Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

PART 4. THE END THANK GOD

PART 4. THE END THANK GOD

Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default PART 4. THE END THANK GOD

To those not familiar with floods, (I include myself) they are devastating and affect every part of your life and you are powerless. 3.30am and the rain is battering the roof relentlessly. I decide to check the garage room as its lower than the rest of the house. Two inches of water cover the floor but as long as it doesn't enter the house, we should be fine. My hopes are dashed by about 7am when it starts to enter through the doors and in no time at all has risen to unacceptable levels.
Previous to this, myself and Anj have lifted the settee onto two dining chairs and put tv's and dvds onto beds just to get them up to what we believe will be a safe height. Anj moves the camcorder from the bottom drawer into the next drawer up. Fat lot of good that did as the water went to about drawer number 4
Anyway, 7am and the guy next door has come in to look at the flooded garage room. While here the water rises and starts to enter the house. He invites us over to his as he lives in a Queenslander. Anj and the kids run over and watch from a height as the levels become dangerously high. I decide to stay, like the captain of a sinking ship, and am as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Nothing like a drop of water to make you feel small against nature. After it hits my knees, the guy from next door comes over and shouts for me to get out the house and go over to his, which by now is seeming like a good idea.
Laptop up high and everything else willl just have to die a lingering death apart from our dog Jinky. He's suffered enough and was virtually abandoned when I had my heart attack so now hes fetted and he deserves it. I retreat to next door and watch the levels rise and rise until they're now hitting the handles on the doors of my car. With the car drowned, it shorts the electrics and switches on the headlights and brings the windows down. Quite surreal to see your headlights on under water but we venture to the car to get my wallet from the glove box. Nope, its not there. Must have flowed out as it was posted to me anonymously months later with everything intact.
Myself and two of the boys from next door swim over (its easier than walking) to the neighbour on the other side. An old woman of 81, I shout to see if she's ok. As the power has gone down, her house is in darkness and its still morning. She comes to the window and assures me she's ok as the water is only up to her knees as her house is built on concrete stumps. God love her thinks I. Its easier to leave her there until waters recede. Not great but the best option. Boats are now going up and down the street to help people. Myself and Anj venture back in to our house to view the damage and see if we can salvage anything. Two neighbours approach my bedroom window in a canoe. The water is up to the bottom of my chest and we're standing at the window having a conversation with two people in a canoe.
We spend the night at the neighbours and next day the waters have receded but leave behind utter devastation. You talk to people in the street and they burst out crying. Apart from their houses being battered, its the personal things that are causing the most pain. Photos and videos which were not high up have all been ruined. Peoples memories and mementoes have been washed away. Personally, videos of when the kids are small are gone, never to be replaced. Money can't get them back unlike a cabinet or tv.
Mackay starts the clean up and stories start to emerge of a community pulling together. Everyone who wasn't hit personally, has a relative or a friend who was. Nobody in Mackay is unaffected by this catastrophe. My house was flooded again, but this time with people wanting to help clean it up. People I don't know offer to help. I was telephoned by a woman I had never met (got my number from the school) offering me a car until my insurance was sorted out. Gestures like this restore your faith in your fellow man. Sounds airy fairy but I was glad they were there. Meals on wheels bring food from local hotels and soft toys. Everybody bends over backwards to help and thank god we have understanding employers.
We move into a 4 star hotel as accomodation is scarce which is understandable. After two weeks we move into a unit owned by a lady in Angies work which is too small but will have to do. Back to sleeping on a blow-up bed but the locality is ideal and we can take wee Jinky which we couldn't do in a hotel. We are close to the house and can oversee much of the work and iron out any probs quickly which I have to say are plenty when dealing with builders from Mackay
To cut a long story short, builders came and went. They have left me with a beautiful house and insurance got me a brand new car. (other one was only 6 weeks old but I never liked it). Mackay slowly got back on its feet although some people are still waiting to have their houses fixed. There are the usual gripes about builders and insurers but thankfully ours weren't too bad. Probably because we were around the house every day and never gave them a minutes peace, sometimes even getting to the stage of threatening violence if something wasn't sorted. Our project manager was a fellow Scot which did help slightly (although he did support Hearts)
So after two years, I have died and been flooded out so just waiting on the fire. Personally, I still love it here and even bought a barbie last week. I now suppose thats me turning into an Aussie but under no circumstances will you catch me saying awesome Its been a bumpy ride but we're still dancing and jabbing and hanging in there and I'm now applying for my PR. Bring on year 3 but whisper it. I want it to be boring.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PART 4. THE END THANK GOD

