Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Our 7 months in Oz :) Long beware!!!!!!!!!!

Our 7 months in Oz :) Long beware!!!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Our 7 months in Oz :) Long beware!!!!!!!!!!

Well where do i start,
A family of six Hubby me and four girls,14,12,9 and 3 decided to emigrate to oz.Crazy idea
as we had never even visited the country. Ah but what the hell,you only live once.

After failing our first TRA we passed the 2nd ,put our visa app in, got our meds eventually( a bit of a nightmare with our 3 yr old ) And finally we got our visas
We had a fancy dress leaving party on a stinking hot night,we had over 20 teenagers and about 15 12 yr olds as well family and friends and they were all brill(a very tearfull night)but we are glad we had it. It was a good night had by all.

Aug 19th the day we fly,we still had friends coming round to say their final goodbyes,we had rellies come with us to the airport as well.Tears and stress as i forgot my hand luggage bag and my bruv had to go back to Cov to get it Bless him .
We flew with Emirates via Dubai, Flight was good and they were great wth the kids.
Arrived in Perth at 5.30,went outside after six and it was bloody freezing,place was deserted,collected our rental car and drove to the northern suburbs where we endied up in Connolly(a nice suburb)We were met by a bloke who was english,had obviously been drinking and was only interested in his bond money,when we said we would get him the remainder the next day he was a bit off,we asked if you get alot of creepys and he said yeah loads (which scared the kids )When we asked if any shops were open he said this is wa(wait awhile).So after a long flight we were all back in the car looking for some supplies not knowing where to go.So that was a good start lol.
Spent 2 weeks looking at schools ,suburbs, and getting oh ajob,hes a mechanic and he got 2 job offers.We really liked Perth.

After two weeks in Wa we flew over to Brisbane to check it out.Got a car rental which we later found that it had ants in it lol.
We stayed in Little Mountain nr Caloundra SC
Well my eldest who suffers from Athsma could hardly breathe,the kids were in the hottub and a giant hairy spider decided to take a walk along the side of it,even my hubs crapped himself.Found out that it was trapdoor.
We had planned to go to oz zoo as we were ten mins away but poor Steve Irwin died the next day.the kids were upset..We went to the Glod Coast,didnt really like it ,travelled up to Hervey Bay that was nice.Caloundra was nice but not many jobs for hubby around the area.So we decided to head off back to Perth,we missed the flight so i do think that Brisbane wasnt for us,when we came back to wa we felt that we had made the right decision.
we stayed in holiday acc.in Currambine this time another nice suburbtried to get the kids in school but they need a perm address.Had 2 weeks in that rental ,then another week in Duncraig,by this time we said that if we dont get accepted for a long term rental we would have to go home(as hubs couldnt keep putting off his job start date)
Some told us to look in the paper so we did and the next day we had got a house in Ocean Reef(nice 4x2 with an ocean view included in the rent lol)
On the day after we had moved in our stuff was being packed by PSS and my mil and fil.
Anyway got kids into primary and high school ,put name down for kindy.(kids had been off school for 3 months)
Met a couple of xpats some we clicked with others we didnt,thats the way it goes.
Been homesick alot,,on many a occasion i wanted to jump on a plane back home.

Our stuff arrived from the uk,we had to pay extra to clean the outside of our container,we brought over everything ,from trampoline, 2 fridgefreezers ,hubs tools,shoes, dishwasher,t,drier,tv's,golf,fishing stuff ,xmas decs all got through.

Kids are settled in school,little one goes to kindy all day twice aweek,hubs enjoys his job.
Have been to see robbie in concert and am taking the girls to see Pink.

We have been Bushdancing,that's a laugh,we've met new people.We have moved to a bigger place right next a park,kids love it.
We are not going to buy yet as we still have our house in the Uk which is currently being rented out,We will keep it for as long as we can.

Who knows what the future holds?
Jo,Martin,Emma,Lauren, Natasha and Chloe
Ps told you it was long
Old Mar 1st 2007, 6:56 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our 7 months in Oz :) Long beware!!!!!!!!!!

Great post! And no, it's not too long, I think many of us like the posts that really go into detail (we're just nosey )
Glad you are settling in, long may it continue.
Tracey
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:27 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJELNC
Well where do i start,
A family of six Hubby me and four girls,14,12,9 and 3 decided to emigrate to oz.Crazy idea
as we had never even visited the country. Ah but what the hell,you only live once.

After failing our first TRA we passed the 2nd ,put our visa app in, got our meds eventually( a bit of a nightmare with our 3 yr old ) And finally we got our visas
We had a fancy dress leaving party on a stinking hot night,we had over 20 teenagers and about 15 12 yr olds as well family and friends and they were all brill(a very tearfull night)but we are glad we had it. It was a good night had by all.

Aug 19th the day we fly,we still had friends coming round to say their final goodbyes,we had rellies come with us to the airport as well.Tears and stress as i forgot my hand luggage bag and my bruv had to go back to Cov to get it Bless him .
We flew with Emirates via Dubai, Flight was good and they were great wth the kids.
Arrived in Perth at 5.30,went outside after six and it was bloody freezing,place was deserted,collected our rental car and drove to the northern suburbs where we endied up in Connolly(a nice suburb)We were met by a bloke who was english,had obviously been drinking and was only interested in his bond money,when we said we would get him the remainder the next day he was a bit off,we asked if you get alot of creepys and he said yeah loads (which scared the kids )When we asked if any shops were open he said this is wa(wait awhile).So after a long flight we were all back in the car looking for some supplies not knowing where to go.So that was a good start lol.
Spent 2 weeks looking at schools ,suburbs, and getting oh ajob,hes a mechanic and he got 2 job offers.We really liked Perth.

