Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Our First Year in Redlands - Brisbane Bayside

Our First Year in Redlands - Brisbane Bayside

Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:59 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Our First Year in Redlands - Brisbane Bayside

Deciding where to live

We had decided on the Brisbane area and needed to be commuting distance to the CBD. We decided that Bayside (Birkdale – Mount Cotton) suited us most – wanted a boat so needed to be near the sea. We didn’t mind which suburb as they are all pretty similar so it was a case of finding the right house.

Finding a rental

It took us 8 days to get a rental – less than that really as the first week we were trying to decide where to live. There are lots of scare stories but in our case we knew we would only be renting for a short time so were not looking for perfect, just clean and in a good location. We rented in Wellington Point , had a great rental agent and no problems in re-letting it after only 4 months.

Buying a House

We came with quite a bit of equity– the only real problem was deciding what kind of place to buy – torn between very close to sea or acreage – in the end after noticing how noisy the locals could be and not liking how overlooked the new houses were we decided on what they call mini-acreage. Then the problem was finding available places for sale – the house we bought we found by chance when exploring all the local roads – its perfect for us, we feel like we’re in the middle of nowhere but only 5 mins from both Cleveland and Victoria Point. Probably as a family the best thing about the house is the neighbours – there are kids the same age as mine and they play together all the time we are home.

Work

Searching through the jobs ads I realised that despite having much higher level post-16 teaching qualifications to get work here getting a Certificate IV in Training and Assessing would be a great help. I booked on a 10 week one day a week course at the local TAFE. I met a really good bunch of people, learned some useful info and terminology and got the first job I applied for at the Southbank Institute of Technology.

Ian is an Oracle developer and we were worried that he wouldn’t be able to find work here. However it didn’t take long at all and he has been working since November. It’s not the best role he has ever had but I think its important to take anything to get some Australian experience on your CV and this will help when you start looking for your next job.

Schools

We got here and really couldn’t decide what to do about the schools – in the end we were staying with people who both had degrees and were successful so we decided to take their advice! Our children go to a private Catholic school and I think we made the right choice despite not being Catholics. Its central location meant we weren’t restricted to where we bought a house and it’s a very warm and caring school.

On the whole I think the schools here are great, much more sport, public speaking and fun than in the UK, however my very academic child has found the maths here way behind what she was doing in the UK. This has meant we are moving her to a different school next year where she will hopefully find the work a bit more challenging. My son has mild learning difficulties and he has had a lot of support at the school so far.

Weather

Rain rain and more rain! It started raining the day after we arrived and with the exception of two longish dry periods in July and May it seems to have rained quite a fair bit. Not at all what we were expecting after all the talk of drought, but good as it meant less to worry about and probably made our first summer a lot more bearable. We are really glad we chose to be this close to the coast – there is always a breeze in the afternoons and it gets noticeably more humid when you are in the CBD.

Shopping

Well you can get what you need here but I never feel enthusiastic here about a day out clothes shopping. Yes I was a Next fan but also liked Primark, Gap, M&S, BHS, Asda and Monsoon. I have bought things from Meyer, Crossroads, Target and Kmart and Rockmans but struggled a bit and will be taking an empty suitcase back to the UK when I go back for a holiday. Despite what you might read on BE about fashion sense in Qld in Bayside people are on the most part very smart and well dressed.

The food shopping is fine, yes it is expensive – cost of living a shock to us compared to our last trip here 5 years ago. You can do better by going to separate shops but I don’t really find I have the time or inclination so just go to Woolworths just as I would only go to Sainsbury’s back in the UK. I do find the way they layout things a bit odd but have got more used to it now – what I really can’t stand is the habit or ordering things by brand name particularly in chemists and health stores. If I want to find the cheapest for example, zinc supplement its very difficult.

TV

Appalling – we haven’t got Foxtel, we’re not into TV sport so didn’t seem much point. Makes you realise how good UK TV is. It means I watch less which is good I guess and I go to bed much earlier anyway.

Making Friends

I always knew this would be difficult and it has been. We started off like many others hoping to avoid turning into expats – we wanted to blend in with the locals etc, however this didn’t last long and we were at our first BE meet at the end of our first month. I think Australians come across really friendly initially but then it takes a long time to get further than hello!

What I love
  • Listening to Kookaburras – I love the sound they make always makes me want to laugh too
  • Seeing wild Koalas up really close – didn’t think we would but we have a couple of times and it’s amazing
  • Watching dolphins and whales – something I could never get bored of
  • Going out on the boat – amazing – I know not everyone can afford a boat but a small tinnie would be as good to see the views and wildlife. A kayak is next on my list.
  • Seeing a glimpse of the sea and Straddie as I drive home – it’s a beautiful sight and again will cheer me up on my down days.
  • Taking our puppy for walks along Point Halloran – its so beautiful.

What's Next

We’re here to stay for the next few years and are really happy, however I think there is still a way to go – I still think I am at the stage where if I could go back in time to the start of the process I am not 100 percent sure I would do it all over again!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our First Year in Redlands - Brisbane Bayside

Lovely post, we have friends in Thornlands and they love it they are sorta up near Mount cotton, bought an old house and done it up and love living there.