Originally Posted by framac67
To those not familiar with floods, (I include myself) they are devastating and affect every part of your life and you are powerless. 3.30am and the rain is battering the roof relentlessly. I decide to check the garage room as its lower than the rest of the house. Two inches of water cover the floor but as long as it doesn't enter the house, we should be fine. My hopes are dashed by about 7am when it starts to enter through the doors and in no time at all has risen to unacceptable levels.

So after two years, I have died and been flooded out so just waiting on the fire. Personally, I still love it here and even bought a barbie last week. I now suppose thats me turning into an Aussie but under no circumstances will you catch me saying awesome Its been a bumpy ride but we're still dancing and jabbing and hanging in there and I'm now applying for my PR. Bring on year 3 but whisper it. I want it to be boring.
Working as I do in the centre coordinating the response to events like the Mackay floods, my heart is always in my mouth when I hear of events hitting areas where I know I have "cyber-mates".
Hearing the story from the other side always makes it more real, and makes me feel so humble when I think of us directing the operations while you guys are out there living through it, especially when its an event that arises so fast like the Mackay floods did.
You and your family certainly haven't had it easy have you, and you really deserve some good luck now. Lets hope this storm season lets you and Queensland down more gently.
Here's to your year 3

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 10th 2008 at 12:01 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:02 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I wiz wondering when this wiz coming. Guts and determination springs tae mind. All the best for the forthcoming year

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

What an absolute incredible story. Lesser Men/Women would have given up and not without reason either.

You and your family are so resiliant. All the best for the future, only way is up!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great!! You survived!

I had guessed that you had survived to tell the tale, but it was a hell of a tale. You're a fab family - thing will go right for you now I'm sure.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 5:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The story is complete. Some trials you've been through there - wishing you a boring year 3.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:17 am
MelAndDan

Oh my God!!! What an incredible story!

All the best for Year 3. May it bring PR but be boring otherwise.

Mel

Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

A fantastic update & thanks for finally finishing it
All the best for a quiet & boring year
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
A fantastic update & thanks for finally finishing it
All the best for a quiet & boring year
If you ask Angie she'll tell you I don't do boring, just wishful thinking.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Sending the most boring mundane everydayness vibes. So glad everything is going in the right direction.....awesome really...Hoping PR comes quickly for you all...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

I take my hat off to you & yours, & told with such wit & scottish humour. All the best for whatever comes next, I somehow doubt it will be boring.

Take care of each other.

Donna
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67
If you ask Angie she'll tell you I don't do boring, just wishful thinking.

Btw, I think I got some karma from Ozzy Dog that was meant for you, it says you are inspiring & wishes you well! Obviously don't know what a karma whore you are!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[
We spend the night at the neighbours and next day the waters have
So after two years, I have died and been flooded out so just waiting on the fire. Personally, I still love it here and even bought a barbie last week. I now suppose thats me turning into an Aussie but under no circumstances will you catch me saying awesome Its been a bumpy ride but we're still dancing and jabbing and hanging in there and I'm now applying for my PR. Bring on year 3 but whisper it. I want it to be boring.[/QUOTE]

Alright, alright, i'll stop whinging here
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:27 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, and WOW again, youve certainly kept us entertained...what an eventful time of it youve had....

Lots of K heading your way and i hope year 3 is stressless and chilled for you all.
Kat xxxxxx
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:58 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Great ending and I'm really pleased it's all finally worked out

Good luck in everything you do moving forward as you deserve it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.