Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Originally Posted by egghead4
brilliant post, its great to hear that people can survive in oz without oodles of money. you seem to have a great family life and we wish you good luck with everything
bec

Not seen you on here for a while, you managed to get your visa off??? Everything been ok?

S-j
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:10 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POV of migration to Gold Coast for those with VERY little money! 2 years down

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
I've been a BE member for several years now, but this is without a doubt the most inspirational and optimistic thread I've ever read! I truly hope everything works out for you.

One question about the police - I looked up the option of trying to join, but I don't like the bits where it says you can be posted anywhere in the state. Is that a potential problem? (Not that I wan't to rain on your parade!)

I also saw that your hubby is 40 (unless I'm confusing it with a different thread) - is there an age limit on joining the plod?
Thanks for that, so many nice well wishers. All the very best wishes to you all. Police force - yes they can send you anywhere in the state. However we have heard they do try and keep officers with children at a commutable distance, so the children don't have to move schools. We will see what happens, I don't want to move from here but if we have to - we will deal with it if it happens. No there is not an age limit - but you must complete and pass various fitness tests where the pass levels are set for your age group! And on that note - he got his test days through - 3 weeks! So at least we'll know if he has a chance within a month or so. He's got a bit to do yet to pass the tests - 3 days of fitness, health and aptitude tests. He would be so good at it - he was such a great doorman in UK - so friendly, diplomatic but unafraid, quick thinking and a great problem solver. He saw it as glorified babysitting. He knew where trouble was going to break out about 10 minutes before it happened - he was always close by to diffuse in seconds - it was amazing to watch. He's a people watcher. I think he would shine in the force. We'll see what happens - what will be will be.
As for web site - yes I was thinking about that yesterday. I started on one but never finished it - think I'll check out domain names today. Thanks for the reminder.
Old May 3rd 2007, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant post. A hope you win the lotto coz you deserve it.
Old May 8th 2007, 12:06 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Thanks so very much to everyone for the wishes. Your wishes have in turn really uplifted me further. On that note - I was at a garage sale this morning and found a book all about a French writer that I was named after but I didn't know anything about her. I was telling the lady who was selling the book that it must be fate as it was my b'day today so I must by the book. Another man browsing at the stall who I've never met before over heard and insisted on paying for the book for me as a birthday gift. I was overwhealmed by the gesture. Then later this afternoon, my sons and I were shopping for pool pipe and the shop keper gave them a free blow up basketball set. Then walking down the road back to the car I heard some one shouting my name. I turned around and a complete strager lady shouted out happy birthday to me (then I saw she was with the man from the garage sale) I grinned ear to ear and ducked into the grocery shop - which I have only been in once before. He had over heard and started singing Happy B'day to me in the shop. My sons baught me stunning flowers and the sun is shining! What a difference well wishes make to a day. I wish every one who has posted here the very best wishes for your move and also for your lives.
Hope the sun shines in your lives today too! Lordy, I love Australia!
How lovely.
Old May 8th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

What an amazing story. I wish your husband luck with his application.

You seem to have great determinatin and a strong family. I'm sure you will have a fantastic future.

Wont let me send karma but if anyone deserves it its you.

I hope I get the chance to meet up with you and your family when I eventually get over there

