Our story 2 1/2 years

Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our story 2 1/2 years

Good luck back in the YUK
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
All the places you list have full ADSL access at 8Mb down and 600kb upstream. I don't see myself as a country gent - all the ammenities I need are close to hand, north or south of here. But as you've pointed out - work is the big one and if you need to live near your job then you're stuck with certain areas.

Yea - they have strange definitions of cities here - apparently I live in the city of Shoalhaven. Oooh the bright lights. But then I used to live in Bath in the UK and that's classed as a city when in reality it's just a large town that did much of its sprawling during the Georgian and Victorian eras.

You're clearly not shit at your job as proven by the one you've landed back in the UK - but somethings just aren't meant to be. You're clearly disaffected with Australia beyond the job situation - you mention schooling and urban sprawl - so it's clearly the right decision. My sister-in-law lives down Surrey way - nice part of the world.
Just a quick reply before bed:

Lady I work with lives in Figtree....very close to Wollongong and can't get broadband.

The nice places are too far away from the conurbations that will house the advanced work places for my wife and I........can't see too many SAP implementations down Kangaroo Valley or Berry....but I'd like to be proved wrong.

I sum things up as some things here in Aus are great and some things are done really well (my kids soccer for one).......but where it's done poorly or in a backward or slow way....noone wants to listen to change things for the better or just does not give a toss.

All that aside.....going to be hard to leave and hard to stay but we gotta have happy home life.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:38 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

You seem to be wanting to 'live to work' ! Who cares if Australia is 10 or 20 years behind. It makes for a less stressful life. I too am a highly skilled professional but I definitely want to 'work to live' and I'd defintely prefer to be in outside playing football with my children rather than sittting in a pub having a pint while its hissing down outside.

Hope you're going to earn a good wage in the UK to pay for the 35% increase in gas bills

Anyway good luck for the future.

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
I started contributing to this forum many years ago. Went through the whole visa application thing, medicals, house selling, etc. Too stressful for words.

We moved to the Shellharbour area just south of Wollongong and after 2 1/2 years of giving it a go we are going back to the UK. My brother in law survived about 6 months in Townsville and other friends survived about 1 year in Bunbury in WA. We at least gave it a good go.

Our honest opinion is we wish we had never come despite having had some fantastic times. For us (we are both high skilled professionals) Aus is way behind the UK/USA/Europe in our lines of work. I have a well paid job (well over $100k) but it is too boring and not demanding nor am I learning a thing. I had 23 interviews for a new job across 15 different companies (so got 8 second interviews) and the treatment I endured was a joke....from being verbally offered a job then I hear nothing to all manner of shoddy treatment.

I have contacted the UK for roles in my field and been offered a great role immediately........all by way of video conference interview. I'll be earning way more in the UK than when I left 2 1/2 years ago....

Those people that post about red tape and needing degrees to stack shelves are dead right! My only advice to those embarking on the journey is to really really think long and hard, think about what you do and what you enjoy at work and if it is at all done in Aus in a way that will make you happy.

Research research and research again is my advice. Our kids have had a great time and they were one of the main reasons for coming here, but without a happy home life (in which work will play a major part on how happy you are) we can't endure things as it will affect the children. In a few short years they will be grown and gone and we will be wondering what the hell happened. Yes the beaches are great and it does get nice and sunny, but we have to spend at least 40 hours a week in work in which we are going backwards and no amount of sandy beach nor sunshine is feeding my brain anything. I am actually looking forward to a beer in a nice English pub with a log fire going and it pissing down outside.

To those on the journey...you will never know unless you give it a go but really do your homework.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Good post, Like you said , Research and more Research
Good Luck with your move.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 5:01 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

It's interesting how many people move to boring, isolated towns in Australia for the 'sun and lifestyle' only to return to the UK after a few years talking about how much they are looking forward to the rain....

