Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Our First year In Adelaide! (Bit of a long one!)

Our First year In Adelaide! (Bit of a long one!)

Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:27 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Our First year In Adelaide! (Bit of a long one!)

Originally Posted by s/nurse
'My Nan always said to beware of the first person that rushes to be your friend in a new situation, and that has been very true, as our only bad experience has been meeting that "first" person on arrival, but in a way I am thankful for that experience as it made us make sure we were more selective with our friendships and now we have a fantastic bunch of mates.'

Your Nan was so right!!!!!! We had the same experience and are all the more wiser for it.
Congrats on your first year
jacqui

Seeing we both from Adelaide, probably the same person!!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:56 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

I wonder why the brits are attracted to Hallett Cove... it is quite a soulless place with graffiti on par with anything ive seen anywhere.
Id be happy to be educated!!!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Seeing we both from Adelaide, probably the same person!!
Well that would be a coincidence
jacqui
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:40 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cufc
I wonder why the brits are attracted to Hallett Cove... it is quite a soulless place with graffiti on par with anything ive seen anywhere.
Id be happy to be educated!!!
So would I as I live miles away from Hallett Cove!! Not to sure the point you are trying to make!!
Old May 25th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Summer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond repute

Well yesterday was the official anniversary of a year in Adelaide, but to much celebrating & drinking going on meant that the thread would of made no sense at all!!

We cant believe that a year has gone past already, and we have achieved so much as a family, I wont bore you all with the finer details and much has been documented on here but needless to say we look back on the last few months and see what we have achieved as a family and re-instates that moving here was the best thing we ever did!

As I always say to mates here in Oz and mates in the UK, we were happy with our lives in the UK, nice area, nice house, nice schools, and brilliant mates, but there was something missing, that made us both want a bit more out of life! I couldnt of told you what it was 12 months ago and to be honest I cant tell you what it is now, but we are so much happier here in Oz, with so many more opportunities for the whole family available!

It hasnt been easy at times all the way from arrival to here, and we had set ourselves some goals along the way, but the goals we wanted to achieve over a 2-3 year period we have achieved within a 12 month period, something we would never of been able to do in the UK!

My husband has taken the longest to settle out of all of us and that does seem strange as it was always him that wanted to come and me that said no for many years, but he has finally settled into his new life and he regularly says he wouldnt return to live in the UK now!

We were talking the other day and if we had stayed in the UK we would probably of just plodded on the last 12 months and more than likely been happy but they call Australia the land of opportunity and it certainly has been for us! Kids are both settled in really good schools, we have a lovely house with so much here, a very valuable pool on these hot days we have a fantastic new caravan which we have already had so much fun in exploring our new country, and finally we bought a company, met a whole heap of great new friends both English and Aussie, and now lead a much more sociable, friendly, de-stressed easy fun life!!

We have achieved even more than this, but it starts looking like a "Oh look at us and what we have type thread" and for those that know us we are sooooo not like that!! Needless to say we have done extreamly well for ourselves, far greater than would of been achieved in the UK!

My Nan always said to beware of the first person that rushes to be your friend in a new situation, and that has been very true, as our only bad experience has been meeting that "first" person on arrival, but in a way I am thankful for that experience as it made us make sure we were more selective with our friendships and now we have a fantastic bunch of mates.

I do have friends here that hate it and want to return to the UK, and I will always say that in this life to give something a go rather than let an opportunity go by you is far better, but to move to Australia without doing any research I find amazing, this and other sites like it are very valuable sources of information when you are still at the planning stage and also when you first arrive, but again it still amazes me that people take everything taken on here as 100% absolute truth reading some threads there are many that stretch the truth just a little!!

When we were still in the UK and I would come on here and read threads about Adelaide, people really slagging it off and it would really worry me, but digging a bit deaper they had never even been to Adelaide and had simply read someone elses comment and copied it, so what I am trying to say is dont believe everything before you get here, I have read many threads that have been stretched just a little!!

