Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:20 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 3 Years and still in Scotland

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Hi folks, arrived in Brisbane 01.30 on 24th July, staying in furnished rental in McDowall, viewed an unfurnished in Bridgeman Downs yesterday and another 4 today in Carseldine! Need to get one quickly as we are due out of the furnished rental on friday 1st August!

Got Aussie SIM cards for our mobiles today, suffering a bit with jet lag although not as bad as it was in 2007 on our validation trip, I think it should settle down in another couple of days. Our container is scheduled to arrive on 27th August all going well.

Bank to activate accounts, tax file numbers, rental applications tomorrow. Medicare, schools on tuesday and then cars and jobs thereafter.

The joys of being an ex-pat!
Ah welcome LR, hope you guys are bearing up well. How are the kids and wife doing?

Luck to you all!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Ah welcome LR, hope you guys are bearing up well. How are the kids and wife doing?

Luck to you all!
Yeah we're all fine just a bit stressed out at times, counting the days till our container arrives, feels as if we have nothing that's ours at the moment and getting an unfurnished rental ASAP is paramount!

We had to pay £350 excess baggage on the way over which we negotiated down from £895! Girl at Glasgow airport says we flew out on the wrong day and got the wrong supervisor (Emirates) otherwise they would've just stuck the stuff through with no extra charge as we were emigrating and that the supervisor was a bit of a 'jobs worth'.

We should get back to some normality once we start work and the boys start school which will hopefully be soon!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! hope you have a great life in Aus
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we're all fine just a bit stressed out at times, counting the days till our container arrives, feels as if we have nothing that's ours at the moment and getting an unfurnished rental ASAP is paramount!

We had to pay £350 excess baggage on the way over which we negotiated down from £895! Girl at Glasgow airport says we flew out on the wrong day and got the wrong supervisor (Emirates) otherwise they would've just stuck the stuff through with no extra charge as we were emigrating and that the supervisor was a bit of a 'jobs worth'.

We should get back to some normality once we start work and the boys start school which will hopefully be soon!
It gets different mate. Was going to say easier but not always the case.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Just a quick note to say congratulations on getting there LR. Haven't been on here in a long while so i've missed a lot. Wishing you all the best wishes in the world for your new life.

take care and enjoy every minute x
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:56 pm
bring on the sun please

crazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant futurecrazynconfused has a brilliant future

Have just been reading through some of the thread LR and it all sounds so exciting and scarey for you. I was just wondering how you and your family are settling in now and how you are all feeling about your move
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crazynconfused
Have just been reading through some of the thread LR and it all sounds so exciting and scarey for you. I was just wondering how you and your family are settling in now and how you are all feeling about your move
We have now passed the 3 month mark in what has seemed like an epic! Quite a lot has happened since I last posted in this thread so here goes!

We are living in a beautiful house in Bridgeman Downs and slummed it for a while like most of you have done whilst waiting on our container to arrive. Our container arrived 9th September so the house now feels like a home. Our boys are settled in at school, have made loads of new friends and are doing great. They love the outdoors and they have joined a nearby football club (soccer to you Aussies) and our youngest Adam in particular is doing great at the club.

Work has been a bit of a mixed bag for me. I had my own business back in Scotland which was doing great and found it a bit of a change to be working for someone over here, particularly someone who couldn’t run a bath never mind a building company, however, I have now set the wheels in motion to start up on my own again and have been very busy doing my own jobs following a few flyers out around the parish and I am currently waiting on my BSA licence being processed. Stella is working in a local hair and beauty salon with hours to suit herself which is great especially as we can both work around the boys school hours.

Our social life has been great and we have made many new friends as well as seeing our existing Aussie pals. Our weekends are great with trips to the coast, Southbank etc. I have joined the local Rangers supporters club and enjoy the games and the banter with all the folk at the club. Overall we are where we have always wanted to be and are having a great time.

On the downside, as many of you will be aware we have had a bit of a rocky road in getting here and we have recently been dealt a bit of a blow as my Dad has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and sadly does not have long to go so unfortunately I will be heading back to Scotland shortly as he nears the end. Stella’s mum has also been admitted to a respite home as she has Alzheimer’s so it has been that bit harder at the moment, however, we are safe in the knowledge that both of them are happy that we are in Australia and that life goes on.