I'm not having a go - I just think it's interesting that so many people think paradise is one thing, and then when they have that they realise they don't actually like it.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
You seem to be wanting to 'live to work' ! Who cares if Australia is 10 or 20 years behind. It makes for a less stressful life. I too am a highly skilled professional but I definitely want to 'work to live' and I'd defintely prefer to be in outside playing football with my children rather than sittting in a pub having a pint while its hissing down outside.

Hope you're going to earn a good wage in the UK to pay for the 35% increase in gas bills

Anyway good luck for the future.
I certainly enjoy my weekends and playing soccer....but I spend far more of my time at work and if that is shite how long can you suffer it. My threshhold may be lower than others. I also do not want my kids growing up in an area of underachievment because the planet these days operates as a global economy.........the particular area I am leaving does not offer enough variation for employment. Even my kids next door neighbour who wants to do hotel management says there is bugger all here and once he gets his degree he is offski.

What I save on school fees and stupid health costs I will pay for my increased gas bill. No pay rise in Australia for two years then I get a job back in the UK thats is GBP 20,000 more than 2 years ago it's no brainer.

Australia can be well suited to many people...just now we know after giving it a good go not us.....but my kids have had a great time and will miss many aspects.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 1:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
It's interesting how many people move to boring, isolated towns in Australia for the 'sun and lifestyle' only to return to the UK after a few years talking about how much they are looking forward to the rain....

I'm not having a go - I just think it's interesting that so many people think paradise is one thing, and then when they have that they realise they don't actually like it.
Very true. I think the problem is that we Brits are sun-starved. Summers are so short and erratic that we place huge emphasis on it - too much probably.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:02 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I started contributing to this forum many years ago. Went through the whole visa application thing, medicals, house selling, etc. Too stressful for words.
Back to the Black Jug for a pint then?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by glennmatchett
But I just wanted to say that, things back in the UK have changed, the old local English pub is now not so local, and you are most likely to be served your Ale by not the friendly local landlord or landlady but from some Polish or other eastern European.

Things have changed quite a bit I feel, such as schools my kids go to a school and we have five children in the year do not speak English, only Polish or Russian, I am guessing your kids are older but I do think you will see quite a few changes now in the UK as well.
A bit hypocritical aren't you!!!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Back to the Black Jug for a pint then?
I'll go anywhere for a pint that is not infested with sweaty blokes in singlets who look like they have not washed all week!. My local "pub" is a complete shithole....and that is all there is round here.....one pub.

If you are on about the Black Jug in Horsham....then yep that'll ding dang do for me.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:10 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

How strange is it that I recall a conversation with the OP in a pub in Horsham just a week before he left.

"If it doesn't work out, at least we tried". Well done for 2 1/2 years.

I may disagree based on my experience with your reasoning - but we arrived in different state, different backgrounds, perhaps different interactions which have led us to a completely opposite view. The one thing I appreciate is you have decided its not for you and your families happiness so good luck to you.

My interactions with clients of poorly planned, managed and financed ERP projects has been the same as those I found in the UK. The remuneration for such work has been the same although recently I commanded a higher package based on contacts and "Oz" history/experience.

Lastly try pulling the boat anything smaller than a 3 litre?
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The education system here over the last 10 years has led to an epidemic of generation Y kids (kids that just say WHY all they time and have no drive in them 'cos they want everything now).....so to ensure employers take on intelligent kids they only want educated people.....and first theing they want is a degree.

Olibeneli
18/11/03 - "When I was skiing aged 20 Ozzies were streets ahead in confidence and social skills. Had no idea though if they could conjugate French verbs or recite Boyles law or tell me father of Queen Victoria or what Pythagoras was on about.......! Mind you......what bloody use is all that !"

I am actually looking forward to a beer in a nice English pub with a log fire going and it pissing down outside.
Olibeneli 2/2/04 - "I had the misfortune to have to drive down the A23 from Burgess Hill to Central London on Sunday. Apart from the usual shoppers doing the Ikea run, what a god damn depressing journey it was.
Coulsden, Purley, Croydon, Streatham, Brixton look dire and totally overcrowded. Being a dull day didn't help but the traffic for a Sunday was just horrendous. It took near 3 hours. Apologies to anyone living on this route but no doubt it's why you want to move to Oz. ...........no doubt there is a similarly depressing route in Oz somewhere...........but it'd be hard pressed to compete for overcrowding and the general look of the buildings........

