Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Our 2 year update (from Canada to Brisbane)

Our 2 year update (from Canada to Brisbane)

Old May 19th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Re: Our 2 year update (from Canada to Brisbane)

Thanks for the insight into your journey.

Ours has been a long and winding road... We are in Melbourne at the moment but who knows where we will end up. Short of it is our journey started with Canada, direction moved to Brisbane, validated on the Gold Coast for a month, went to Nova Scotia last October and discussed going though province nomination and then ended ended up in Melbourne in March...

Early days but have to say we are still not sure what we are doing. We love it here, which shocked us both. Its very green and lots of trees (maples, oaks, gums and poplars), mountain ranges 20 mins away, coast about the same... could see us staying for a while but my heart still wants NS... thats where I want to grow old... but this part of the world is more than fine for now...

Keep us all updated with what you decide.... 2010 isn't that far away but I wish you and your family well... after all we are all here, here and now, experiencing life, where ever our journey takes us...
Old May 19th 2009, 8:48 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I've never been to Nova Scotia, I hear it's lovely in the eastern provinces. If and when we go back to Canada I want to make a point of making a trip east to see what it's like.

Hope everything works out well for you. My problem is that I think I could be equally happy all over the place, it's just a matter of figuring out what one is best.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
I've never been to Nova Scotia, I hear it's lovely in the eastern provinces. If and when we go back to Canada I want to make a point of making a trip east to see what it's like.

Hope everything works out well for you. My problem is that I think I could be equally happy all over the place, it's just a matter of figuring out what one is best.
If we were to ever go back my first choice would be Montreal since it's so much closer to the east coast. The old man doesn't know any French at all, so I think we would end up in Kingston, which is my second choice.

You really need to go camping on PEI. The kids would love the Anne of Green Gables theme park on the west coast of the island while only an hour away is the unspoiled east coast. If you ever go over let me know and I'll PM you the campground info for where we stayed when we went. Defo one of our best holidays ever.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:41 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If we were to ever go back my first choice would be Montreal since it's so much closer to the east coast. The old man doesn't know any French at all, so I think we would end up in Kingston, which is my second choice.

You really need to go camping on PEI. The kids would love the Anne of Green Gables theme park on the west coast of the island while only an hour away is the unspoiled east coast. If you ever go over let me know and I'll PM you the campground info for where we stayed when we went. Defo one of our best holidays ever.
I'll keep the camping in mind, my husband likes to go camping so when the kids are a bit older we'll probably do it more often.

Kingston is pretty nice, I grew up 45 min away in Brockville so I know the area well enough. My family is in Brockville though so that would probably pull us there. The housing is very cheap (comparitively speaking) in those areas. So that plus the family is a big pull back to Brockville.

That would be sort of funny if we ended up living that close to each other!
Old May 28th 2009, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

What a thoughtful, detailed post...thanks for sharing it.

We're about to move to Perth from Edmonton in September. We're selling the house, storing some of the furniture (selling/donating the rest), and my husband already has a job waiting for him. I'm hoping to do some P/T consulting once there as I still have two little ones to look after and my daughter will start Kindy next Feb.

We're thinking of going for a couple of years and then we'll see if we'll stay or if we'll go back to Canada. My sister-in-law lives in Perth and has been there for 13 years now. Basically, we're both just tired of the 8 months of winter and the -30 we get here in Edmonton (we had snow just last week and it's the end of May). Plus, neither of us are spring chickens, so if we don't try it now, who knows when we would...
Old May 28th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Great update, enjoyed reading it a LOT reflects a LOT of what I feel myself although I am from the UK via the Middle East (which I thought was for a year 4 years ago!).....
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Great update Comet!
Really good read!
Comet555, I was glad to see your post seeing as my wife, my 1yr old and myself (early 30s) are thinking of making the move to Brisbane too in a year from Toronto.

How different is it? in terms of lifestyle. We have relatives in Melbourne relaise that not having any family in Brisbane might be the 'downer' to the move.

We are contemplating trying it out for 4-5yrs too
Old Aug 20th 2009, 12:34 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by alzo
Comet555, I was glad to see your post seeing as my wife, my 1yr old and myself (early 30s) are thinking of making the move to Brisbane too in a year from Toronto.

How different is it? in terms of lifestyle. We have relatives in Melbourne relaise that not having any family in Brisbane might be the 'downer' to the move.

We are contemplating trying it out for 4-5yrs too
For the most part I find the lifestyle to be pretty similar. I honestly can't think of anything that stands out that way. There is probably more time spent outdoors but that's because it's overall nicer year round, unlike Canada where lots of people essentially hibernate over winter.