Everyone that we have met since we came here have been great and everyone that have helped us from BE with your words of wisdom, advice and sharing your experiences have been great. Thanks everyone.

Until the next update.

John, Stella and the boys
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:19 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

We have now passed the 3 month mark in what has seemed like an epic! Quite a lot has happened since I last posted in this thread so here goes!

We are living in a beautiful house in Bridgeman Downs and slummed it for a while like most of you have done whilst waiting on our container to arrive. Our container arrived 9th September so the house now feels like a home. Our boys are settled in at school, have made loads of new friends and are doing great. They love the outdoors and they have joined a nearby football club (soccer to you Aussies) and our youngest Adam in particular is doing great at the club.

Work has been a bit of a mixed bag for me. I had my own business back in Scotland which was doing great and found it a bit of a change to be working for someone over here, particularly someone who couldn’t run a bath never mind a building company, however, I have now set the wheels in motion to start up on my own again and have been very busy doing my own jobs following a few flyers out around the parish and I am currently waiting on my BSA licence being processed. Stella is working in a local hair and beauty salon with hours to suit herself which is great especially as we can both work around the boys school hours.

Our social life has been great and we have made many new friends as well as seeing our existing Aussie pals. Our weekends are great with trips to the coast, Southbank etc. I have joined the local Rangers supporters club and enjoy the games and the banter with all the folk at the club. Overall we are where we have always wanted to be and are having a great time.

On the downside, as many of you will be aware we have had a bit of a rocky road in getting here and we have recently been dealt a bit of a blow as my Dad has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and sadly does not have long to go so unfortunately I will be heading back to Scotland shortly as he nears the end. Stella’s mum has also been admitted to a respite home as she has Alzheimer’s so it has been that bit harder at the moment, however, we are safe in the knowledge that both of them are happy that we are in Australia and that life goes on.

Everyone that we have met since we came here have been great and everyone that have helped us from BE with your words of wisdom, advice and sharing your experiences have been great. Thanks everyone.

Until the next update.

Ah Lone, great that are all finally settled in, takes a while but before you know it, your things have arrived and your house soon fills up. I can't believe you are setting up your own business already, that was so quick

That is so sad about your dad and I suppose now all you can focus on is going back to see him.

I wish you luck Lone
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Ah Lone, great that are all finally settled in, takes a while but before you know it, your things have arrived and your house soon fills up. I can't believe you are setting up your own business already, that was so quick

That is so sad about your dad and I suppose now all you can focus on is going back to see him.

I wish you luck Lone
Cheers SC you know where to look if you're needing any building or joinery work done . Probably get banned for that!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:08 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers SC you know where to look if you're needing any building or joinery work done . Probably get banned for that!
Hey guys, glad to hear life settling down...Will definately keep you in mind re building/joinery...As you know our house is a work of art just waiting to happen!

Sorry to hear of the sad news from the UK....

Cheers

Ginny
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Hi John,
We wondered how you were getting on that's good that you have settled in. Work takes a while to sort itself out too and it is a case of bearing with it.
So sorry about your news back home though.
Michelle & Alan
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
Hi John,
We wondered how you were getting on that's good that you have settled in. Work takes a while to sort itself out too and it is a case of bearing with it.
So sorry about your news back home though.
Michelle & Alan
Hi Michelle & Alan

Hope you are both doing well. I will PM you later.

John & Stella
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Until the next update.

Good to hear you have settled so quickly mate. Gives me hope. Sorry to hear about your dad & Stella's mum. Been there & it's no' nice!!
Good luck & keep us posted.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:03 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Hey John, werent you on my spreadsheet? my god it seems so long ago. I dont come on here often these days but i do pop on now and again. Fantastic to see you guys finally made it after a mamouth wait. Hope life is treating you well. We love it over here in Perth and it was defo the right move for us.

Good luck guys

Nev.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

magic_stag is an unknown quantity at this point

I was gonna say rent the house out, but I did not realise the thread was so long and that you actually arrived!