Our story 2 1/2 years

Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our story 2 1/2 years

Originally Posted by Seasider
The grass is always greener, eh? Well, OP you did say above that you have learned a lot about what makes you happy and, if it's not in Australia, good luck to you in finding it elsewhere.

I just get a sour taste in my mouth when people realise a place is not for them, and blame every other man and his dog for it. It sounds like they think those of us happy to be here (very early days for me, I admit) are fools. Everything is backwards, so we must be too. Maybe you made a mistake; there's no shame in admitting it and moving on. Quite the reverse.

My husband sells IT systems for a living. After six years in Asia, having moved there because his role in the UK was disappearing fast, he seems to be enjoying it here. Where places are behind in technology, there are opportunities. (Whether there is the budget is another matter. )

I hope, sincerely, that your "great role" turns out to be just that. I do however find your naming and shaming various organisations that don't come up to your high standards to be incredibly unprofessional.

I can walk to a variety of shops in five minutes. Butcher, fishmonger, poultry man, grocer, supermarket, clothes shops, bookstores, etc., etc. I have numerous restaurants, cafes and delis even closer. A couple of very popular and busy pubs, too. (I'm not a pub person so I couldn't comment on the pokies and sweaty vests.) Maybe you chose the wrong location for your lifestyle.

I hope you find what you're looking for back in the UK. All the Best.
I kid you not............being told by senior people in some big companies one thing then they do another is also unprofessional.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

The grass is always greener, eh? Well, OP you did say above that you have learned a lot about what makes you happy and, if it's not in Australia, good luck to you in finding it elsewhere.

I just get a sour taste in my mouth when people realise a place is not for them, and blame every other man and his dog for it. It sounds like they think those of us happy to be here (very early days for me, I admit) are fools. Everything is backwards, so we must be too. Maybe you made a mistake; there's no shame in admitting it and moving on. Quite the reverse.

My husband sells IT systems for a living. After six years in Asia, having moved there because his role in the UK was disappearing fast, he seems to be enjoying it here. Where places are behind in technology, there are opportunities. (Whether there is the budget is another matter. )

I hope, sincerely, that your "great role" turns out to be just that. I do however find your naming and shaming various organisations that don't come up to your high standards to be incredibly unprofessional.

I can walk to a variety of shops in five minutes. Butcher, fishmonger, poultry man, grocer, supermarket, clothes shops, bookstores, etc., etc. I have numerous restaurants, cafes and delis even closer. A couple of very popular and busy pubs, too. (I'm not a pub person so I couldn't comment on the pokies and sweaty vests.) Maybe you chose the wrong location for your lifestyle.

I hope you find what you're looking for back in the UK. All the Best.
If you live and work around McMahons Point no wonder you have that variety of shops and better work environment. Try doing that down here.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I am determined to look past the graffiti (mind you....just check it out on the city rail network.....even worse IMHO), to look past the rain, to look past the high cost of living and look past the small house I'll end up in. My quoted note below about the look of the buildings on the route into London was spot on, but now I know the exact same exists here and worse.

I am going to look forward to re-acquainting myself with what I took for granted - the English countryside (when it ain't raining), the english soccer, english pubs, our family and long term friends, the rich history of the UK, Europe on the doorstep (ski holiday to the Alps in February for me), grandparents, aunts, uncles, family weddings, garibaldi biscuits, decent curries, an absence of shoeless shirtless oiks in the supermarket ......and a happy wife.

Originally Posted by Hutch

Olibeneli
18/11/03 - "When I was skiing aged 20 Ozzies were streets ahead in confidence and social skills. Had no idea though if they could conjugate French verbs or recite Boyles law or tell me father of Queen Victoria or what Pythagoras was on about.......! Mind you......what bloody use is all that !"

Olibeneli 2/2/04 - "I had the misfortune to have to drive down the A23 from Burgess Hill to Central London on Sunday. Apart from the usual shoppers doing the Ikea run, what a god damn depressing journey it was.
Coulsden, Purley, Croydon, Streatham, Brixton look dire and totally overcrowded. Being a dull day didn't help but the traffic for a Sunday was just horrendous. It took near 3 hours. Apologies to anyone living on this route but no doubt it's why you want to move to Oz. ...........no doubt there is a similarly depressing route in Oz somewhere...........but it'd be hard pressed to compete for overcrowding and the general look of the buildings........