We haven't had too many issues with arriving knowing not a single person. I've found with young kids it's been easier to get to know people. There's always playgroups you can join to get to know other moms, and there's also lots of parks where you can take the kids and possibly meet people that way. The british expats site is great too because there are often meet up so you can meet other people that are new to the country and starting over with friends like you are. The Aussies you sort of have to meet through work, activities, playgroups etc. Most of my friends here are the moms from my daughters kindy last year and from the sports that I do (ice hockey, v-ball).

Where in Brisbane are you hoping to move to?
Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

For the most part I find the lifestyle to be pretty similar. I honestly can't think of anything that stands out that way. There is probably more time spent outdoors but that's because it's overall nicer year round, unlike Canada where lots of people essentially hibernate over winter.

We haven't had too many issues with arriving knowing not a single person. I've found with young kids it's been easier to get to know people. There's always playgroups you can join to get to know other moms, and there's also lots of parks where you can take the kids and possibly meet people that way. The british expats site is great too because there are often meet up so you can meet other people that are new to the country and starting over with friends like you are. The Aussies you sort of have to meet through work, activities, playgroups etc. Most of my friends here are the moms from my daughters kindy last year and from the sports that I do (ice hockey, v-ball).

Where in Brisbane are you hoping to move to?
actually not sure yet as we don't know the lay of the land. Any recommendations in terms on areas we should consider?

Also did you have to get private health care for the family?
and how does the RRSP equivalent (superannuity) work in australia?
what's the average price of a 3 bedroom house in CBD in Brisbane. I am trying to compare this to a 3 bedroom house in North York.
any other things to consider?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

See my reply in red.

Any recommendations in terms on areas we should consider?
That really depends on where you're working and what kind of a commute you would like. Also, how much you want to spend on your house is a major factor.

We decided upon the Bayside area which is south east of Brisbane. It's quieter and not as congested/built up as the areas closer into the city. It's a good family area and the housing was a lot cheaper because it's farther out. The commute is not too bad either. We're in Capalba and right now our house is probably about $4850k and it's got 4 beds, 2 baths and a pool. The Bayside suburbs are: Capalaba, Alexandra Hills, Birkdale, Wellington Point, Ormiston, Cleveland, Raby Bay, Thornlands, Victoria Point and I think Redland Bay. There's probably a few more in there that I've missed.

Also did you have to get private health care for the family?
We did get private health care, but we didn't really choose it so to speak. Our family income is over the threshold so if we don't take out private health we'll be taxed extra (1% of annual salary I think?). So it's actually cheaper for us to pay for the private health than it is to pay the extra tax. If it weren't for that we wouldn't bother taking it out.

and how does the RRSP equivalent (superannuity) work in australia?
By law employers have to contribute 9% (or more if they like) to your super fund. The employers pay this, not you, although you can add extra to it if you like. So when you get a job offer it's important to know if the amount quoted includes the super or if the super is on top of that amount. I believe it's locked in until you hit retirement age, so you can't access it even if you want to (I think). Also, only temporary residents can take it with them when they leave. Permanent residents or citizens can't take it with them, they would still have to wait until retirement age and then it can be paid out.

what's the average price of a 3 bedroom house in CBD in Brisbane.
I have no idea, it would be WAY, WAY out of our price range though! I had a quick look and prices probably start at about $700,000 for the cheapest house you could find. Most people do not live in the cbd, but rather commute in from farther out.

I am trying to compare this to a 3 bedroom house in North York.
any other things to consider?
Unless you're living in the cbd then you'd want to consider proximity to either the train lines or to good bus routes. My husband takes the bus into the city everyday and it's a 35 minute trip, he leaves at about 6:30am so it's a bit faster at that time. Taking the train would be longer for him because it's not really a direct route into the city.

You can check out housing here (for sale, rentals, etc):
www.realestate.com.au
To get a better idea of where all the suburbs are, and the distances, I would suggest looking at this map site:
<A href="http://www.r" rel=nofollow target=_blank>www.whereis.com.au

I found that I would look at the WhereIs site and find an area of suburbs and then check them out on the real estate site. Also, when you search for houses on the real estate site you can go to the map view and see exactly where they are and move from suburb to suburb that way.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by comet555; Aug 20th 2009 at 2:21 am.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

See my reply in red.
Sincerely appreicate all the advise. I will check the links out.

Did you mange to find a rental before moving to Brisbane? or after? Any recommendations on where to stay in between finding a rental?

