Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Our first weeks in Brissy

Our first weeks in Brissy

Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:04 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Our first weeks in Brissy

We arrived in Brisbane on 4th June at about 7.30pm - all very tired but the flights had gone as well as they could (flew with Singapore who are always good) - hadn't really worked out how we were going to xfr all our luggage to our airport hotel but fortunately they had maxi taxis which could fit the 4 of us and all our stuff in. Got to the hotel - our hire car (free as we'd bought a car but it wasn't ready in time) was there ready and waiting. Went straight to bed and managed to get enough sleep to keep going.

The next day we headed off to our first 2 week rental in Burbank - we stayed at Prout Cottage which was fantastic and the owners were so helpful and friendly - unfortunately its so popular we could only get 2 weeks there. We were all a bit stunned really with all the planning etc to get there we found ourselves just not knowing where to start - with no jobs we werent tied to an area but had decided from the uK that Bayside looked as though it would suit us. The first thing we bought was the UBD map (Refidex or something) which is fantastic and for me better than a sat nav. After a quick drive around on the first day we realised that really there wasn't much difference between the suburbs - Cleveland, Ormiston, Birkdale etc are all really like one area.

The weather was a bit of a shock - it started raining on our second day (this obviously was a good sign given the drought) so while we were jet lagged and it was raining we just wandered around shopping centres. The rain was great but the cold wind that followed wasn't so great and my suitcase of summery clothes pretty useless - just as well I had 2 pairs of jeans and a fleece.

We did spend one day driving around North Brisbane - I had liked the look of Albany Creek and wanted to see North Lakes for myself. I actually really liked Albany Creek and Strathpine but we decided as everwhere seemed nice we would stick with our first choice and find a rental in Bayside.

I suddenly decided to panic about schools - it hadn't worried me much until we got to Oz but once there I wanted to make sure we found a good one but realised we knew nothing about the schools or how to decide if one was good or not. Fortunately a school was recommended to us and we had a look around - the children loved it instantly as did we - however it was a catholic school and we're not so we knew we might not get a place. We had to meet the priest as well as the headteacher and then had to wait a couple of days to find out if we got places - at this stage we didn't have anywhere to live but it meant we could narrow our search down to somewhere driving distance to the school.

The first real estate agent we went to didn't have any rentals so that was a good start! - but we went to every agent in all the suburbs and managed to get a reasonable list. We then started to do some drive bys and we got really depressed as it became spot the rental - drive down a nice road full of nice houses and the rental was the one with the overgrown garden and looking like a dump. It became obvious that we needed to up our budget by $100 a week to get something decent and happily we have found a lovely rental with a pool. We were the only ones looking at it (it actually wasn't available for 3 weeks which was ok for us as we had temporary accom booked)and put our application in - none of the id we took with us from the UK was acceptable - basically our passports and a couple of references from people in Oz (that I had known for only a few days) were acceptable + on offer to pay 3 months rent upfront.

Shortly after having the rental application accepted we got confirmation of school places which was great - we could finally relax. We had to move to Sandgate for a couple of weeks and decided to treat it as a holiday - however more rain meant more shopping centres! Fortunately we discovered the Westfield centre at Chermside - fantastic place for shopaholics like me - in general we have been to several Westfields and although I know I will miss Next I have actually been happy with the shops here (I even like the supermarkets)

We did also have some great weather for days out - went to Australia Zoo, MovieWorld, Broadbeach on the GC, Mooloolaba, Bribie Island, Redcliffe etc - although we were cold in the evenings it was still amazing to think that it was the middle of winter but we could have so much sun. The kids loved the parks everywhere - all free and toilets and no vandalism - a few bits of graffiti here and there but not bad.

When we returned to south Bayside we realised that we really had chosen the right place to settle - it felt like home and although its early days we're really happy and just can't imagine going back. The kids have been at school 2 days and loving it so far. We're still waiting for our container to arrive but have bought a fridge, tv, washing machine, mattresses to sleep on and on outdoor table + chairs which are our indoor ones for a while. Now we're having a couple of weeks with the kids at school before we start looking for jobs.

Anyway - I've waffled on enough and used up my library Internet time so off to pick the kids up.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:30 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our first weeks in Brissy

That's not too bad a start. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with the job hunt

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
We arrived in Brisbane on 4th June at about 7.30pm - all very tired but the flights had gone as well as they could (flew with Singapore who are always good) - hadn't really worked out how we were going to xfr all our luggage to our airport hotel but fortunately they had maxi taxis which could fit the 4 of us and all our stuff in. Got to the hotel - our hire car (free as we'd bought a car but it wasn't ready in time) was there ready and waiting. Went straight to bed and managed to get enough sleep to keep going.

The next day we headed off to our first 2 week rental in Burbank - we stayed at Prout Cottage which was fantastic and the owners were so helpful and friendly - unfortunately its so popular we could only get 2 weeks there. We were all a bit stunned really with all the planning etc to get there we found ourselves just not knowing where to start - with no jobs we werent tied to an area but had decided from the uK that Bayside looked as though it would suit us. The first thing we bought was the UBD map (Refidex or something) which is fantastic and for me better than a sat nav. After a quick drive around on the first day we realised that really there wasn't much difference between the suburbs - Cleveland, Ormiston, Birkdale etc are all really like one area.