Anyone seen that pub called The Propeller on this route.........looks like something out of WW1 and all the graffiti you could ever want. Any visitors to the UK taking this route would think they were in Beirut.
"

Olibeneli 29/9/05 - The Uk "good" summers are a joy..........but they don't come too often, always have rain involved and the winter months are just too depressing for me. I think I do suffer from the SAD thingy - sunshine anytime for me.

It's funny how our views change. I wish you all the best back in the UK - but I'd advise you to read back through some of the posts you made on this forum - to prepare yourself for the reverse culture shock!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:41 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
If you live and work around McMahons Point no wonder you have that variety of shops and better work environment. Try doing that down here.
My point was, we chose this location for those reasons. As Nicky said recently on another thread about Sydney, some of us choose to live in a shoebox to get the lifestyle we want. It doesn't make us better or worse, more or less intelligent/savvy than the next man. It's all about the choices one makes - and maybe in a year or ten our priorities will change. Right now I'm struggling to fit everything into a house a third of the size of our last one (and the cold!), but I'm loving the stroll down to the waterfront for a soy latte and a gluten-free bun.

Mate, I'm not having a pop at you but do look forward - to your holiday in the Alps, etc. - rather than back. I may be new to Australia but I've been an expat for a few years and I've seen quite a few people go totally barking once the honeymoon period has worn off. They get bitter and twisted, everyone but them is an idiot, everything was done better back home, yadda yadda, and it doesn't help a jot.

Oh and a happy wife is very important, but so is a happy husband.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

You are right......exactly why I stated in my first post my best advice to people embarking on this trip is to research and research and research.

We came this way (Shellharbour area) as we had some family here, thought it was close to Sydney (2 hours by train at least is not close) and I also had a job here to come to. We mistakenly believed it was on a par with Sydney for most things that are important to us on a cultural level. As for houses.......I'll be going from a 4 bed palace with pool to something far smaller.......I've learned a valuable lesson......keep the wife happy and happiness may have a chance of following

My point was, we chose this location for those reasons. As Nicky said recently on another thread about Sydney, some of us choose to live in a shoebox to get the lifestyle we want. It doesn't make us better or worse, more or less intelligent/savvy than the next man. It's all about the choices one makes - and maybe in a year or ten our priorities will change. Right now I'm struggling to fit everything into a house a third of the size of our last one (and the cold!), but I'm loving the stroll down to the waterfront for a soy latte and a gluten-free bun.

Mate, I'm not having a pop at you but do look forward - to your holiday in the Alps, etc. - rather than back. I may be new to Australia but I've been an expat for a few years and I've seen quite a few people go totally barking once the honeymoon period has worn off. They get bitter and twisted, everyone but them is an idiot, everything was done better back home, yadda yadda, and it doesn't help a jot.

Oh and a happy wife is very important, but so is a happy husband.

Last edited by Olibeneli; Aug 4th 2008 at 4:00 am.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

glennmatchett is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=soulrebel;6641102]A bit hypocritical aren't you!!!!!QUOTE]

No not hypocritical at all, I am just saying that this fella is going to find a lot of changes, in the last year the open door policy of the British govenrment has led to a big increase. and that he might want to come over for a holiday to check it out as he said he wants the local pub with the log fire with the rain.

but then again you are Irish...
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:21 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
I've learned a valuable lesson......keep the wife happy and happiness may have a chance of following
Totally. I've always said that if my wife was unhappy - we'd move back to the UK too.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by glennmatchett

No not hypocritical at all, I am just saying that this fella is going to find a lot of changes, in the last year the open door policy of the British govenrment has led to a big increase. and that he might want to come over for a holiday to check it out as he said he wants the local pub with the log fire with the rain.

but then again you are Irish...

So its ok for all the moaning brits to go and invade OZ (and complain while they are there aswell) but its not ok for eastern europeans to move to britain for a new start where they work extremely hard and never complain under difficult circumstances (and many of whom are highly skilled but not given the chance in their field of expertise).
Oh hang on I forgot british can go where they like and when they please and people have to go along with that cause they are BRITS!!!
"One rule for them and one rule for us brits cause we are different and special"
Rule britannia and all that.........