Anyone seen that pub called The Propeller on this route.........looks like something out of WW1 and all the graffiti you could ever want. Any visitors to the UK taking this route would think they were in Beirut.
"

Yes the beaches are great and it does get nice and sunny, but we have to spend at least 40 hours a week in work in which we are going backwards and no amount of sandy beach nor sunshine is feeding my brain anything.
Olibeneli 29/9/05 - The Uk "good" summers are a joy..........but they don't come too often, always have rain involved and the winter months are just too depressing for me. I think I do suffer from the SAD thingy - sunshine anytime for me.

It's funny how our views change. I wish you all the best back in the UK - but I'd advise you to read back through some of the posts you made on this forum - to prepare yourself for the reverse culture shock!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:15 am
Just Joined

VeeBeeBee is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been on this site for months and there seems to be some petty arguing going on as regards the merits of Australia and the personal justifications of returning to the UK. Arguing about it is pointless. You do what is right for you and your family. Good luck to you and I mean that sincerely. Personally, I wouldn't go back to live in the UK for anything. I love it here, have never been happier in my life and I'm a pensioner!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The grass is always greener, eh? Well, OP you did say above that you have learned a lot about what makes you happy and, if it's not in Australia, good luck to you in finding it elsewhere.

I just get a sour taste in my mouth when people realise a place is not for them, and blame every other man and his dog for it. It sounds like they think those of us happy to be here (very early days for me, I admit) are fools. Everything is backwards, so we must be too. Maybe you made a mistake; there's no shame in admitting it and moving on. Quite the reverse.

My husband sells IT systems for a living. After six years in Asia, having moved there because his role in the UK was disappearing fast, he seems to be enjoying it here. Where places are behind in technology, there are opportunities. (Whether there is the budget is another matter. )

I hope, sincerely, that your "great role" turns out to be just that. I do however find your naming and shaming various organisations that don't come up to your high standards to be incredibly unprofessional.

Somewhere in the country in west sussex where I can walk to shops, walk to a pub and have a wide selection of decent restaurants within a 15 minute drive for the social scene. That kind of things just does not exist around where I have been living in Aus....oh yes...and pubs without the circus lights of pokies....

Aus grew up on the american urban sprawl model based on cheap fuel for cars so people could drive everywhere.....those days are gone. Who wants to spend/use a litre of fuel to go buy a litre of milk......'cos aus also grew up on totally unnecessary 4.0 litre V8 family saloons.
I can walk to a variety of shops in five minutes. Butcher, fishmonger, poultry man, grocer, supermarket, clothes shops, bookstores, etc., etc. I have numerous restaurants, cafes and delis even closer. A couple of very popular and busy pubs, too. (I'm not a pub person so I couldn't comment on the pokies and sweaty vests.) Maybe you chose the wrong location for your lifestyle.

I hope you find what you're looking for back in the UK. All the Best.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VeeBeeBee
I haven't been on this site for months and there seems to be some petty arguing going on as regards the merits of Australia and the personal justifications of returning to the UK. Arguing about it is pointless. You do what is right for you and your family. Good luck to you and I mean that sincerely. Personally, I wouldn't go back to live in the UK for anything. I love it here, have never been happier in my life and I'm a pensioner!
Thanks for this note.

My wife has never posted to this forum and despite how I felt pre-Australia and how I feel now and even though I know I will miss manythings, my wife is unhappy. That's all that's needed to make the return...increased gas bills or not life is too short to continue to be unhappy every day you wake up, even if the sun is shining and it's glorious. The area we settled in is plain and simple backward and the Australian assessment of my wifes full blown medical skills (which are fully qualified in the UK) is shite.

She started a course here (on which they doubted her ability as she had no degree)..passed it with friggin distinction on a subject she hates. Says it all about standards. All I see is two high skilled in demand people returning when everywhere I turn I read this place needs us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.