British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Is it really that long?.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/really-long-511857/)

Seabird Feb 5th 2008 8:08 am

Is it really that long?....

Wow, I joined this site in July 2004! Doesn't feel like almost half a decade since I first thought of leaving sunny England.

Now in January 2008 I am past my second Adelaide birthday (was originally heading for Alberta, then New Zealand) and wanted to give you all a quick list of the pros and cons of doing the biggest thing!

Top pro - everyone here loves where they live, so are happy. Compared to the UK this is rare!

Price of housing - though it's creeping up and intrest rates are on the rise

Price of petrol - you can afford to visit places. Secondhand cars are expensive.

Cost of dining and going out - never did any of the stuff I do these days

Wildlife - could go on forever here... eagles, koalas, parrots, roos, possums regularly seen.

Weather - didn't think this would make as much difference as it has - summer is great indeed, except for the nagging feeling you get that there could be a bushfire once you've seen a couple of small smoke plumes over the horizon and the odd grass fire. Really miss being able to water the garden, though. Best to avoid lawn and stick to trees and drought or shade-loving plants. Winter in Adelaide is fridge-like - now have ducted heating and cooling installed... yum.

Shopping - Central Market - Adelaide shopping at its best, no markets comparable outside London. Less choice of clothing, so I buy from "op shops" secondhand is great here and has a different image. Shoes are more expensive, but other clothing similar price. Food - meat cheaper, veggies dearer. Wider range in other states than in SA.

People - more sensitive and worry about smaller things because the big ones are looked after for them. Generally women in the workplace are much more assertive and down to earth and found this a shock to start with - learning the hang of dealing with them. Men are easy-going and confident - oh and I found one and fell in love with him - in the process of buying house together.

Driving - lovely clear roads around Adelaide - rarely held up. Rush hour lasts around an hour on a bad day. SO much less stressful than UK - you can ask your Tom Tom how long it will take to get somewhere and it will be right.

Public transport - way better in England - Adelaide has poor infrastructure, much better in Sydney, Mellie, Perth and Brissie. Need a car here.

Technology - okay, but poor quality chinese imports been a problem - never had to change so many items in my life! Phones in particular have been a nightmare. Cost of calls reasonable and good mobile plans available. IT okay, , so keep your receipts and get extended warranties - just had to take my laptop in for repair... broadband gradually catching up with Europe, though there are still some suburbs without it.

Income tax - you have to do your own returns, but by hanging on to receipts you can claim pre-tax dollars for many purchases that you couldn't in the UK.

Overall - wouldn't trade it for anything. Love it here, miss my kids, father and friends though.

Good luck all

Seabird

Racht70 Feb 5th 2008 12:07 pm

Re: Is it really that long?....

Originally Posted by Seabird (Post 5886821)
Wow, I joined this site in July 2004! Doesn't feel like almost half a decade since I first thought of leaving sunny England.

Now in January 2008 I am past my second Adelaide birthday (was originally heading for Alberta, then New Zealand) and wanted to give you all a quick list of the pros and cons of doing the biggest thing!

Top pro - everyone here loves where they live, so are happy. Compared to the UK this is rare!

Price of petrol - you can afford to visit places. Secondhand cars are expensive.

Wildlife - could go on forever here... eagles, koalas, parrots, roos, possums regularly seen.

Weather - didn't think this would make as much difference as it has - summer is great indeed, except for the nagging feeling you get that there could be a bushfire once you've seen a couple of small smoke plumes over the horizon and the odd grass fire. Really miss being able to water the garden, though. Best to avoid lawn and stick to trees and drought or shade-loving plants. Winter in Adelaide is fridge-like - now have ducted heating and cooling installed... yum.

Shopping - Central Market - Adelaide shopping at its best, no markets comparable outside London. Less choice of clothing, so I buy from "op shops" secondhand is great here and has a different image. Shoes are more expensive, but other clothing similar price. Food - meat cheaper, veggies dearer. Wider range in other states than in SA.

People - more sensitive and worry about smaller things because the big ones are looked after for them. Generally women in the workplace are much more assertive and down to earth and found this a shock to start with - learning the hang of dealing with them. Men are easy-going and confident - oh and I found one and fell in love with him - in the process of buying house together.
Driving - lovely clear roads around Adelaide - rarely held up. Rush hour lasts around an hour on a bad day. SO much less stressful than UK - you can ask your Tom Tom how long it will take to get somewhere and it will be right.

Public transport - way better in England - Adelaide has poor infrastructure, much better in Sydney, Mellie, Perth and Brissie. Need a car here.

