Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

lissylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Hi, Im Lisa, new to this site.
Just wondered how you are going in Mnt tamborine now, Has your husband got into the police.
It was avery interesting post, espeically as my family are thinking of moving over to Mnt Tamborine, we have 3 children 9,4,2 years. We want to live in more of a communtity than the suburbs we currently live in.
I have a job to got to in the gold coast as I am tranferring from the company in Perth ( we are both orginally from the UK, and have been in Perth 8 years)
Do you use the schools there?
Husband in having a trip out there in June
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:49 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Originally Posted by lissylee
Hi, Im Lisa, new to this site.
Just wondered how you are going in Mnt tamborine now, Has your husband got into the police.
It was avery interesting post, espeically as my family are thinking of moving over to Mnt Tamborine, we have 3 children 9,4,2 years. We want to live in more of a communtity than the suburbs we currently live in.
I have a job to got to in the gold coast as I am tranferring from the company in Perth ( we are both orginally from the UK, and have been in Perth 8 years)
Do you use the schools there?
Husband in having a trip out there in June
Hi Lisa, yes we love it here. Wouldn't move for anything back down mountain. Very artsy community here - (some say hippy) but all sorts of artistic people. If you are very conservative minded I think here is not the place to be. The school is wonderfull. My boys study Bahai (they are of no set religion though), recorder classes and are in a tree huggers club. They are very happy there. Hubby still going through application process for police. I really love the spiritual side of up here - I need the trees around me as working life can be very fast paced and the parrots make me smile every day.
I wish you all the very best. If you have any spesific queries you want addressed, by all means PM me and If I can help, I will.
All the very best to you
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, it sounds great. No we are not conservative minded at all, very easy going. From the info you have given me it sounds fantastic and just what we are looking for. We are really tired of the suburbs, living on top of the neighbours but not really knowing them.

It will be really hard leaving this home though as Shawn has built it single handed. He is in renovations and I am a childrens/emergency nurse. I most probably have a job at the John Flynn Hospital.

The only worry I have is the school because our eldest loves her school and it is a really good school. Also my parents live in Perth now and are not very impressed that we want to move. As I said though Shawn is visiting in June and the areas we are really interested in is Tamborine and Eagle Heights. It is definate that we will move to that area though

What is the tree huggers club?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:29 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Eagle Heights - very varied area with mixed houses of vastly different styles and prices. My boys love their school but they are in primary, no idea about 2ndary. Every Friday afternoon, last period the whole school branches off into clubs. My little ones do tree huggers, tree planting, environmental issues and bush walks (there is a rainforrest at the end of the road form the school!) I do pilates and pottery classes and my 8 year old goes to origami at the library. I love it here, it has all I want and need. (apart form the occasional visit to the beach or banks/large cheap supermarket - prices and choice in IGA here are a little limited) Pizza shop is yummy! Get in touch when you settle and we can meet for a coffee!
Cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, sounds great. Can I just ask you what 2 more things?
What are the roads like down to surfers, and what is the school age? Here in Perth they have to be 4 by the 30th June to hace started school the january of that year.

Its wonderful to actually be in touch with someone whos is living where we want to be.

thanks again Lisa
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:26 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Roads down mountain are twisty but once you know them the drive is so nice. I used to live right next door to my old job and would leave at the last minute and be there stressed having left it till the last minute to leave. Cos you know you live further away, you leave in plently ample time and especially if it's sunny, it a joy to drive through the brids and trees and see nature on the way to work, I arrived so much more relaxed and smiley. (don't work there now) I have a small car that makes it fine up the hill in 3rd and I just let people pass me who are in a rush (there are always some!) It just takes a few weeks of driving to start to remeber the twists and recall how best to approach them. Hubby drives to Ashmore daily. Once down the mountain it's 20 mins to Ashmore. I'd say approx 40 from up here to Surfers
(30 mins at night).
As for school - I don't know. Mine went into P1 this year and he's 5 1/2 but don't know the date cut offs. Hope that helps.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers for that, I have 1 child in year 4, 1 in kindy and one currently in day care.
The drive sounds great, and I agreee with you about the drive giving you time to switch off from work before you get home.
Lisa
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:19 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

how did i miss this thread?

what a fantastic post! the whole thread is a great read, good luck to you guys.
any sign of the job with the police yet?
i bumped into your hubby once at his work, we didnt get much of a chance to natter, but he did tell me he was waiting on a reply from them.

soapy
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:05 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Yeh, he's still waiting. They only have an intake a few times a year - and we just missed the last one. He's up running every morning before work though - he's got to do 6 laps in 14 minutes. He can do 5 in 15mins - so the longer they wait the more time he's got to train. lol!
On an update theme - I had my hours cut from 3 to 2 days at work and could not really survive on that but luckily my small business is starting to kick off - and for the last two months, although I have only been working 1 week in 4- I have made the same money as working 6 weeks in the other job! So doing that and I now have an agent for the production work - so we will see what happens...but things getting good. We launch the wedding video side of things next month - just getting flyers printed, so that will hopefully be another string of income. I have mates that I can subcontract to do the filming and editing for me if I get the film job I am waiting to hear back from. (Vampire movie - sounds immense fun!) We'll see where it all goes. But I am really enjoying the feeling of the business gathering interest.

Oh yes, Happy Anzac day to you all!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:09 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soapy
how did i miss this thread?

what a fantastic post! the whole thread is a great read, good luck to you guys.
any sign of the job with the police yet?
i bumped into your hubby once at his work, we didnt get much of a chance to natter, but he did tell me he was waiting on a reply from them.

soapy
Yeh, hubby said he'd met ya. Perhaps we'll pop into one of you meet up's one day. We've always missed before.
Take care
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:19 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous honest post, thoroughly enjoyed reading it, refreshing to hear a nice balanced post, tired to send you karma but said i wasnt allowed to

anyway, sending you and your family the very best wishes, and i hope hubby gets the job

Fee x
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:15 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Yeh, hubby said he'd met ya. Perhaps we'll pop into one of you meet up's one day. We've always missed before.
Take care
that would be nice, its always a good day or night out.

have you got a website for your business yet?
if you have, why dont you add a wee link to your signature. that way it appears in all your posts
if you havent, well get working on it lassie. theres nothing better than a free advert
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

I've been a BE member for several years now, but this is without a doubt the most inspirational and optimistic thread I've ever read! I truly hope everything works out for you.

One question about the police - I looked up the option of trying to join, but I don't like the bits where it says you can be posted anywhere in the state. Is that a potential problem? (Not that I wan't to rain on your parade!)

I also saw that your hubby is 40 (unless I'm confusing it with a different thread) - is there an age limit on joining the plod?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

lastboyscout is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely brilliant thread, enjoyed reading it and best of luck in the future!

When I`m sitting waiting for my visa application, and sometimes I feel down , I`ll come back to read this again
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:11 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

brilliant post, its great to hear that people can survive in oz without oodles of money. you seem to have a great family life and we wish you good luck with everything
bec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.