British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Our turn for 3 months! and we went rural!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/our-turn-3-months-we-went-rural-416989/)

jothefw Jan 5th 2007 5:08 am

Our turn for 3 months! and we went rural!!

Suddenly realised that we’d got to the heady heights of 3 months in Australia. Can’t believe the time has gone so quickly.

To update for those who don’t know our history – we are a family of four, two young boys aged 5 and 3 when we landed. Our visa application started in July as was granted six weeks later at the end of August. We duly packed up house and home, sold cars, re-homed pets and put what was left on a ship! We landed Oct 5th 2006. My husband has been sponsored in on RSMS and we live 3 hrs out of Adelaide in drought stricken South Australia.

We were (and still are) very close to our families in UK and leaving them and our friends behind has been extremely hard. We were very prepared for it but perhaps we miss being able to speak to friends when ever we fancy it more than we thought we would – as in time difference problems! They’ve set themselves up on Skype and Messenger and I know I “speak” to my brother more now than I did when we were only up the road!

We’d got the job sorted, obviously as sponsored in, and due to the nature of our work that also meant our house was sorted too – there’s only one school to chose from and I’d organised the places for the children via email whilst still in UK. I’m not working yet but plan to in the next couple of months.

School has been brilliant, our eldest has started with peers in a large rural school, our youngest has started one day a week at the kindy. Facilities are better than we had in Cambridgeshire and there’s more focus on confidence building, inter-social skills, family involvement and whilst I thought my eldest may be a little bored to start with (as he’d done so much more school than fellow Australian’s) but he’s found it challenging and really doing well – particularly enjoys learning Indonesian! I’d got major panic attacks about putting my two small boys on the bus too – I’d walked them to school in UK but guess what they love that too! I have to bribe them if I’m in town and offer to bring them home!

We’ve two towns close to us (I mean 30 min drive), one’s slightly larger than the other. The larger town has been fine, more choice in shops etc, but the smaller has welcomed us so amazingly it’s wonderful. Friendships are beginning, massive community feel already. I got involved with the kindy committee and I think my husband may join Apex next year (it’s like a round circle type group). We’ve gone along to all the offers of bbqs etc and it’s a great way to meet people, especially as we’re so spaced out in this bit of Australia!

All the mundane stuff like Tax File Numbers, Bank Accounts, Medicare, buying car etc have been very easy – either online or in person. All been processed quickly and efficiently. Car buying was certainly easier than I anticipated (we didn’t even pay for it until 3 days after receiving delivery!)

The weathers been fine, nothing more or less than we expected. I was concerned the children would complain about the heat, they never have and play outside all the time. Eldest son has very fair skin and whilst I mean to put cream on every day it doesn’t always happen and so far he’s never burnt. They will never wear trousers ever again given the chance! They’re great at wearing their hats and now can play football, climb trees, ride bikes – all with their thongs on! We have been surprised with how much temperatures can vary – few days of nearly 40 c and then back down to low 20’s and then up, down etc! It’s good though as I can afford to do nothing on hot days as I can catch up on cooler days!

The first few days it was a little hard learning about all the deadly creatures that we now share our home with, white tips, red backs and brown snakes – all spotted in our house or close vicinity within couple of days of arriving! It made me feel sick to my stomach, the thought of what risks my two young, investigative boys might face – now I don’t give it a second thought, we know where they’re likely to be and leave well alone!

We had to cope without any of our household stuff for some 7 weeks in the end, plus the four weeks we’d already done in UK, but when it finally landed (UK end mislead us on delivery into dock) it was dealt with very quickly and although there were a couple of breakages it was nothing major and not worth claiming on insurance that’s for sure! Note to anyone going through the pack up at the moment – the only boxes that customs opened were those marked “ornaments” – which often had books in and one vase! Had cleaned as well as possible but no checks made to kids bikes, golf clubs, football goal, plant pots – even though all marked up! We’d bought a few bits before packing too and these were in original packaging so I worried we might be taxed on it, but I mentioned on our customs declaration that they were gifts etc and they didn’t check them or ask for any money!

Anyway I think I’ve waffled on enough – 3 months is still so soon into our new lives but to sum up … so far everyone we’ve met has been lovely and friendly (much grief about the cricket but we deserve it!), the children have adapted very very easily, schooling seems very good, cost of living is about the same but of higher standard generally and it’s living up to our expectations. One of our main reasons for coming was to spend more time as a family unit as my husband’s job wouldn’t be as many hours – this is improved but could be better but that too will come with time I hope! Any negatives? Have to check use by dates – not unusual to get home and realise we need to eat 12 yoghurts in 2 days! Have to keep curtains shut on very hot days to keep the house cool and it makes the house a bit dark! Can you get the impression I haven’t got many negatives!!! Oh – one thing … TV is rubbish! We can’t get normal telly so are on Austar which is just American repeats! Lucky we don’t watch much! There are a few goodies like Lost, 24, The Comedy Channel but that’s about it! Kids seem happy with Nick Jnr so an hour a day of that’s enough viewing in our house!

