Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

One year today (10th May)

One year today (10th May)

Old May 10th 2008, 9:03 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute
Default One year today (10th May)

Wow where do you start. As the title says we have been here one year today and before i start i just want to say that we are very happy to be here and as far as we are concerned this our home for the foreseeable future, this was for us definitely the right move.

With that said, things have not turned out exactly as we had planned or had wanted, we are still in a rental which to be honest with you is really starting to get on my wick. The rental system here is atrocious, you are treated like the lowest of the low by the agents, this is obviously because there are many many others queuing up for what rentals there are available and the agents know it. We have asked for many jobs to be done in the house and not once have they even replied let alone done the work, the rent has risen twice in the year we have been in the house, although in fairness the rent was lower than we expected for the area we are in and we expected it to rise.Of course as everyone knows, house prices have shot up and unless you have bags of cash then it is difficult to get on the housing ladder unless you want to live a long way out. There are other things that are different here that really tick me off, for instance, trying to contact our telephone company when you get in from work, unless you get in way before 5 o'clock then forget it, they shut!!!

Our daughters dentist which is our nearest one, whilst being a really nice bloke and seems to know what hes doing, is again shut on a saturday. Do they not think that people work here or what?
I really miss my time in the pub with my mates as there is little or no pub culture here, of course i know some people will love that, i am not a heavy drinker but i do miss the social aspect of the pub atmosphere. Food overall is more expensive but as i said in my last update thread, that is offset by other things like no MOT, TV licence etc.

These are only minor moans and we are not saying oh my god this was all a big mistake, on the contrary we still love it here. The time we have together as a family is far and above what we had in Blighty. We will sort things out in time and we will get our house eventually, it will just take time and patience.

My final words would be to those of you making the move or thinking of it to do as much research as you can and really and truly know that this is going to be the thing for you and your family before taking the plunge, that is not a doom and gloom statement and of course all of the above is only my opinion and based on our experiences, i just want to say be sure this is what you want and good luck to those on the way or thinking of it.

Nev.
Old May 10th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year today (10th May)

I'm glad things are good for you Nev and family long may it continue
S xx
Old May 10th 2008, 2:15 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember you arriving, you came down to Hillary's not long after.
Can't believe it's been 12 months, how time flies.
Best of luck for the future
Tracey
Old May 10th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Glad your settling in ok, so there is no pub culture at all? sounds very sad!

we`re the same, not big drinkers, but now & again like to do a pub crawl, Adelaide had a couple of British type pubs-not many- but better than none!

Bluekipper
Old May 10th 2008, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Good update Nev!
Old May 10th 2008, 5:10 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Can't believe it's been a year already!!

It's a good update Nev, I remember being horrified in Perth when it all seemed to shut at 5 lol. It's a beautiful place though

Hope you get your own place soon
Old May 10th 2008, 5:15 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlion
Wow where do you start. As the title says we have been here one year today and before i start i just want to say that we are very happy to be here and as far as we are concerned this our home for the foreseeable future, this was for us definitely the right move.

With that said, things have not turned out exactly as we had planned or had wanted, we are still in a rental which to be honest with you is really starting to get on my wick. The rental system here is atrocious, you are treated like the lowest of the low by the agents, this is obviously because there are many many others queuing up for what rentals there are available and the agents know it. We have asked for many jobs to be done in the house and not once have they even replied let alone done the work, the rent has risen twice in the year we have been in the house, although in fairness the rent was lower than we expected for the area we are in and we expected it to rise.Of course as everyone knows, house prices have shot up and unless you have bags of cash then it is difficult to get on the housing ladder unless you want to live a long way out. There are other things that are different here that really tick me off, for instance, trying to contact our telephone company when you get in from work, unless you get in way before 5 o'clock then forget it, they shut!!!

Our daughters dentist which is our nearest one, whilst being a really nice bloke and seems to know what hes doing, is again shut on a saturday. Do they not think that people work here or what?
I really miss my time in the pub with my mates as there is little or no pub culture here, of course i know some people will love that, i am not a heavy drinker but i do miss the social aspect of the pub atmosphere. Food overall is more expensive but as i said in my last update thread, that is offset by other things like no MOT, TV licence etc.

These are only minor moans and we are not saying oh my god this was all a big mistake, on the contrary we still love it here. The time we have together as a family is far and above what we had in Blighty. We will sort things out in time and we will get our house eventually, it will just take time and patience.

My final words would be to those of you making the move or thinking of it to do as much research as you can and really and truly know that this is going to be the thing for you and your family before taking the plunge, that is not a doom and gloom statement and of course all of the above is only my opinion and based on our experiences, i just want to say be sure this is what you want and good luck to those on the way or thinking of it.

Nev.

Hi Nev , nice update was just saying to OH that i thought you must have been there a year now . well there we have it a year on & sounds like your enjoying it , more importantly all of you seem to be enjoying it .

Best wishes , say hi to T & K & heres to another year .
Old May 10th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bluekipper
Glad your settling in ok, so there is no pub culture at all? sounds very sad!

we`re the same, not big drinkers, but now & again like to do a pub crawl, Adelaide had a couple of British type pubs-not many- but better than none!

Bluekipper
Was one of them 'the Seacliffe'? we were in their quite often, if you ignored the pokie room downstairs it could have been an English pub!
Also loved the Bombay Bicycle Club in the city!!!
Old May 10th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Yep the `seacliffe` was a regular of ours, `the elephant` in the city was aswell!

bluekipper
Old May 11th 2008, 6:58 am
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for all of the nice comments above. I have to say it has been predominently a year of ups rather than downs and yes we are very happy. we had a lovely day today, made 'Breckie' in bed for my wife, then we all went up to mundaring market and had a great day, Yep this is home now and we are glad we are here.

Thanks again guys

Nev