After two weeks in Wa we flew over to Brisbane to check it out.Got a car rental which we later found that it had ants in it lol.
Well my eldest who suffers from Athsma could hardly breathe,the kids were in the hottub and a giant hairy spider decided to take a walk along the side of it,even my hubs crapped himself.Found out that it was trapdoor.
We had planned to go to oz zoo as we were ten mins away but poor Steve Irwin died the next day.the kids were upset..We went to the Glod Coast,didnt really like it ,travelled up to Hervey Bay that was nice.Caloundra was nice but not many jobs for hubby around the area.So we decided to head off back to Perth,we missed the flight so i do think that Brisbane wasnt for us,when we came back to wa we felt that we had made the right decision.
we stayed in holiday acc.in Currambine this time another nice suburbtried to get the kids in school but they need a perm address.Had 2 weeks in that rental ,then another week in Duncraig,by this time we said that if we dont get accepted for a long term rental we would have to go home(as hubs couldnt keep putting off his job start date)
Some told us to look in the paper so we did and the next day we had got a house in Ocean Reef(nice 4x2 with an ocean view included in the rent lol)
On the day after we had moved in our stuff was being packed by PSS and my mil and fil.
Anyway got kids into primary and high school ,put name down for kindy.(kids had been off school for 3 months)
Met a couple of xpats some we clicked with others we didnt,thats the way it goes.

Our stuff arrived from the uk,we had to pay extra to clean the outside of our container,we brought over everything ,from trampoline, 2 fridgefreezers ,hubs tools,shoes, dishwasher,t,drier,tv's,golf,fishing stuff ,xmas decs all got through.

Kids are settled in school,little one goes to kindy all day twice aweek,hubs enjoys his job.

We have been Bushdancing,that's a laugh,we've met new people.We have moved to a bigger place right next a park,kids love it.
We are not going to buy yet as we still have our house in the Uk which is currently being rented out,We will keep it for as long as we can.

Ps told you it was long
Good honest post. We have just returned form Perth after being there for 3 1/2 weeks. Looked at all the suburbs you have mentioned and we have decided on Carine which isn't that far from you. Housing was one of the biggest disappointment for me, we went to see new and old......Carine we found was pricey but we liked the older more established suburbs. The new houses were beautiful but there is no land in Carine.

Hope your happy in OR....keep us posted
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

thepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nice

Hi Jo, Martin and Girls,

We were wondering the other day what had ever happened to you all and how you were all getting on. Glad to see things are finally going well for you all. We finally have Johns visa and are heading out to brissie around the end of may/june time. Keep us posted on how you are all doing.

Tracey, John & Ryan
Old Mar 1st 2007, 12:47 pm
tedeschicat

tedeschicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thepomandozzy
Hi Jo, Martin and Girls,

We were wondering the other day what had ever happened to you all and how you were all getting on. Glad to see things are finally going well for you all. We finally have Johns visa and are heading out to brissie around the end of may/june time. Keep us posted on how you are all doing.

Tracey, John & Ryan
Hi All, We too are heading for brissi around 4th June where are you going to?
Cheryl Stephen, ellie and Harry.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

melbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant future

great post enjoyed reading it due over beg april to brisbane though!

and we are originally from coventry too - small world!

mel simon william and harriet

Last edited by melbaby; Mar 1st 2007 at 4:37 pm. Reason: can't spell
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thepomandozzy
Hi Jo, Martin and Girls,

Tracey, John & Ryan
Hiya hows things ?
Seems like a lifetime ago when we met up in ansty lol
Glad to hear john got his visa
Keep in touch
Jo,Martin and the Girls
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by melbaby
great post enjoyed reading it due over beg april to brisbane though!

and we are originally from coventry too - small world!

mel simon william and harriet
Hiya,
Where abouts in Coventry are you from?
We lived in Wyken
Speak soon
Jo
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:02 am
Just Joined

melbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant futuremelbaby has a brilliant future

hi jo

well we come from nuneaton, now in hinckley really, but my husband born and bred in bulkngton - so a cov city supporter bless him !!!

but my nan mum and gran all live bell green/ alderman green area

so i have been to wykin a few times, my brother used to play rugby and we were always everywhere!!!

speak soon

mel
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice post. Reminds me of our hectic time when we first arrived

All the best anyway guys..
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Great post. Its really interesting hearing you are getting on.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MJELNC
Well where do i start,

Ps told you it was long
Great post, you have packed alot in a short time here. We arrived in Perth on 16th August and are in Ocean Reef, after a 5 week stay in Duncraig.
So far we are enjoying it here, although christmas was very different, and
home sickness definitely crept in.
Good luck,
Sharon
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic laughed my T**** off at the Hairy spider thing lol

fab post hun

hugs a million

Lace xx
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:35 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Nice to hear from people who are doing well.

I live near wyken, too, hopefully getting a visa later this year.....

Good luck
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:45 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Nice to hear from people who are doing well.

I live near wyken, too, hopefully getting a visa later this year.....

Good luck
There seems to be alot of people leaving Cov

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.