Here’s to all those still waiting on that wonderful call from your agent or case officer etc! Don’t expect it to be perfect from day one – you’d had a fair few years getting settled in UK before leaving it! Get friends and family on Skype before you leave – it helps for them to able to call you for nearly nothing whenever they can!

Loubags Jan 5th 2007 5:30 am

Re: Our turn for 3 months! and we went rural!!

Great post. Sounds like you're settling really well and making the most of your new life. ( Just watch those huntsman :D ).
Best wishes for the New Year.

moneypenny20 Jan 5th 2007 5:32 am

Sounds like you have settled really well. You probably make more effort being rural than others who moved to the cities.

Hope it contines. Good luck to you.

I still think the TV here is no different to the UK. Austar is the same as sky showing the same stuff and the free stuff isn't great but IMO it wasn't in the UK. And all the UK stuff that is good, appears on ABC or SBS or Austar at some point. Anyway, your kids sound like they are having a blast away from it, so it hardly matters.:D

leechy100 Jan 5th 2007 5:36 am

Originally Posted by jothefw (Post 4250624)
Suddenly realised that we’d got to the heady heights of 3 months in Australia. Can’t believe the time has gone so quickly.

To update for those who don’t know our history – we are a family of four, two young boys aged 5 and 3 when we landed. Our visa application started in July as was granted six weeks later at the end of August. We duly packed up house and home, sold cars, re-homed pets and put what was left on a ship! We landed Oct 5th 2006. My husband has been sponsored in on RSMS and we live 3 hrs out of Adelaide in drought stricken South Australia.

We were (and still are) very close to our families in UK and leaving them and our friends behind has been extremely hard. We were very prepared for it but perhaps we miss being able to speak to friends when ever we fancy it more than we thought we would – as in time difference problems! They’ve set themselves up on Skype and Messenger and I know I “speak” to my brother more now than I did when we were only up the road!

We’d got the job sorted, obviously as sponsored in, and due to the nature of our work that also meant our house was sorted too – there’s only one school to chose from and I’d organised the places for the children via email whilst still in UK. I’m not working yet but plan to in the next couple of months.

School has been brilliant, our eldest has started with peers in a large rural school, our youngest has started one day a week at the kindy. Facilities are better than we had in Cambridgeshire and there’s more focus on confidence building, inter-social skills, family involvement and whilst I thought my eldest may be a little bored to start with (as he’d done so much more school than fellow Australian’s) but he’s found it challenging and really doing well – particularly enjoys learning Indonesian! I’d got major panic attacks about putting my two small boys on the bus too – I’d walked them to school in UK but guess what they love that too! I have to bribe them if I’m in town and offer to bring them home!

We’ve two towns close to us (I mean 30 min drive), one’s slightly larger than the other. The larger town has been fine, more choice in shops etc, but the smaller has welcomed us so amazingly it’s wonderful. Friendships are beginning, massive community feel already. I got involved with the kindy committee and I think my husband may join Apex next year (it’s like a round circle type group). We’ve gone along to all the offers of bbqs etc and it’s a great way to meet people, especially as we’re so spaced out in this bit of Australia!

All the mundane stuff like Tax File Numbers, Bank Accounts, Medicare, buying car etc have been very easy – either online or in person. All been processed quickly and efficiently. Car buying was certainly easier than I anticipated (we didn’t even pay for it until 3 days after receiving delivery!)

The weathers been fine, nothing more or less than we expected. I was concerned the children would complain about the heat, they never have and play outside all the time. Eldest son has very fair skin and whilst I mean to put cream on every day it doesn’t always happen and so far he’s never burnt. They will never wear trousers ever again given the chance! They’re great at wearing their hats and now can play football, climb trees, ride bikes – all with their thongs on! We have been surprised with how much temperatures can vary – few days of nearly 40 c and then back down to low 20’s and then up, down etc! It’s good though as I can afford to do nothing on hot days as I can catch up on cooler days!

The first few days it was a little hard learning about all the deadly creatures that we now share our home with, white tips, red backs and brown snakes – all spotted in our house or close vicinity within couple of days of arriving! It made me feel sick to my stomach, the thought of what risks my two young, investigative boys might face – now I don’t give it a second thought, we know where they’re likely to be and leave well alone!

We had to cope without any of our household stuff for some 7 weeks in the end, plus the four weeks we’d already done in UK, but when it finally landed (UK end mislead us on delivery into dock) it was dealt with very quickly and although there were a couple of breakages it was nothing major and not worth claiming on insurance that’s for sure! Note to anyone going through the pack up at the moment – the only boxes that customs opened were those marked “ornaments” – which often had books in and one vase! Had cleaned as well as possible but no checks made to kids bikes, golf clubs, football goal, plant pots – even though all marked up! We’d bought a few bits before packing too and these were in original packaging so I worried we might be taxed on it, but I mentioned on our customs declaration that they were gifts etc and they didn’t check them or ask for any money!

