by the department."

See link at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-integrity-review.htm

Given the fact that the commission report is now public...there is very gud chance you will be granted a bridging visa for few months...so u can try to find a job...
Slippery, that is very helpful thanks, I'm abroad at the moment but will look into this now.

Cheers

M
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly suggest that you speak to a registered migration agent - BEFORE approaching DIAC.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 8:39 am
Just Joined

karen82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Sorry to hear that and hope it works out for you. I have been looking into the sponsored route and can't believe they only give you 28 days.

Thanks for sharing your story anyway its been really helpful. I am also from London wanting to move to Sydney through the sponsored route. I have signed up with recruitment agencies who have available vacancies in my field who offer sponsorship, but I have not taken it further as I imagine that they would work me like a dog since they will be paying for sponsor, relocation and flight ect. I don't want to move to the other side of the world to work harder than I already do in London. I want to get away from my stressful lifestyle.

The other option I have is through the skilled independent route but I only score 115 which I believe is an average score above 120 gives you a better chance. So my chances are not great. It is really expensive and I would have to pay the fees even if its unsuccessful and it takes a long time.

I know you can't really tell me what to do but I guess I just need some advice as to which route to take? I know it seems silly to ask you this question as you've had a bad experience using sponser route. Anyone who had experience with either route please advise.

Thanks,
Karen
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

woowaa is on a distinguished road

I know this may be a little late in the day and i hope my message finds your situation much improved.

Well my Oz OH and i met when he was on a sponsored visa over here in the UK, we met through working together, and I quit shortly after we started seeing each other, I fell on my feet and got a way better job. Anyway no more than six months later my OH sponsors had their contract cancelled from the workplace, and had to let poeple go. Well he was torn as to whether he should go back to Oz or stay here and be with me. 5 years later we are moving back to Sydney in March and getting married. He decided to stay, and got another job, it wasn't a job he was happy with, but he is at least happy.

My story is not much help, but to say go with your heart, and best of luck, I hope you stay in Sydney so we can all meet up!!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karen82
Sorry to hear that and hope it works out for you. I have been looking into the sponsored route and can't believe they only give you 28 days.

Thanks for sharing your story anyway its been really helpful. I am also from London wanting to move to Sydney through the sponsored route. I have signed up with recruitment agencies who have available vacancies in my field who offer sponsorship, but I have not taken it further as I imagine that they would work me like a dog since they will be paying for sponsor, relocation and flight ect. I don't want to move to the other side of the world to work harder than I already do in London. I want to get away from my stressful lifestyle.

The other option I have is through the skilled independent route but I only score 115 which I believe is an average score above 120 gives you a better chance. So my chances are not great. It is really expensive and I would have to pay the fees even if its unsuccessful and it takes a long time.

I know you can't really tell me what to do but I guess I just need some advice as to which route to take? I know it seems silly to ask you this question as you've had a bad experience using sponsor route. Anyone who had experience with either route please advise.

Thanks,
Karen
Karen,

Hope is not too late the reply. I think every situation is different and I don't think every employer will treat people like dogs because they are sponsored from overseas, that was my case but I don't want to say that's the way it is.

Getting sponsored is a good way to go to OZ at least to try out rather than spent a year or so in the process and then it wont work out.

My advise is if you have an opportunity, like some one willing to sponsor you, take it, if what you really want is moving to OZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.