British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   Our 2 year anniversiary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/our-2-year-anniversiary-439779/)

KatieStar Apr 4th 2007 4:39 am

Our 2 year anniversiary

It was two years ago today that we arrived in Oz. I was nearly 6 months pregnant. Today I was walking to Wombats playgroup with my little tot.

It feels like it has been a big adventure getting this far, lots of ups, a few downs as well.

We came out on a skills visa as I am a nurse. The visa part was not stressful for us. Selling our house was the hard bit, as was saying goodbye to hubby's family. Knowing his mum and dad had booked their flights to visit us on holiday made it a bit easier.

When we first arrived here it was the usual manic few weeks of getting bank accounts, buying a car, hubby finding a job, also for us to find a DR to look after bubs and I.

We settled fairly easily and once bub was born it was lovely as we had visitors from the UK. Once they had gone however I felt isolated at home with the little one and felt unsupported. I later found out there is a childcare centre in Albany Creek where we were living, but silly me was supposed to have been psychic and referred myself to it :confused: I had a bad patch of homesickness and would have bought a plane ticket home if I could. I agreed with DH we would stick it out for two years, and at the time that felt like a prison sentence.

I can't explain exactly what changed but now Australia feels like home and after two years here is feels normal. At first things felt very alien, different brands of clothes, food etc. Now it seems the norm to shop for food in Woolworths, buy Vegemite rather than Marmite etc. I still find the weather hot, but I can deal with it now, rather than feeling totally oppressed by it.At the weekends we normally take bubs to a local park, or go swimming, meet up with friends for a bbq. Life feels very relaxed now and happy.

Hubby has found a job he enjoys doing, and I am enjoying being a stay at home mum now I have made some friends and joined a few playgroups. I have got a job as a nurse and work my first shift next wednesday. I am a bit nervous but looking forward to it as well. I plan to work the odd weekend shift to keep my registration up as well as earning a few bucks.

Best wishes to you all
Katie

acbh2 Apr 4th 2007 5:01 pm

Re: Our 2 year anniversiary

Great positive post. I hope you carry on the way you are going. Good Luck with the new job.

Andreaxx

travelbug Apr 4th 2007 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by KatieStar (Post 4599657)
It was two years ago today that we arrived in Oz. I was nearly 6 months pregnant. Today I was walking to Wombats playgroup with my little tot.

It feels like it has been a big adventure getting this far, lots of ups, a few downs as well.

We came out on a skills visa as I am a nurse. The visa part was not stressful for us. Selling our house was the hard bit, as was saying goodbye to hubby's family. Knowing his mum and dad had booked their flights to visit us on holiday made it a bit easier.

When we first arrived here it was the usual manic few weeks of getting bank accounts, buying a car, hubby finding a job, also for us to find a DR to look after bubs and I.

We settled fairly easily and once bub was born it was lovely as we had visitors from the UK. Once they had gone however I felt isolated at home with the little one and felt unsupported. I later found out there is a childcare centre in Albany Creek where we were living, but silly me was supposed to have been psychic and referred myself to it :confused: I had a bad patch of homesickness and would have bought a plane ticket home if I could. I agreed with DH we would stick it out for two years, and at the time that felt like a prison sentence.

I can't explain exactly what changed but now Australia feels like home and after two years here is feels normal. At first things felt very alien, different brands of clothes, food etc. Now it seems the norm to shop for food in Woolworths, buy Vegemite rather than Marmite etc. I still find the weather hot, but I can deal with it now, rather than feeling totally oppressed by it.At the weekends we normally take bubs to a local park, or go swimming, meet up with friends for a bbq. Life feels very relaxed now and happy.

Hubby has found a job he enjoys doing, and I am enjoying being a stay at home mum now I have made some friends and joined a few playgroups. I have got a job as a nurse and work my first shift next wednesday. I am a bit nervous but looking forward to it as well. I plan to work the odd weekend shift to keep my registration up as well as earning a few bucks.

Best wishes to you all
Katie

Good Luck with the new job!
If you dont mind me asking - what helped you get over the feelings of isolation - was it the joining of playgroups etc with your little one?
(that question comes from someone who knows she'll be at home with 2 kids when the move finally comes!)

Issie Apr 4th 2007 7:51 pm

Best wishes to you all
Katie

Great post Katie.....good luck with the new job too :)

KatieStar Apr 5th 2007 2:55 am

Thanks for the replies :D

Hi travelbug. It was joining the playgroups that helped me feel less isolated. It is also nice to have somewhere to go in the daytime. I found the groups through phoning playgroup Queensland. I guess the other states have something similar too, if you are not planning on moving to QLD. Take care and goodluck with your move.

Katie

s-jmelbournewannabe Apr 5th 2007 8:59 pm

nice one Katie,

Very pleased you stuck it out... I can see myself going through the same as i have 3 children under 2 1/2 and one at 10, hubs will be out working and i will be at home/wherever on my own all day initially... with no visitors for about 6 mths.. :unsure:

But really looking forward to it though at the same time....

Good luck on your new job, break a leg hon!

S-j x:thumbsup:

KatieStar Apr 6th 2007 11:53 am

Thanks S-J. Goodluck with your big move. I hope it all goes smoothly for you. :D It is very exciting. The best moment for me was landing in Brisbane airport ready to start our new lives. Very daunting at the same time.

Katie

soapy© Apr 6th 2007 1:26 pm

Best wishes to you all
Katie

nice one Katie, good luck with the new job.
i liked the bit....."Life feels very relaxed now and happy"
its funny how it does(without noticing) all seem normal:)

good luck with the rest of your live here, u have worked hard to get it and u deserve what you get:)

soapy

esperanza Apr 6th 2007 3:55 pm

It's good to hear you managed to settle in after feeling out of place - we fly out on Wednesday, all our things are already gone (except for couple of suitcases) and I really don't want to leave all my friends here!! :(

Donna&Neil Apr 6th 2007 9:10 pm

Hi glad to hear things have settled down for you and you now feel at home. It is such a big step and much of what we are going into is the unknown. Good luck with the job. We are both nurses and fly on the 26th April. Feeling all sorts of emotions at the minute. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Donna

nightnurse2 Apr 7th 2007 3:53 pm

Life feels very relaxed now and happy

I feel the same too!

Best of luck for the future :)

themerlin Apr 8th 2007 11:00 pm

:thumbsup:

cranni Apr 9th 2007 1:01 am

:thumbsup:
well done, and wishing you lots of happiness for the future.
Denise x

KatieStar Apr 13th 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks for all your replies and best wishes :D I worked my first two shifts in the hospital and they went well.

Goodluck with your moves Donna and Esperanza. I hope it goes well for you. I was very nervous as well just before we left. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Katie

egghead4 Apr 13th 2007 10:28 pm

brilliant update, katie

it must have been hard moving to a new country being pregnant, so you should be proud of yourself.
keep us updated about your progress
good luck
bec