Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Our First year In Adelaide! (Bit of a long one!)

Our First year In Adelaide! (Bit of a long one!)

Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice
Default Re: Our First year In Adelaide! (Bit of a long one!)

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Well here you go!

Our two year anniversary is next Saturday and reading the post I wrote this time last year seems that the last 12 months have honestly flown by! We have been through many situations, which I would like to think have made us stronger better people, some have given us a totally new view on life in general!

We set up a company this time last year and the last 12 months have gone really well, a month ago we moved into bigger better premises and whilst everyone is shouting about the credit crunch we hope to be able to glide through the storm without to much hassle! Needless to say on the business side of things we have found alot of things very frustrating here in Oz!

The new carvan has just been invaluable, believe me when I say I didnt do the camping thing in any way shape or form in the UK and even arriving here in Oz the thought of snakes, spiders etc etc put me off even more, but being talked into buy the Caravan is probably one of the best decisions we made! We all love it and getting away for a long weekend seeing areas of South Australia we would never probably get to see without the caravan is just great! In summer months we are away at least one weekend a month. Over the christmas period we were away 3 times to some great places, with our friends and all had a great time! Caravaning has made some great memories for us over the last 12 months.

School wise the kids have both been through a rocky few months, we found ourselves in the middle of a situation that had been started years before we arrived, as innocent arrivals we got caught in the middle. We tried to distance ourselves but various situations later we decided to remove both kids and placed them into the local Primary School, needless to say we should of done that months ago, as both kids are just flying, both love their new school, so despite many sleepless nights worrying about doing the right thing it all worked out good in the end!

We have also seen the arrival of Facebook in our family and that has been a brilliant way of keeping in touch with friends here in Oz and those back in the UK, many UK friends were starting to "slip away" but with Facebook we have managed to maintain contact! We also had our first funeral while here in Oz, with my Grandfather passing away a few months ago, it was hard to deal with not being there! We havn't had many people visiting from the UK, infact those we thought would be here in a flash havnt been, but I guess we know life move on!

Before Christmas saw my husband become suddenly very sick, which went on for a few weeks, after several tests, it was time to test for the big one all his symptoms were pointing towards cancer! This was the worst time in our lives waiting for the results, they finally came on 19th December and we were soooooo delighted that they come back negative!! My husband made a full recovery and to this day doctors and us are left wondering what it was that had made him so terribly ill!

To those reading this and wondering what is install for them, our view was always that of lets give it a try for 2 years if we hate it we will come home, well we are just about to hit that 2 year mark and we have no intention of returning to the UK, infact having priced a holiday back to England have even decided that we wont be doing that either!

Life here in Australia is not for everyone, infact I commented on friends in my one year post that hated it here, and have now returned to the UK only to wish they had stayed here in Oz, will they come back who knows, they had the opportunity didnt make the most of it and in my opinion maybe gave up to easily!

My kids have surprised me so many times here in Oz, they are so adaptable in so many situations, they just get on with it with no pre-conceived ideas, I guess we could learn alot from them!! As for us who knows whats in store for us as a family over the next 12 months but fingers crossed this time next year will see us still smiling!

Good luck to everyone here, or on the journey to here, life is what you make it, so smile and hold on for the ride!!
Another brilliant post! Thanks for the update and I am so glad your husband is well and that you're all enjoying your new life!