The weather was a bit of a shock - it started raining on our second day (this obviously was a good sign given the drought) so while we were jet lagged and it was raining we just wandered around shopping centres. The rain was great but the cold wind that followed wasn't so great and my suitcase of summery clothes pretty useless - just as well I had 2 pairs of jeans and a fleece.

We did spend one day driving around North Brisbane - I had liked the look of Albany Creek and wanted to see North Lakes for myself. I actually really liked Albany Creek and Strathpine but we decided as everwhere seemed nice we would stick with our first choice and find a rental in Bayside.

I suddenly decided to panic about schools - it hadn't worried me much until we got to Oz but once there I wanted to make sure we found a good one but realised we knew nothing about the schools or how to decide if one was good or not. Fortunately a school was recommended to us and we had a look around - the children loved it instantly as did we - however it was a catholic school and we're not so we knew we might not get a place. We had to meet the priest as well as the headteacher and then had to wait a couple of days to find out if we got places - at this stage we didn't have anywhere to live but it meant we could narrow our search down to somewhere driving distance to the school.

The first real estate agent we went to didn't have any rentals so that was a good start! - but we went to every agent in all the suburbs and managed to get a reasonable list. We then started to do some drive bys and we got really depressed as it became spot the rental - drive down a nice road full of nice houses and the rental was the one with the overgrown garden and looking like a dump. It became obvious that we needed to up our budget by $100 a week to get something decent and happily we have found a lovely rental with a pool. We were the only ones looking at it (it actually wasn't available for 3 weeks which was ok for us as we had temporary accom booked)and put our application in - none of the id we took with us from the UK was acceptable - basically our passports and a couple of references from people in Oz (that I had known for only a few days) were acceptable + on offer to pay 3 months rent upfront.

Shortly after having the rental application accepted we got confirmation of school places which was great - we could finally relax. We had to move to Sandgate for a couple of weeks and decided to treat it as a holiday - however more rain meant more shopping centres! Fortunately we discovered the Westfield centre at Chermside - fantastic place for shopaholics like me - in general we have been to several Westfields and although I know I will miss Next I have actually been happy with the shops here (I even like the supermarkets)

We did also have some great weather for days out - went to Australia Zoo, MovieWorld, Broadbeach on the GC, Mooloolaba, Bribie Island, Redcliffe etc - although we were cold in the evenings it was still amazing to think that it was the middle of winter but we could have so much sun. The kids loved the parks everywhere - all free and toilets and no vandalism - a few bits of graffiti here and there but not bad.

When we returned to south Bayside we realised that we really had chosen the right place to settle - it felt like home and although its early days we're really happy and just can't imagine going back. The kids have been at school 2 days and loving it so far. We're still waiting for our container to arrive but have bought a fridge, tv, washing machine, mattresses to sleep on and on outdoor table + chairs which are our indoor ones for a while. Now we're having a couple of weeks with the kids at school before we start looking for jobs.

Anyway - I've waffled on enough and used up my library Internet time so off to pick the kids up.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

hi rebnatoli

Glad you're settling in.
Where in the bayside are you?
We are in Victoria point.
occassionally there are meet ups at the Grand View Hotel in Cleveland, so you'll have to try and come along to one of those. Hope all goes well with the job hunting

Heather
Old Jul 12th 2007, 8:25 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Really glad you are settling in ok.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:08 am
Going going.........

Little miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to allLittle miss reub is a name known to all

Great news that you are enjoying yourselves, keep us posted with your updates
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:16 pm
Marie

Celtic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the roughCeltic Roses is a jewel in the rough

Great post, thanks for the information, we are also moving to Brisbane whenever our house sells and like you don't know where to start with suburbs, schools etc., will milk all info I can get on that from you when you have time.
Marie
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

What a lovely post, good luck with your job hunting, hope your new lives continue to be happy ones
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

sarahntonygoingtooz is on a distinguished road

Hope everything carries on so well. Sounds like everything is going so well, good luck with the job hunting!!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:33 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Sounds like you are settling very well, good luck with everything.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Jamiesmyname is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarahntonygoingtooz
Hope everything carries on so well. Sounds like everything is going so well, good luck with the job hunting!!
So glad all is going well for you, its suprising how much needs to get sorted. Well done + Good luck
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

hey we live in cleveland, if you feel like catching up about 2 mins from yhe coles express, just off bloomfield st
keep in touch
ian
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:42 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

rebnatoli other half.... Good news the container arrives tomorrow. Hopefully no breakages, and that it fits in our rental. Got stung for $370 in quarantine fees.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:59 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

lol you hit queensland the same day as us ... that flippin rain was something else wasnt it!??

we are back in the uk now as our trip was a holiday/recce, but just wanted to say good luck with it; bayside is lovely, we walked from mangrove walk in wynnum down past the marina in manly ... fab

good luck,
sue x
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

loubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really niceloubylou1 is just really nice

hiya, we are thinking of maybe bayside, and it sounds cool...how old are your kids and which school are they at, we have a 7. 6 and 2 year old so will be looking primary at the mo.......hopw they job hunting is going ok...loux
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a fab start to your new life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.