Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Hey Lone Ranger I'm with you all the way, we got our visa Feb 05, luckily we validated August 05. Then with life and one thing and another we delayed in making the final decision to put the house on the market but did so in January 07, now 2 years later and only 13 months until the visa expires we are also still sat in blighty waiting for someone to buy our house. We have 2 interested parties but they can't sell their houses. Renting is out of the question as we couldn't raise enough rent to pay mortgage and rental firm fees.

On the other hand, I now too think we will go when the time is right, not sure if this is ME trying to make ME feel better but would probably go insane otherwise. I felt sure that 2008 was our year but hey ho!!!!

Good luck and hope things work out right in the end for you

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Its just a tad frustrating that when we were ready to go the world goes into financial meltdown, however, we have validated our visas and I can think of much worse scenarios. I hope you have found your new surroundings to be all that you hoped for and wish you every success in Australia.

We know a lot of people who are in Australia and who were going through the visa process at the same time as ourselves, everyone has a different tale to tell, different circumstances and with hindsight this thread may have been done with a different slant. We are positive about everything and will hopefully be in Australia this year. You have not rubbed salt in to any wounds as we are not people to be bitter about anything, we take a lot of strength from people like youselves who have gone on to the next phase and we look forward to joining you.

Best Wishes

John & Stella
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by louise
Hey Lone Ranger I'm with you all the way, we got our visa Feb 05, luckily we validated August 05. Then with life and one thing and another we delayed in making the final decision to put the house on the market but did so in January 07, now 2 years later and only 13 months until the visa expires we are also still sat in blighty waiting for someone to buy our house. We have 2 interested parties but they can't sell their houses. Renting is out of the question as we couldn't raise enough rent to pay mortgage and rental firm fees.

On the other hand, I now too think we will go when the time is right, not sure if this is ME trying to make ME feel better but would probably go insane otherwise. I felt sure that 2008 was our year but hey ho!!!!

Good luck and hope things work out right in the end for you
Wow! January 07 where in the UK are you as that seems a long time to be on the market? I hope you get some joy with the 2 interested parties as your need to sell in terms of visa expiry is more critical than ours.

Best of luck to you

Lone Ranger
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! January 07 where in the UK are you as that seems a long time to be on the market? I hope you get some joy with the 2 interested parties as your need to sell in terms of visa expiry is more critical than ours.

Best of luck to you

Lone Ranger
Where are you in Scotland?
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kevin747
Where are you in Scotland?
In Moodiesburn, just outside Glasgow on road to Cumbernauld. Originally from Maryhill born and bred, wife's from Airdrie
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

In Moodiesburn, just outside Glasgow on road to Cumbernauld. Originally from Maryhill born and bred, wife's from Airdrie
I know it well. I'm from Blantyre then Glasgow then Lochwinnoch.I know that you are desparate to sell.Would letting be an idea?

Scottish house prices have held up well in comparison.We let our house out in Lochwinnoch and have had it let for the year that we've here.I like you wanted to sell up but my wife(the smart girl) wanted to keep our house in Lochwinnoch .I'm so glad she did.

It might not be an option but if you can I would advise you to hold on to it if you can.

I did a reccie,read the aussie papers everyday but I you can not fully know what it's like until you live here.

I'm in Victoria so I can't speak for Queensland but believe me I have met many Scots here who can't go back.So if you can don't burn your bridges.
I don't know your line of work but next year will be tough for Australia and as an immigrant I think things are tougher

Good luck(even though you 're a Rangers man)
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

I know it well. I'm from Blantyre then Glasgow then Lochwinnoch.I know that you are desparate to sell.Would letting be an idea?

Scottish house prices have held up well in comparison.We let our house out in Lochwinnoch and have had it let for the year that we've here.I like you wanted to sell up but my wife(the smart girl) wanted to keep our house in Lochwinnoch .I'm so glad she did.

It might not be an option but if you can I would advise you to hold on to it if you can.

I did a reccie,read the aussie papers everyday but I you can not fully know what it's like until you live here.

I'm in Victoria so I can't speak for Queensland but believe me I have met many Scots here who can't go back.So if you can don't burn your bridges.
I don't know your line of work but next year will be tough for Australia and as an immigrant I think things are tougher

Hi Kevin

We've discussed renting out our house but don't think there would be enough of a rent to cover the mortgage and we also need the cash from the sale to take with us. It has always been my opinion that keeping a property back in the UK makes it easier to throw in the towel when the going gets tough, as it inevitably will from time to time in Australia with homesickness etc and I didn't want a magnet / safety net back in Scotland pulling us back at the first sign of trouble if that makes any sense?