Anyway I think I’ve waffled on enough – 3 months is still so soon into our new lives but to sum up … so far everyone we’ve met has been lovely and friendly (much grief about the cricket but we deserve it!), the children have adapted very very easily, schooling seems very good, cost of living is about the same but of higher standard generally and it’s living up to our expectations. One of our main reasons for coming was to spend more time as a family unit as my husband’s job wouldn’t be as many hours – this is improved but could be better but that too will come with time I hope! Any negatives? Have to check use by dates – not unusual to get home and realise we need to eat 12 yoghurts in 2 days! Have to keep curtains shut on very hot days to keep the house cool and it makes the house a bit dark! Can you get the impression I haven’t got many negatives!!! Oh – one thing … TV is rubbish! We can’t get normal telly so are on Austar which is just American repeats! Lucky we don’t watch much! There are a few goodies like Lost, 24, The Comedy Channel but that’s about it! Kids seem happy with Nick Jnr so an hour a day of that’s enough viewing in our house!

Here’s to all those still waiting on that wonderful call from your agent or case officer etc! Don’t expect it to be perfect from day one – you’d had a fair few years getting settled in UK before leaving it! Get friends and family on Skype before you leave – it helps for them to able to call you for nearly nothing whenever they can!

Thankyou for sharing your experiences. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your update. I am really glad you and your family have settled so well. It is interesting to hear a 'rural' report. Good luck and may all your experiences be positive ones.
Nicky x

northernbird Jan 5th 2007 5:37 am

Congrats from one Cambs person to another. Hope your happiness continues Jo.

sel Jan 5th 2007 5:58 am

Really pleased to hear you are settling in so well :)

We are 82kms from Perth and also have a 30/40 min trip into the nearest town for shopping and OH commutes to Perth each day (so not quite as rural as you). Kids also have to go to school on the bus 40mins but also love it.

I lived in suburbia when we first arrived and honestly found it harder and couldn't wait to get out (was ruralish in UK as well so nothing to do with perth, just what we prefer). Rural community spirit is fantastic as you all rely on each other alot more, therefore people are more welcoming and doors are always open. Unlike suburbia where its lock and bolt everything.

We too have met some wierd, wonderful and down right scary wildlife, but you do start to get used to it and I don't squeal half as much as I used to when we go spider hunting :D

We have been in oz 9 months with 5 of those months rural and it gets better and better :)

Rural is good .... :beer:

Vash the Stampede Jan 5th 2007 6:20 am

Wow, you live in Keith! :eek:

My wife and I stopped there on our way back to Melbourne from Adelaide during our reccie last year. It's a nice little town.

Congratulations on your first three months; I hope the next 9 are just as good! :)

Lord Pom Percy Jan 5th 2007 7:12 am

Is the larger town nearby Naracoorte? If you can have a look at the Naracoorte caves, also a trip to the Grampain mountains and Halls Gap just across the border in VIctoria is worth the visit.

tum Jan 5th 2007 7:22 am

Great post, thanks for taking the time
to talk about your realistic :) view
of living in Australia. We've been to
Bendigo, Halls Gap BTW and had a great
time there.

Cheers, Miranda

TeresaG Jan 5th 2007 7:52 am

Originally Posted by tum (Post 4250874)
Great post, thanks for taking the time
to talk about your realistic :) view
of living in Australia. We've been to
Bendigo, Halls Gap BTW and had a great
time there.

Cheers, Miranda

Great post. It sounds like you are settling in really well.

katsmajic Jan 5th 2007 10:15 am

Great post, time has flown by!
Good luck with the next 9 months.
Take care,
Kat xxx

Donna&Neil Jan 5th 2007 10:20 am

Hi a great read and real glad you and your family have found life in Australia good. Best wishes :)

Donna & Neil

kiwi_child Jan 5th 2007 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Loubags (Post 4250676)
Great post. Sounds like you're settling really well and making the most of your new life. ( Just watch those huntsman :D ).
Best wishes for the New Year.

Huntsman won't kill you though...just scare the shite out of you :scared:

jobart Jan 5th 2007 11:13 am

Originally Posted by kiwi_child (Post 4251275)
Huntsman won't kill you though...just scare the shite out of you :scared:

They keep turning up in my brother's pool filter...:scared: dead of course! I still would'nt touch them!

Great post jothefw, keep us posted on your adventure!

MartinLuther Jan 5th 2007 11:33 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 4250682)
Sounds like you have settled really well. You probably make more effort being rural than others who moved to the cities.

Hope it contines. Good luck to you.

I still think the TV here is no different to the UK. Austar is the same as sky showing the same stuff and the free stuff isn't great but IMO it wasn't in the UK. And all the UK stuff that is good, appears on ABC or SBS or Austar at some point. Anyway, your kids sound like they are having a blast away from it, so it hardly matters.:D

I'm with you on this one. About 80% of the programming is the same or similar. Obviously more adverts some of which are a bit shouty.

I couldn't see what people where complaining about until I stayed somewhere in rural Victoria where all they could get for Channel 9 was Imparja. Certainly brought back memories of Pearl and Dean. :D

:)