We love the lifestyle here, everything is on our door step, 20 mins into the city (if all the traffic lights stay green!!!) 20 mins to the beach, 5 mins into the country, huge entertainment centre, stuff on for the families every weekend everything is accessable. I do miss Next (thank god for UK Ebay) and also Tesco (NEVER thought I would say that, but it is the variety I think) but I would never in a million years swap everything we have here to return to the UK!

I hope this email helps someone I used to love reading others threads, but anyway I have rambled on for long enough, here is to the next 12 months being more of the same for us and for all those still here and those still to arrive!!
What a great and honest post. I really appreciate your points when explaining about all the other posts about life in OZ. We are also moving to Adelaide and just like you were, I am slightly apprehensive of what the future will bring. But reading your story was very insperational. Hope you guys have a wonderful life.
Regards
Eda
Old May 26th 2008, 7:39 am
Just Joined

rizzo will become famous soon enough

Well yesterday was the official anniversary of a year in Adelaide, but to much celebrating & drinking going on meant that the thread would of made no sense at all!!

We cant believe that a year has gone past already, and we have achieved so much as a family, I wont bore you all with the finer details and much has been documented on here but needless to say we look back on the last few months and see what we have achieved as a family and re-instates that moving here was the best thing we ever did!

As I always say to mates here in Oz and mates in the UK, we were happy with our lives in the UK, nice area, nice house, nice schools, and brilliant mates, but there was something missing, that made us both want a bit more out of life! I couldnt of told you what it was 12 months ago and to be honest I cant tell you what it is now, but we are so much happier here in Oz, with so many more opportunities for the whole family available!

It hasnt been easy at times all the way from arrival to here, and we had set ourselves some goals along the way, but the goals we wanted to achieve over a 2-3 year period we have achieved within a 12 month period, something we would never of been able to do in the UK!

My husband has taken the longest to settle out of all of us and that does seem strange as it was always him that wanted to come and me that said no for many years, but he has finally settled into his new life and he regularly says he wouldnt return to live in the UK now!

We were talking the other day and if we had stayed in the UK we would probably of just plodded on the last 12 months and more than likely been happy but they call Australia the land of opportunity and it certainly has been for us! Kids are both settled in really good schools, we have a lovely house with so much here, a very valuable pool on these hot days we have a fantastic new caravan which we have already had so much fun in exploring our new country, and finally we bought a company, met a whole heap of great new friends both English and Aussie, and now lead a much more sociable, friendly, de-stressed easy fun life!!

We have achieved even more than this, but it starts looking like a "Oh look at us and what we have type thread" and for those that know us we are sooooo not like that!! Needless to say we have done extreamly well for ourselves, far greater than would of been achieved in the UK!

My Nan always said to beware of the first person that rushes to be your friend in a new situation, and that has been very true, as our only bad experience has been meeting that "first" person on arrival, but in a way I am thankful for that experience as it made us make sure we were more selective with our friendships and now we have a fantastic bunch of mates.

I do have friends here that hate it and want to return to the UK, and I will always say that in this life to give something a go rather than let an opportunity go by you is far better, but to move to Australia without doing any research I find amazing, this and other sites like it are very valuable sources of information when you are still at the planning stage and also when you first arrive, but again it still amazes me that people take everything taken on here as 100% absolute truth reading some threads there are many that stretch the truth just a little!!

When we were still in the UK and I would come on here and read threads about Adelaide, people really slagging it off and it would really worry me, but digging a bit deaper they had never even been to Adelaide and had simply read someone elses comment and copied it, so what I am trying to say is dont believe everything before you get here, I have read many threads that have been stretched just a little!!

We love the lifestyle here, everything is on our door step, 20 mins into the city (if all the traffic lights stay green!!!) 20 mins to the beach, 5 mins into the country, huge entertainment centre, stuff on for the families every weekend everything is accessable. I do miss Next (thank god for UK Ebay) and also Tesco (NEVER thought I would say that, but it is the variety I think) but I would never in a million years swap everything we have here to return to the UK!