Also on the job front what's the general Brisbane market sentiment like these days? Not sure if you are aware of what the job situation might be like for auditors (spouse's profession) or general marketing (mine).

any other 'shucks if I had known before I left moments I would have done it..... while I was in Canada'. eg: I am told I should get a police clearance certificate done which I am in Canada as some jobs ask for it.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:36 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Did you mange to find a rental before moving to Brisbane? or after? Any recommendations on where to stay in between finding a rental?

Also on the job front what's the general Brisbane market sentiment like these days? Not sure if you are aware of what the job situation might be like for auditors (spouse's profession) or general marketing (mine).

any other 'shucks if I had known before I left moments I would have done it..... while I was in Canada'. eg: I am told I should get a police clearance certificate done which I am in Canada as some jobs ask for it.
We didn't find a rental before we moved. We had no idea we'd end up in Brisbane. We arrived and my husband did a few job interviews and ended up getting one in Brisbane. We literally only had the weekend to sort out where we wanted to go and what to do! He's a mining engineer so we always though we'd never get to Brisbane because there are no mines around.

We arrived and showed up and found a hotel to stay at for about 3 days while we sorted a rental. We got a rental and the keys in one day. The rental was only for 4 months which is why I wanted it and why I got it so quickly (no one else wanted a 4 month lease). So we moved into the place unfurnished and then found furniture over the next couple of weeks. The first couple of nights we just picked up a few basic camping supplies to live on (air mattress, folding chairs, etc).

I would say find yourself a furnished holiday rental for a week or two to give you time to look around. No idea what the job situation is like, sorry. There is nothing else I would have done while in Canada. We did leave my mother-in-law in charge of our mail and banking while we were still there. She's got access/control to our bank account there which has been really helpful in paying off any last bills we had or even transferring money back for holidays, etc. We obviously trust her a lot though! This had to be set up while in Canada by going into the bank and filling out some forms.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

We didn't find a rental before we moved. We had no idea we'd end up in Brisbane. We arrived and my husband did a few job interviews and ended up getting one in Brisbane. We literally only had the weekend to sort out where we wanted to go and what to do! He's a mining engineer so we always though we'd never get to Brisbane because there are no mines around.

We arrived and showed up and found a hotel to stay at for about 3 days while we sorted a rental. We got a rental and the keys in one day. The rental was only for 4 months which is why I wanted it and why I got it so quickly (no one else wanted a 4 month lease). So we moved into the place unfurnished and then found furniture over the next couple of weeks. The first couple of nights we just picked up a few basic camping supplies to live on (air mattress, folding chairs, etc).

I would say find yourself a furnished holiday rental for a week or two to give you time to look around. No idea what the job situation is like, sorry. There is nothing else I would have done while in Canada. We did leave my mother-in-law in charge of our mail and banking while we were still there. She's got access/control to our bank account there which has been really helpful in paying off any last bills we had or even transferring money back for holidays, etc. We obviously trust her a lot though! This had to be set up while in Canada by going into the bank and filling out some forms.
Wow....the holiday rental and camping supplies is a good idea. My father-in-law has one of those time-share deals so will look into it.

Did you have to provide any verification to the landlord for the rental. I am guessing your husband had not landed a job by the time you'll got the rental so how did you'll handle the standard verification they do (job check etc) or did 'lady luck' come through when you needed it.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:11 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Wow....the holiday rental and camping supplies is a good idea. My father-in-law has one of those time-share deals so will look into it.

Did you have to provide any verification to the landlord for the rental. I am guessing your husband had not landed a job by the time you'll got the rental so how did you'll handle the standard verification they do (job check etc) or did 'lady luck' come through when you needed it.
They realtors didn't really ask for much to be honest. They did ask for previous references but I explained that we owned our last house so didn't really have any. I did show her a copy of our bank account statement though that showed all the money from the house. Plus I offered to pay the whole 4 months up front if needed (it wasn't). I don't think they had many other takers on the rental because it was only available for 4 months. So we were really lucky they needed someone. If I had to I would have just given them my step mothers name to contact.

My husband did have a job though when we arrived and had a copy of the letter. But honestly that probably wasn't needed because it was only for 4 months and they had already seen we had the money to pay for it.

Basically we were just incredibly lucky. We had intended to buy a house right away so didn't want to get locked into a long rental. So when we found the 4 month one it was perfect for us, and for them.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:54 am
Just Joined

DuoCitzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool thread.

I'm thinking about trying Canada now, I have lived in the UK and in Aus atm but would like to go for another. I can't get over what a great city Melbourne is - love it here!

Though I am scared of what I'm hearing about Canada's winter. People have said BC's winter is like Manchester's so I would cope there but -30 o m g!

Peace!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.