Technology - okay, but poor quality chinese imports been a problem - never had to change so many items in my life! Phones in particular have been a nightmare. Cost of calls reasonable and good mobile plans available. IT okay, , so keep your receipts and get extended warranties - just had to take my laptop in for repair... broadband gradually catching up with Europe, though there are still some suburbs without it.

Income tax - you have to do your own returns, but by hanging on to receipts you can claim pre-tax dollars for many purchases that you couldn't in the UK.

Overall - wouldn't trade it for anything. Love it here, miss my kids, father and friends though.

Good luck all

Seabird

Sorry i dont get this bit.....apart from that great post.

Fly Away Feb 5th 2008 12:37 pm

Lovely post Seabird.:thumbsup:

We're headed for Adelaide, so it was great to hear so many positives. :thumbup:

(BTW - I thought this was a dirty joke when I saw the thread title... I think that might just be me....:rofl:)

johnnyyt Feb 5th 2008 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Away (Post 5888161)
Lovely post Seabird.:thumbsup:

We're headed for Adelaide, so it was great to hear so many positives. :thumbup:

(BTW - I thought this was a dirty joke when I saw the thread title... I think that might just be me....:rofl:)

I also must have a depraved and dirty mind as well.................

Great honest post abouth real life in Adelaide, thanks.

Johnnyyt

weez75 Feb 5th 2008 2:01 pm

yep me as well :o
great post , we are heading your was as well so it is always good to read how people have settled :thumbsup::thumbsup:
thanks for taking the time to write it:D

Tracijbc Feb 5th 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for the honest view of the place I am shortly to call home. I am having a "wibble" about leaving the UK at the moment and it's great to hear so many positive things about a place I have never seen in the flesh. Thank you for the post and I look forward to experiencing it all in May when we arrive.

Now all I need are some Ex-Pat mates to make up for the great people I am leaving in the UK and life will be complete! :thumbup:

T x

ozzydreamer Feb 5th 2008 3:49 pm

I agree, these posts keep me going.
I too was re-assesing if we could actually spend the money on a bigger house in the UK istead of saving up to go to Oz, and then I looked at how much an extra 30k would get us here and its not good! Then I looked at how much 30k LESS could get us in Oz and again was pleasantly suprised!
Although with the interest rates and lower wages we are going to rent in Oz and one day sell up in Uk and buy in Oz.

So although this process seems like a lot of money and hard work and time its going to be worth it! And your posts keep me going, keep them coming:D

aus2be_OH Feb 5th 2008 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Racht70 (Post 5888042)

Yip, thought that a little odd, but hey, who are we to judge...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Great post by the way. Cheers
Darren

Racht70 Feb 5th 2008 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Racht70 (Post 5888042)

Opps i get it now, you meant oh as in ohh!! not oh as in other half.:D

GillyG Feb 5th 2008 7:28 pm

Men are easy-going and confident - oh and I found one and fell in love with him - in the process of buying house together.

Yep, I too had to re-read this! I knew:thumbsup: Aus was an easy going place but really THAT open????!!!!

Sally Simpson Feb 9th 2008 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by GillyG (Post 5890161)
Men are easy-going and confident - oh and I found one and fell in love with him - in the process of buying house together.

Yep, I too had to re-read this! I knew:thumbsup: Aus was an easy going place but really THAT open????!!!!

:rofl:

Lovely update Seabird:thumbsup:

Backhomeatlast Feb 9th 2008 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Seabird (Post 5886821)

Good luck all

Seabird

Good post, but that bit is sooo funny :lol:

Katsmajics other half !!! Feb 9th 2008 8:44 pm

great post, thank you, Adelaide still looking good WooHoo:thumbsup:

Sham Williams Feb 10th 2008 12:26 am

Originally Posted by GillyG (Post 5890161)

Have you not heard that as well as boasting that it is Capital of many other things it also boasts being "The Swinging Capital!!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seabird Feb 10th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Sham Williams (Post 5910317)
Have you not heard that as well as boasting that it is Capital of many other things it also boasts being "The Swinging Capital!!" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Glad you all enjoyed it.... Don't think my commenting on the Aussie male's dimensions is a good way of encouraging the male Brits that their wives will be safe, so I'll just leave that out. I guess all the ads on alot of the billboards here with 10 ft lettering asking everyone if they want longer lasting _ _ _ may help to reassure all your fellas!!

Oh well, my newly acquired other half has resorted to laying a patio today, so maybe this is telling me that something is missing in my British ways!!

Enjoy your weekend :D

Seabird