Good on yer, they keep asking us to move back.....maybe one day

Kath
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:18 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
Deciding where to live

We had decided on the Brisbane area and needed to be commuting distance to the CBD. We decided that Bayside (Birkdale – Mount Cotton) suited us most – wanted a boat so needed to be near the sea. We didn’t mind which suburb as they are all pretty similar so it was a case of finding the right house.

Finding a rental

It took us 8 days to get a rental – less than that really as the first week we were trying to decide where to live. There are lots of scare stories but in our case we knew we would only be renting for a short time so were not looking for perfect, just clean and in a good location. We rented in Wellington Point , had a great rental agent and no problems in re-letting it after only 4 months.

Buying a House

We came with quite a bit of equity– the only real problem was deciding what kind of place to buy – torn between very close to sea or acreage – in the end after noticing how noisy the locals could be and not liking how overlooked the new houses were we decided on what they call mini-acreage. Then the problem was finding available places for sale – the house we bought we found by chance when exploring all the local roads – its perfect for us, we feel like we’re in the middle of nowhere but only 5 mins from both Cleveland and Victoria Point. Probably as a family the best thing about the house is the neighbours – there are kids the same age as mine and they play together all the time we are home.

Work

Searching through the jobs ads I realised that despite having much higher level post-16 teaching qualifications to get work here getting a Certificate IV in Training and Assessing would be a great help. I booked on a 10 week one day a week course at the local TAFE. I met a really good bunch of people, learned some useful info and terminology and got the first job I applied for at the Southbank Institute of Technology.

Ian is an Oracle developer and we were worried that he wouldn’t be able to find work here. However it didn’t take long at all and he has been working since November. It’s not the best role he has ever had but I think its important to take anything to get some Australian experience on your CV and this will help when you start looking for your next job.

Schools

We got here and really couldn’t decide what to do about the schools – in the end we were staying with people who both had degrees and were successful so we decided to take their advice! Our children go to a private Catholic school and I think we made the right choice despite not being Catholics. Its central location meant we weren’t restricted to where we bought a house and it’s a very warm and caring school.

On the whole I think the schools here are great, much more sport, public speaking and fun than in the UK, however my very academic child has found the maths here way behind what she was doing in the UK. This has meant we are moving her to a different school next year where she will hopefully find the work a bit more challenging. My son has mild learning difficulties and he has had a lot of support at the school so far.

Weather

Rain rain and more rain! It started raining the day after we arrived and with the exception of two longish dry periods in July and May it seems to have rained quite a fair bit. Not at all what we were expecting after all the talk of drought, but good as it meant less to worry about and probably made our first summer a lot more bearable. We are really glad we chose to be this close to the coast – there is always a breeze in the afternoons and it gets noticeably more humid when you are in the CBD.

Shopping

Well you can get what you need here but I never feel enthusiastic here about a day out clothes shopping. Yes I was a Next fan but also liked Primark, Gap, M&S, BHS, Asda and Monsoon. I have bought things from Meyer, Crossroads, Target and Kmart and Rockmans but struggled a bit and will be taking an empty suitcase back to the UK when I go back for a holiday. Despite what you might read on BE about fashion sense in Qld in Bayside people are on the most part very smart and well dressed.

The food shopping is fine, yes it is expensive – cost of living a shock to us compared to our last trip here 5 years ago. You can do better by going to separate shops but I don’t really find I have the time or inclination so just go to Woolworths just as I would only go to Sainsbury’s back in the UK. I do find the way they layout things a bit odd but have got more used to it now – what I really can’t stand is the habit or ordering things by brand name particularly in chemists and health stores. If I want to find the cheapest for example, zinc supplement its very difficult.

TV

Appalling – we haven’t got Foxtel, we’re not into TV sport so didn’t seem much point. Makes you realise how good UK TV is. It means I watch less which is good I guess and I go to bed much earlier anyway.

Making Friends

I always knew this would be difficult and it has been. We started off like many others hoping to avoid turning into expats – we wanted to blend in with the locals etc, however this didn’t last long and we were at our first BE meet at the end of our first month. I think Australians come across really friendly initially but then it takes a long time to get further than hello!

What I love
  • Listening to Kookaburras – I love the sound they make always makes me want to laugh too
  • Seeing wild Koalas up really close – didn’t think we would but we have a couple of times and it’s amazing
  • Going out on the boat – amazing – I know not everyone can afford a boat but a small tinnie would be as good to see the views and wildlife. A kayak is next on my list.
  • Seeing a glimpse of the sea and Straddie as I drive home – it’s a beautiful sight and again will cheer me up on my down days.

What's Next

We’re here to stay for the next few years and are really happy, however I think there is still a way to go – I still think I am at the stage where if I could go back in time to the start of the process I am not 100 percent sure I would do it all over again!

Nice post, I live pretty close on the brikdale border and love the area, close to cleveland and wellington point..