I hope this email helps someone I used to love reading others threads, but anyway I have rambled on for long enough, here is to the next 12 months being more of the same for us and for all those still here and those still to arrive!!
We are looking to come across to Adelaide as OH was originally from there and is where his mum lives (north Haven) and Dad (Gawler). We are struggling to find an area to settle in and were looking at Hallet cove/Happy Valley but after reading other comments are now not so sure. We had looked at Greenwith/Golden Grove but prices seemed quite expensive. What are the schools like in the NOrth? and which ones do you have the experience of? Your comments have made me quite excited about our impending move as I have been really nervous about whether it is the right choice or not. We are mainly doing it for the family lifestyle rather than financial reasons, although we should be able to buy a house there whereas in the South East £225k will only get you a dog kennel!!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:15 pm
A Returning Member!!

I just found this and cant believe I wrote it a year ago we now coming up to the 2 year anniversary, the last 12 months have flown by!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Maggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura about

Hi there,

This is the first time I have read this post and am glad you have come back to have a look at it. We have also got our visa and are hoping to come in the middle of June to Adelaide. When we first arrive we will be staying with friends in elizabeth until we find somewhere to rent. We have been several times to Adelaide but always thought we would settle somewhere else. Having now decided on Adelaide and with you being in one of the areas we are looking at, I wonder could you tell me what the schools and the surrounding area is like. We have a 9 year old son (currently in year 5). He currently goes to a very good catholic school in London, although a faith school is not the top priority, we just want a good school where he can thrive.

I would be really grateful for any information and words of wisdom you can offer as I have been putting off the move for over 5 years now and have finally decided that this is the right thing to do - only leaving ourselves 51/2 months to get everything in order before we leave.

Many thanks,
Mags
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:51 am
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo
Hi there,

This is the first time I have read this post and am glad you have come back to have a look at it. We have also got our visa and are hoping to come in the middle of June to Adelaide. When we first arrive we will be staying with friends in elizabeth until we find somewhere to rent. We have been several times to Adelaide but always thought we would settle somewhere else. Having now decided on Adelaide and with you being in one of the areas we are looking at, I wonder could you tell me what the schools and the surrounding area is like. We have a 9 year old son (currently in year 5). He currently goes to a very good catholic school in London, although a faith school is not the top priority, we just want a good school where he can thrive.

I would be really grateful for any information and words of wisdom you can offer as I have been putting off the move for over 5 years now and have finally decided that this is the right thing to do - only leaving ourselves 51/2 months to get everything in order before we leave.

Many thanks,
Mags
Hi Mags

Greenwith and surrounds are all nice areas to live in, Elizabeth has a not such good reputation, although some parts are very nice, I guess you need to be a little selective in where you settle there!

Schools etc there is a huge selection, depending on which faith they do after all call Adelaide the City of Churches so the religious side is here and religious schools are scattered around most neighbourhoods! There are also some excellent all boys schools in the city so I feel sure in saying you will find something within your requirements!

My daughter is 9 and with the year structure is in a year 4 class from January, she is doing exceptionally well at school and loves it here in Oz so sure your son will have no problems adapting and fitting in!

If you have been waiting 5 years I am sure you will have had many questions in your head about the move, no one can say its the right or wrong thing to do I think you have to just go with your instinct on that one and I guess our thoughts were always that we would rather try and come back if necessary than never try and therefore never know!

Top tips are research as much as you can then you narrow down the shocks! Come with an open mind and a want to make it work!

Hope that helps in someway?!?!?!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice

I just found this and cant believe I wrote it a year ago we now coming up to the 2 year anniversary, the last 12 months have flown by!!
Hi I remember reading your post a year ago when we had no visa and in the cold wet and gloomy UK. Now a year later we are in hot and sunny Adelaide. Cool
Claire
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

im on my way il be there in 3 months hopefully lol see you there
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Maggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura about

Hi there, thanks for the advice. Our friend lives in Elizabeth and we will be staying with her for a few weeks until we actually find somewhere else to live. We are not too keen on the area of Elizabeth so would not really consider settling there. We have only ever been around the northern suburbs, apart from trips to Glenelg. My son is in year 5 at the moment and will be 10 in July so not sure where that would leave him in terms of school years over there; it is really confusing. I have read some posts on school years but still can't get my head around it.