Tracey.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

You sound like you have had your problems, but you sound very resourceful and I would put money on you making a great success of your life in Oz. You are full of ideas and plans. Good luck.
Regards Sara
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that, so many nice well wishers. All the very best wishes to you all. Police force - yes they can send you anywhere in the state. However we have heard they do try and keep officers with children at a commutable distance, so the children don't have to move schools. We will see what happens, I don't want to move from here but if we have to - we will deal with it if it happens. No there is not an age limit - but you must complete and pass various fitness tests where the pass levels are set for your age group! And on that note - he got his test days through - 3 weeks! So at least we'll know if he has a chance within a month or so. He's got a bit to do yet to pass the tests - 3 days of fitness, health and aptitude tests. He would be so good at it - he was such a great doorman in UK - so friendly, diplomatic but unafraid, quick thinking and a great problem solver. He saw it as glorified babysitting. He knew where trouble was going to break out about 10 minutes before it happened - he was always close by to diffuse in seconds - it was amazing to watch. He's a people watcher. I think he would shine in the force. We'll see what happens - what will be will be.
As for web site - yes I was thinking about that yesterday. I started on one but never finished it - think I'll check out domain names today. Thanks for the reminder.
Hey, the test day must be past now - how did it go?
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:19 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, the test day must be past now - how did it go?
Thank you for asking. He passed the 14 minute run in 13.37 mins! Phew! Tests - some hard , some easy. He has his final interview and medical tomorrow morning! So we have a day together of swatting & memorising (for which, incidentally, we find the learning of memory techniques from Derren Browns book invaluable!) Fingers, arms, eyes and legs crossed! Will update when I have news!
Sunny, mellow, happy day to you.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:22 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Thank you for asking. He passed the 14 minute run in 13.37 mins! Phew! Tests - some hard , some easy. He has his final interview and medical tomorrow morning! So we have a day together of swatting & memorising (for which, incidentally, we find the learning of memory techniques from Derren Browns book invaluable!) Fingers, arms, eyes and legs crossed! Will update when I have news!
Oh and apparently I have since heard the top age limit for joining is 52!
Cheers!
Old May 24th 2007, 12:05 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news on the fitness test, good luck for the next part.

Keep us updated, I think there are a lot of people wanting him to pass this.

Shirley x
Old May 24th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Lovely post, it makes me wonder why I keep getting cold feet. Thank you for sharing this with us,let us know if hubby gets the job.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by somme
Lovely post, it makes me wonder why I keep getting cold feet. Thank you for sharing this with us,let us know if hubby gets the job.
Ah, good news about the age limit! How long's that 14 minute run? (Yeah, I know, 14 minutes - let me be more precise - how FAR is the run!?)

Keep us posted on todays finals.
Old May 25th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Ah, good news about the age limit! How long's that 14 minute run? (Yeah, I know, 14 minutes - let me be more precise - how FAR is the run!?)

Keep us posted on todays finals.
Its 2.4km which is six laps of the oval. Under 40 years of age you have to do it in 12 minutes. I think it is a standard fitness test used by armed forces etc
Old May 26th 2007, 3:07 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by auspal
Its 2.4km which is six laps of the oval. Under 40 years of age you have to do it in 12 minutes. I think it is a standard fitness test used by armed forces etc
Yes, that right. 2.4km. One young chap bust a gut and gave it everything he had and did the run in 7 minutes flat. My hubby congratulated him for his time, but pointed out to him (in the nicest possible way) - "but that was a little silly do you not think?" "What do you mean?" he replied. My hubby pointed out that in the paperwork it stated that in the 1st 3 months of training at the accademy you have to do the run a further 2 times, each run bettering your previous time! Opps - poor chap......he was a little distressed at that news! (not that hubby was wanting to make him feel bad - he had already developed a friendly rapport with the chap, and felt the comment was fine to make, in a friendly way - just whenI read it back it sounded like hubby had said that nastily - but he truly hadn't)

Interview was fine. Passed Medical (despite being colourblind - which is why he was rejected in Uk! He can tell vivid colours fine.) He will hear in 2 weeks. So, he feels that he did the very best he could. If they do not want him, it is because he is just not what they are looking for. Which I guess he will just have to live with and move on. We'll see. I guess it's a better feeling to know you did the very best you could. If he had failed on something he could improve on then tht would be different.
The waiting game now! Will let you know when we get and answer one way or another. What will be will be I guess!
(funny though, I've seen since after the interview how much he really wants this. I hope that he gets it!)

Last edited by wholeworldwindow; May 26th 2007 at 3:15 am.
Old May 26th 2007, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I hope so too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.