I am a Joiner to trade and do all building work and my wife's a hairdresser. We have done the recce bit and have a fair idea of where we are going to settle and how we will approach things, however, we know that things will be different from our trip as we will be residents rather than holidaymakers!

Things are tight for everyone and everywhere at the minute but the Scottish nature has always been to 'tough it out and battle through it' and we are no different. I am aware that Australia will suffer a bit like everywhere else and we will be prepared for it and being an immigrant will only serve to make us work harder to make this successful.

Lone Ranger
Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kevin

We've discussed renting out our house but don't think there would be enough of a rent to cover the mortgage and we also need the cash from the sale to take with us. It has always been my opinion that keeping a property back in the UK makes it easier to throw in the towel when the going gets tough, as it inevitably will from time to time in Australia with homesickness etc and I didn't want a magnet / safety net back in Scotland pulling us back at the first sign of trouble if that makes any sense?

I am a Joiner to trade and do all building work and my wife's a hairdresser. We have done the recce bit and have a fair idea of where we are going to settle and how we will approach things, however, we know that things will be different from our trip as we will be residents rather than holidaymakers!

Things are tight for everyone and everywhere at the minute but the Scottish nature has always been to 'tough it out and battle through it' and we are no different. I am aware that Australia will suffer a bit like everywhere else and we will be prepared for it and being an immigrant will only serve to make us work harder to make this successful.

Lone Ranger
Hi LR

I appreciate your position.I also think that "having to make a go of it" can help.At least if you sell and don't buy right away here you will have your capital to return with if the place is not to your taste.Property is generally more expensive here and some (myself incuded) think there will be a big correction here too.It's happened before.

My predicament was that I own a house in Scotland and my wife earns half here than she does in Scotland and she is on a career break.I also get paid more in Scotland so it's a little easier for us to return . We have also considered school costs(the public education system is poor) and associated costs like dental treatment for kids.
I also think Australia can be very good for tradesmen although my Irish pal who is a joiner says that at first people are a bit threatened(UK joiners are better trained).
I'm looking forward to going back and never being the moaning Minnie I was before again.All the same social ills are here also .

I wish you the best of luck

Good luck with the move
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Rodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to allRodfan is a name known to all

Very, very good advice, especially the part about "burning your bridges"
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

but believe me I have met many Scots here who can't go back
How can they not go back?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rightruccus
The upheaval of moving again,with little money and no home for a start.

I've met people who have children who have settled here and married, so distance from family remaining in Australia is an issue.

My son is 15 so he can adapt after just missing a year in Scotland(where Uni education is free). If down the line he met someone and settled here I doubt my wife would return to Scotland hence me being stuck here.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Cheers Kevin

I see what you mean now. Having older children, or as you say, having grown up children who are settled in this country can make the decision to return to your native land a lot harder.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rightruccus
there are hundreds of reasons people cant go back, read the MBTTUK for some stories.

Goodluck Loneranger for 2008, am one who's stuck, wish i had been as smart as kevs wife, like you we needed the funds of house sale, with hindsight i wish we had remortgaged and used the cash from that and let house.

Our 17 year olds friend is here visiting just now and we are all getting lower and lower as she talks about scotland (especially when she talks of going to university, why the hell did i let my teen miss out on a cheap (but brilliant)scottish education)

You can get fanastic eduction here for you kids if you pay a fantastic price!!! otherwise they may sink in the public system!!!!!!

Last edited by Margaret3; Jan 8th 2009 at 5:45 am.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Margaret3
there are hundreds of reasons people cant go back, read the MBTTUK for some stories.

Goodluck Loneranger for 2008, am one who's stuck, wish i had been as smart as kevs wife, like you we needed the funds of house sale, with hindsight i wish we had remortgaged and used the cash from that and let house.

Our 17 year olds friend is here visiting just now and we are all getting lower and lower as she talks about scotland (especially when she talks of going to university, why the hell did i let my teen miss out on a cheap (but brilliant)scottish education)

You can get fanastic eduction here for you kids if you pay a fantastic price!!! otherwise they may sink in the public system!!!!!!
Read your previous posts with interest Margaret, haven't seen much from you recently and we thought everything and yourselves had settled a bit. Your a tough cookie and you'll be okay.

Best of luck

PS. Stella says 'Hello'

Lone Ranger
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Margaret3

I hope you are well.I think we all realize we made mistakes coming here .I hope you have settled or can find a way of returning
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi Kevin

Lone Ranger
Nice one loanranger. You will fit in with the Aussies very well, they can be very much like that too.

Good luck with everything, I am sure as long as you are still standing, got your health and have a great relationship it's all-good.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.