We are really surprised at how the property prices have increased over the last couple of years but will just be renting when we get there as we will not sell our property in the UK for a couple of years. We do like the idea of Greenwith and the surrounding area and are glad that there are some good schools in the area, the biggest worry is how your children will settle in.

I can't believe how much there is to do before we go; my husband is a typical man and when I gave him the 4 page list of things to do before you go he had the grace to look ashamed and say that he thought it would be just a matter of packing a bag and going!!!!

Thanks again for your help.
Mags
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

We'd love to have another update on your 2 year anniversary!!!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]

Fantastic posting -most positive.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:17 am
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by natalieml
We'd love to have another update on your 2 year anniversary!!!
Well here you go!

Our two year anniversary is next Saturday and reading the post I wrote this time last year seems that the last 12 months have honestly flown by! We have been through many situations, which I would like to think have made us stronger better people, some have given us a totally new view on life in general!

We set up a company this time last year and the last 12 months have gone really well, a month ago we moved into bigger better premises and whilst everyone is shouting about the credit crunch we hope to be able to glide through the storm without to much hassle! Needless to say on the business side of things we have found alot of things very frustrating here in Oz!

The new carvan has just been invaluable, believe me when I say I didnt do the camping thing in any way shape or form in the UK and even arriving here in Oz the thought of snakes, spiders etc etc put me off even more, but being talked into buy the Caravan is probably one of the best decisions we made! We all love it and getting away for a long weekend seeing areas of South Australia we would never probably get to see without the caravan is just great! In summer months we are away at least one weekend a month. Over the christmas period we were away 3 times to some great places, with our friends and all had a great time! Caravaning has made some great memories for us over the last 12 months.

School wise the kids have both been through a rocky few months, we found ourselves in the middle of a situation that had been started years before we arrived, as innocent arrivals we got caught in the middle. We tried to distance ourselves but various situations later we decided to remove both kids and placed them into the local Primary School, needless to say we should of done that months ago, as both kids are just flying, both love their new school, so despite many sleepless nights worrying about doing the right thing it all worked out good in the end!

We have also seen the arrival of Facebook in our family and that has been a brilliant way of keeping in touch with friends here in Oz and those back in the UK, many UK friends were starting to "slip away" but with Facebook we have managed to maintain contact! We also had our first funeral while here in Oz, with my Grandfather passing away a few months ago, it was hard to deal with not being there! We havn't had many people visiting from the UK, infact those we thought would be here in a flash havnt been, but I guess we know life move on!

Before Christmas saw my husband become suddenly very sick, which went on for a few weeks, after several tests, it was time to test for the big one all his symptoms were pointing towards cancer! This was the worst time in our lives waiting for the results, they finally came on 19th December and we were soooooo delighted that they come back negative!! My husband made a full recovery and to this day doctors and us are left wondering what it was that had made him so terribly ill!

To those reading this and wondering what is install for them, our view was always that of lets give it a try for 2 years if we hate it we will come home, well we are just about to hit that 2 year mark and we have no intention of returning to the UK, infact having priced a holiday back to England have even decided that we wont be doing that either!

Life here in Australia is not for everyone, infact I commented on friends in my one year post that hated it here, and have now returned to the UK only to wish they had stayed here in Oz, will they come back who knows, they had the opportunity didnt make the most of it and in my opinion maybe gave up to easily!

My kids have surprised me so many times here in Oz, they are so adaptable in so many situations, they just get on with it with no pre-conceived ideas, I guess we could learn alot from them!! As for us who knows whats in store for us as a family over the next 12 months but fingers crossed this time next year will see us still smiling!

Good luck to everyone here, or on the journey to here, life is what you make it, so smile and hold on for the ride!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.