Last edited by soulrebel; Aug 4th 2008 at 9:40 am.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Look mate – I don’t have any beef with you but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

I told the guy that there have been changes in the UK, you read in to that what you will

Yes we have the Eastern European and I don’t mind the fact they come over here but when they are unable to speak English and you have to pay a translator £50 for half an hour … there is a problem with the government. ( the fee for translating for the Pikies is obviously a bit more.

Obviously you have your own issues…. And I suggest that you take it away from this forum.

When Britain first, at heaven's command,
Arose from out the azure main,
Arose, arose, arose from out the a-azure main,
This was the charter, the charter of the land,
And guardian angels sang this strain:

Rule Britania!
Britannia rule the waves.
Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.

Rule Britannia!

The nations, not so blest as thee,
Must in their turn, to tyrants fall,
Must in ,must in, must in their turn, to tyrants fall,
While thou shalt flourish, shalt flourish great and free,
The dread and envy of them all.
(Chorus)
Rule Britannia!

Rule Britannia!
Brittons never, never, never shall be slaves.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 10:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we have the Eastern European and I don’t mind the fact they come over here but when they are unable to speak English and you have to pay a translator £50 for half an hour … there is a problem with the government..

So is there a problem with the Australian government as well?

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...ting/index.htm

Why do you think Australia is any different?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Grayling - what I find funny is that the likes of you and my friend soulrebel hide behind little id names rather than being yourselves. It is easy being a smart arse if your hiding behind something else.

If your going to be popping up URL when no one has asked, you might as well be honest and let everyone know who you are. Not so clever there now are you.

Right now I think the open door policy that the UK Government has will be the down fall of this country.

I am not talking about Australian government and I never made any reference to the Australian government, I mentioned the translation because my wife is a translator so have an understanding about just how much money she is making from the increased population of non English speakers. I think that it is wrong. Take it or leave it but I have a right to my opinion.

I think anyone that is leaving a country is doing so because the country they are living in is not meeting their expectations. I am no different to anyone else on this forum .
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Grayling - what I find funny is that the likes of you and my friend soulrebel hide behind little id names rather than being yourselves. It is easy being a smart arse if your hiding behind something else.

If your going to be popping up URL when no one has asked, you might as well be honest and let everyone know who you are. Not so clever there now are you.

Right now I think the open door policy that the UK Government has will be the down fall of this country.

I am not talking about Australian government and I never made any reference to the Australian government, I mentioned the translation because my wife is a translator so have an understanding about just how much money she is making from the increased population of non English speakers. I think that it is wrong. Take it or leave it but I have a right to my opinion.

I think anyone that is leaving a country is doing so because the country they are living in is not meeting their expectations. I am no different to anyone else on this forum .
Your wife will do well then.....the fees for translators in Australia are very similar.

As for usernames......the majority of people on this forum use them.

You are going to be in for quite a shock if you think there are no 'foreigners' in Australia......have you ever actually been?

......and many people move countries for positive reasons not simply to escape anything or because the country they are living in does not 'meet their expectations'.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Oh how brave we are when we don’t reveal who we really are. So come on then lets hear all about the positive reason you moved to Australia. I am sure that everyone wants to know the positive reason. But then again in order for it to be a positive you really had to have a negative…….

we don’t have to be patronising lets keep this to the subject…. Of course there are foreigners, I have not said that. I will say again I said the guy that started this thread that he ought to come over to the UK because it has changed and I am sure his little village that he used to live in has changed, be it for the good or the bad that is for him to decide, I just said that it will have changed.

The little local pubs are closing that is what I said.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Oh how brave we are when we don’t reveal who we really are. So come on then lets hear all about the positive reason you moved to Australia. I am sure that everyone wants to know the positive reason. But then again in order for it to be a positive you really had to have a negative…….
I have a house in Brisbane and one in the UK.

I spend time in both countries......because I have family in both countries.......whether you think that is positive or not is of little concern to me.

On balance I prefer the UK......especially my local pubs
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Um, are there some old and personal gripes coming out here, about which I'm blissfully unaware? This thread has taken a nasty turn.

(Yes, Seasider is my real name. Honestly.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.