On our way

Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

mad scots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On our way

Just an update on the big move to Adelaide. Well my husband was over about 4 weeks ago now for the interview, got the job. We have now sold our house, car, and anything else we think we dont need, the removal people have been contacted, and we are flying from Aberdeen on the 31st August. So i guess in about 5 weeks time we'll all be there. My husband ended up flying there on his own for a week to sort some stuff out, and hasn't stopped talking about it since, so lets hope we all like it as much as he did. My husbands new employer has arranged for us to stay in a serviced apartment in the CBD for the first 3 weeks, so we can then have a base to try to find somewhere to rent.Not much else to say for now, just all very excited / nervous and cant wait for it all to get going.

Gillian / Shaun and Kids
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:13 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On our way

Originally Posted by mad scots View Post
Just an update on the big move to Adelaide. Well my husband was over about 4 weeks ago now for the interview, got the job. We have now sold our house, car, and anything else we think we dont need, the removal people have been contacted, and we are flying from Aberdeen on the 31st August. So i guess in about 5 weeks time we'll all be there. My husband ended up flying there on his own for a week to sort some stuff out, and hasn't stopped talking about it since, so lets hope we all like it as much as he did. My husbands new employer has arranged for us to stay in a serviced apartment in the CBD for the first 3 weeks, so we can then have a base to try to find somewhere to rent.Not much else to say for now, just all very excited / nervous and cant wait for it all to get going.

Gillian / Shaun and Kids
Good luck
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:29 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great news,hope everythings turns out happy days
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mad scots View Post

Gillian / Shaun and Kids
Hi Gillian, we too are flying out to Adelaide but on the 1st of September. Are you stopping over anywhere. We have never been to Australia, and have no relatives there so we are really out on a limb. Im having a bit of a wobble today, the shipping people are coming on Thursday and Ive just realised how much more there is still to do! Good luck and let us know how youre getting on.

donna
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doje6863 View Post
Hi Gillian, we too are flying out to Adelaide but on the 1st of September. Are you stopping over anywhere. We have never been to Australia, and have no relatives there so we are really out on a limb. Im having a bit of a wobble today, the shipping people are coming on Thursday and Ive just realised how much more there is still to do! Good luck and let us know how youre getting on.

donna
Hi, we are not stopping off anywhere, my husband flew over about 4 weeks ago to sort some stuff out, and says it's not too bad a flight. We are connecting via heathrow, then KL. So we will arrive in Adelaide on the sunday morning. The rest of us have never been either, and we also do not have any relatives over there, but luckily enough, my usbands work have sorted out somewhere for us to stay to start with, and also given him about 4 weeks off when we get there, so we will have time to sort things out. Our shipping people will be here in 3 weeks, and we have to move out of our house on 24th, so staying at relatives for a week before we go over. Do you know where you will be staying when you get there? And how many of you are there going? I will definately keep in touch when we get there, and give us a call, we can meet up and be the newbies together in Adelaide!! lol

Gillian
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

We get there 24 hours after you, you'll be well settled by then!!!..... Theres me (nurse) him (jeff, engineer) and two girls aged 14 and 12. We've booked into Adelaide shores, caravan type place for a week and then we'll see. We're still waiting to hear if we've got accomodation on arrival. I think you are practically guarenteed meet and greet so at least someone ill be there to show us where we're supposed to be staying. Speak to you soon, bubble wrap is calling!

donna
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by doje6863 View Post
We get there 24 hours after you, you'll be well settled by then!!!..... Theres me (nurse) him (jeff, engineer) and two girls aged 14 and 12. We've booked into Adelaide shores, caravan type place for a week and then we'll see. We're still waiting to hear if we've got accomodation on arrival. I think you are practically guarenteed meet and greet so at least someone ill be there to show us where we're supposed to be staying. Speak to you soon, bubble wrap is calling!

donna
Yeah, we'll be just like the locals!! lol. We got a boy and girl aged 6 and 4. Not sure where Adelaide shores are, we are staying in Franklin Street Apartments, right in te CBD, but will have transport as soon as possible, so could meet up somewhere to see how everything is going, Good thing is we are right next to china town and the shopping area.

Gillian
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:53 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

All the best with your new life. We will be in Adelaide in October to have a quick look around.

Joex
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Bon Voyage and good luck
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

I currently live in Adelaide if I can answer any questions please let me know

Kate
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kate, well, you've gone and done it now, everyone will be firing questions at you now! I dont know about anyone else but Im interested in areas to live, work in and schools for the children. I have seen jobs advertised in Glenside and Beverly(?), are these suburbs, do you know? My kids are 12 and 14. I believe the schooling is slightly different in that they would be going back a year to 7 and 9. Is that right? We are staying for a week at Adelaide shores and then looking for rental before we buy. Any tips regarding finding rentals, bit dubious about renting off the internet? Any thing we can bring over that will make our life easier, paperwork for example. Thanks ever so much Kate, I owe you a pint.

donna
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

Ok sorry for the slow reply ......son had the computer
Adelaide shores is a good place to base yourselves although can be a bit chilly this time of year ....as its right on the beach and it does get cold in Australia
Adelaide is not particularily big so getting around is easy
when we first moved here from melbourne 6 years ago ...we rented in Glenelg as it is central to most things ...its near the beach its 20 minutes from the city ,etc
Glenside and Beverly are not suburbs I know well as we have always lived in the South of Adelaide and infact bought just 15 mins further south of Glenelg. I can't help you with what to bring to make it easier but as far as renting goes i would imagine references etc would be useful ....will post more in a minute
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok 2nd installment
Yes you are right your children will be in years 7 and 9 I have a 14 year old daughter who is in year 9 and a 13 year old son in year 7 but we delayed his start to school ......it is worth noting that in Adelaide you go to primary school until year 7 and high school starts in year 8 in general..
I personally like the South ...as in the Suburbs Glenelg, Brighton,Hove Seacliff all of which at quite pricey but the suburbs surrounding them are also nice ...arm yourself with a street directory and just go driving we have always liked to live near the beach (why I don't know ...I hate sand)
As far as schools go are you looking for Government funded schools or private school ...catholic schools etc

Hope this is not to much info
Tell me to stop if you want
I'd talk the leg off a chair!!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to know anything else.....good luck with the packing and the move