Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

One year on Surfcoast Victoria

One year on Surfcoast Victoria

Old Mar 15th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about
Default One year on Surfcoast Victoria

Well as the title suggests that’s us one year into our adventure of a lifetime!

As most say I can’t believe a year has passed already doesn’t time fly when you are having fun and learning new things. As a family the move has been a success so far with both our kids aged 6 and 4 fitting into their new lives so easily it still amazes us. School for the eldest has been good and he is thriving although its not all a bed of roses there are still horrid little f*****S who give him hassle from time to time just like home. However he has made great friends and by in large school is good just don’t want to paint a picture of it being perfect or utopian. The little chap is in kinder and after a slow start (he is a mummies boy) it’s the best thing ever now or should I say awesome!

We have all done quite well in the friends department however my wife has excelled in this area introducing us to variety of families some aussie others are expats from all over the place. Many are still just people we have drink and a BBQ with; others are becoming long-term friends on whom we can rely. For me this aspect has been the most enjoyable, meeting like minded people who are out of their comfort zone and often far away from home means they empathise with you and usually help you to make the most of this wonderful country and all it has to offer. Since our arrival I have tried surfing taken part in a tri-athlon got back into running and mountain biking all good moves for health and fitness. I don’t know if its the weather or the fact that many aussies take part in healthy pursuits that’s shamed me into getting involved or perhaps it was the early signs of manboobs appearing, whatever the reason it’s a good thing for me.

We initially stayed in Williamstown Melbourne when we first arrived although we enjoyed it; Torquay was always looking like a good place to settle. The lifestyle and the mindset is something we have always dreamed about and it really doesn’t disappoint other than the south winds in winter, which are em chilly! The beaches and general location of the place are fantastic with many wineries on the doorstep and oh did I mention the beaches and of course the Great Ocean Road. Melbourne is only just over an hours drive out with rush hour, so many weekends are spent in the city enjoying its delights of which there are many. Highlights of Melbourne would be a day at the footy rugged up with the family, and a visit to the aquarium. We also enjoy the St Kilda market and lazy walks along South bank with a nice breaky thrown in for good measure. I have been let loose a few times to go out in Melbourne with the boys and the live music scene around the city is very active the general feel is there is something for everyone.

We still haven’t managed to get around Oz much yet which is a shame but the financial burden of setting up and taking a wage cut has put a stop to our travels a bit. Hopefully we can explore more of Victoria later in the year and make a visit to the pretty city.

The lure of the homeland is still there in a nostalgic sort of way however it’s not really that strong a pull currently. I think after paying the UK a visit in December for work made me realise how much I have fitted into assize life. I didn’t think I would feel like that so soon I don’t hate the UK far from it, I just prefer the lifestyle and general outlook of Australia. The weather here is a big plus although not as reliable and warm as many other parts of Oz it is superb with summer weather for 7 months of the year and a fairly mild winter. Spring is a bit cooler and wilder than I thought I had to buy a fleece jacket during AFL grand final weekend last September that was a bit of surprise even though I was aware that Melbourne isn’t Brisbane.

Overall we are happy with the move and are really enjoying our new lives we intend to stay long term subject to visa approval.

Mike
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:04 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: One year on Surfcoast Victoria

What a great update! A real success story by the sound of it. All the best
Old Mar 19th 2010, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough

what are people like? is it a melting pot like london or socially segregated like in nz? my husband found himself sitting in sydney watching everyone and smiling then he realised what he really liked was the cultural 'soup'.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Its a bit of soup really never thought of it in those terms before however there really is an amazing cultural mix in Torquay and indeed Melbourne. I would however add my opinion that in general Oz is a more openly racist country than the UK note the word openly. Its a shock at first from the PC world that is modern day Britain however the malice isn't there like home in many cases and there is confusion surrounding the views at times........I'm still to become comfortable with the general ozzy view on race and racism.

Just my tuppence worth
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Mike,

Hoping to get a visa soon....ish and we are heading to Victoria for at least the first two years.

Spent the summer in Oz and stayed for a while just outside Torquay. Not quite sure what to make of the Geelong bay area - felt a little bit like a France next to a harbour for what it is worth. Did however enjoy Torquay and once the sun was out the area was delightful.