I am enjoying it too !
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

That was a really interesting read & very balanced.
Congrats on your first year!
K sent
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Good intersesting post and sums it all up good, you are spot on with the T.V its real bad.
Suzanne
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

hi

nice to hear your story, you must be quite near us, we are in the "wine region" of thornlands, agree with all your comments, food is expensive but then i guess its going up everywhere,
hope it continues to go well

beth
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bethandneil
hi

nice to hear your story, you must be quite near us, we are in the "wine region" of thornlands,
That covers a lot of ground, from a cabernet to a spatlese (one side of the street sign was once spatless)

WW
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

slinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
Deciding where to live

Finding a rental

Buying a House

Work

Schools

Weather

Shopping

TV

Making Friends

What I love

What's Next

Hi, we have been in Cleveland, Bayside for 2 months and say how true are your observations are and correct the information is.

My hubby is settled into his new job in the CBD although is leaving for work at 5:45 in the morning, so by 9pm he has pretty much had it...
The train is convenient but very slow for such a geographically short journey from Cleveland to CBD, so he is investigating selling the 2nd car and buying a motorbike.

Our children have settled into Ormiston State school, our eldest will go to Ormiston college in Jan, we have found a similar issue with the difference in Maths curriculum. I have noticed the schools do concentrate on confidence building skills and basics like clear, ledgable handwriting, (a skill that is not valued in UK Primaries these days from our experience). Although the state school is very resource poor compared to the UK, I think my kids teachers are more enthusastic about their jobs than our UK equivalents and because they are resource poor, they are very creative about how they do use 'the resources they have and free resources available', something our UK schools could learn from, thus reducing the need for so many cake sales and school fayres to raise pta funds in the uk.
At the moment I am doing extra maths with my kids, but really there is little point if we are planning on staying in Oz, because they will need to align to the curriculum at some point. I am happy for the kids to use their energies making new friends and learning the Oz school routines.

I am really frustrated by this whole 'buying books, tissues, etc' for school though. The local newagent must rub his hands with glee every December. I haven't got a problem with buying the stuff, I have got an issue with paying retail, and everyone trotting along individually to get it. Why the Queensland government can't by this stuff wholesale and we buy it from the school I really don't know. Its crazy, think of the saving in fuel alone.

Anyway a minor point I must question Anna Bligh about, (who I have to say I am really impressed with so far, from what I have seen of her), I know she is fighting for a national rather than queensland school curriculum.

Enough of me...would love to hear from anyone living in Bayside area with kids (particularly girls). Ours are 7 and 9 and very sociable, as are we, so we extend the number of people we know here to double figures!

Finally apologies if this message isn't posted in the right way or biased/unbiased enough (i've read some of the harsh comments from some), I'm new to the whole online communities thing.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:09 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bethandneil
hi

nice to hear your story, you must be quite near us, we are in the "wine region" of thornlands, agree with all your comments, food is expensive but then i guess its going up everywhere,
hope it continues to go well

beth
Not far - on other side of Ziegenfuss
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slinkymalinky
Hi, we have been in Cleveland, Bayside for 2 months and say how true are your observations are and correct the information is. ......

Finally apologies if this message isn't posted in the right way or biased/unbiased enough (i've read some of the harsh comments from some), I'm new to the whole online communities thing.
Welcome to BE. Fabulous first post - you did well!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:23 am
Just enjoying being here

I am really frustrated by this whole 'buying books, tissues, etc' for school though. The local newagent must rub his hands with glee every December. I haven't got a problem with buying the stuff, I have got an issue with paying retail, and everyone trotting along individually to get it. Why the Queensland government can't by this stuff wholesale and we buy it from the school I really don't know. Its crazy, think of the saving in fuel alone.

I agree - at least for this year we were able to order and collect at school!

Enough of me...would love to hear from anyone living in Bayside area with kids (particularly girls). Ours are 7 and 9 and very sociable, as are we, so we extend the number of people we know here to double figures!
We should try and get together - it looks like our girls will be starting Ormiston College at the same time in January! I also have a 7 year old but he's a boy! Anyway I'll pm you (send you a private message) - although I am not sure you can access pm's until you have posted 3 times so just try replying a couple of times on here and you should be ok!

Rebecca
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Wolfman is on a distinguished road

Hi, we have been in Cleveland, Bayside for 2 months and say how true are your observations are and correct the information is.

My hubby is settled into his new job in the CBD although is leaving for work at 5:45 in the morning, so by 9pm he has pretty much had it...
The train is convenient but very slow for such a geographically short journey from Cleveland to CBD, so he is investigating selling the 2nd car and buying a motorbike.

Hi, we've been here 3months and are renting in Thornlands, ideally we would like to be in Cleveland as kids are in school & when we eventually sell house in uk :curse:thats where we will look to buy, we love the area but hate renting.
OH travels to Wacol every day on motorbike, for same reasons yours is thinking of buying one. He is now looking to sell it as he says the roads are sh*te for bikers here, although it may be the route he takes. Contemplating buying a car with LPG or one that could be converted. If you want to trade??
Serioulsy, would love to meet up for cuppa, to share experiences as we are on similar timeline. I haven't met anyone with girls my youngests age yet, so that would be nice for her. PM or email me to meet up anytime, I'm not working at the moment so around at some point most days.
I have 3 kids, boy 17 & 2 girls 13 & 9.