Our two main concerns are employment - teaching (probably private) and accommodation. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Bezza
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough

i suppose its context - aussies tend to be a bit out there in every way so at what point do you take overt behaviour of any kind seriously? looking at it from another angle, in moving to oz you are moving to a place where a short time ago people were shooting other people for sport. i believe outside the ivan m crowd they stopped that a while ago... does that mean things are improving??? are serious racial issues within migrant communities - thats the media pic we get here?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

bezzanbob,

Geelong is an acquired taste in many ways it has a large industrial base which means many well paid jobs and trade specific opportunities. This also means quite a few unsightly industrial sites and quite a run down appearance to many parts of the city mostly to the east. It also impacts on the view from the water front area however it must be said that the waterfront area really is very nice with plenty nice bars and restaurants to choose from, there are also quite a few nice suburbs i.e. Belmont, Highton, South Geelong & Newtown. I was quite scathing of the place when I first arrived but its not that bad really when you get to know it properly. In saying all that I choose to live down in Torquay as it has the lifestyle that most people in Oz aspire to, great beaches, outdoor living and a good community feel. Torquay is also a great place to eat out it has some interesting local shops so overall its lovely place to stroll around on a sunny day.

The weather is a bit cooler than say QLD but put it this way the good weather started in the last week of October 09 and we are still having what can be described as summer weather now. The cool weather will start to creep in about around mid April however there will still be plenty crisp sunny days in the high teens then it will drop away into sort of winter weather in June. It’s usually still dry throughout this time but pretty cool 8-16°C you do however get the odd day of warm weather thrown in during this period. The windy weather seemed to come in September last year and boy it was cold, however I’ve been told by wise locals the winds were a bit late and the end of footy season September, should actually be start of the good weather. Also worth pointing out how settled the summer weather is in comparison to most of the rest of the country i.e. very few storms or floods which seem to plague QLD and often NSW during the summer.

There are a few private schools in Geelong and obviously many government schools in both Geelong and the surrounding areas so work should be available. I don’t know the Geelong regional population but do know the city itself has around 210,000 inhabitants so I would think there is plenty schools looking for teachers.

Accommodation can range from say 300PW for a 3-bed house in an average Geelong suburb up to 750 PW for a waterfront place in Torquay. Most people we know seem to pay about $400 - $450 PW for a 3 or 4 bed house setback from the beach in a typically Aussie looking suburban street. Some friends are up in Geelong (Highton) they actually pay slightly less $380 for a 3 bed house, Highton is good value as it’s a nice spot and reasonable distance to Geelong city centre and the coast.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

simharris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mike,
Family and I are considering moving out to Victoria if the visa ever comes thro. We are real beach bums so would love to live in either Torquay or Ocean Grove.
You mention that the commute to Melbourne is an hour - do you find it a real grind, or does the fact that you live by the beach more than make up from the drive.
We have 2 older kids who will be starting their A levels soon - so if we go to Vic, they will start in year 11 doing there VCE's. The only school I've found in the area is Bellarine in Ocean Grove. Do you have any ideas if it's any good...
Cheers,
Simon
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

misterjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simharris
Hi Mike,
Family and I are considering moving out to Victoria if the visa ever comes thro. We are real beach bums so would love to live in either Torquay or Ocean Grove.
You mention that the commute to Melbourne is an hour - do you find it a real grind, or does the fact that you live by the beach more than make up from the drive.
We have 2 older kids who will be starting their A levels soon - so if we go to Vic, they will start in year 11 doing there VCE's. The only school I've found in the area is Bellarine in Ocean Grove. Do you have any ideas if it's any good...
Cheers,
Simon
Haha, We aren't serious when we make racist jokes, we just like to have a laugh, no matter what it's about. Since a lot of British kids are coming to my school as there as SO many parents moving here, I tend to notice a few things.
As with the kids, you can't seem to get the "Insulting" humour of Australia yet.
Even other cultures make fun of themselves and caucasians. It's just .... OZ
Wouldn't trade my life here right now for anything.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

misterjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by misterjack
Haha, We aren't serious when we make racist jokes, we just like to have a laugh, no matter what it's about. Since a lot of British kids are coming to my school as there as SO many parents moving here, I tend to notice a few things.
As with the kids, you can't seem to get the "Insulting" humour of Australia yet.
Even other cultures make fun of themselves and caucasians. It's just .... OZ
Wouldn't trade my life here right now for anything.
You'll get the humour eventually, and good to hear you are thinking of staying long-term, perhaps even to become a citizen?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simharris
Hi Mike,
Cheers,
Simon
Hi Simon,

Just to clear up I don't work in Melbourne all the time mostly Geelong, the hour journey to Mel would be an off peak time two hours is more reallistic during peak times. Living in Torquay is really nice ity has a good feel lots of decent coffee shops and places to eat. The winter is bit different though as its cold by Aussie standards so the beach and surf are only for the hardened surfers during this time of year. In all honesty if I was based in Mel full time for work I'd move up there as the commute isn't pleasant however saying that many people do it and seem to manage.