Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

One Year On - and still lovin' it!

One Year On - and still lovin' it!

Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of
Default One Year On - and still lovin' it!

Hi Everyone

Just thought I would update as we have now been here a year!! We left on NY Eve and arrived on 2nd Jan. I found that a very emotional time to leave but the fares were cheap and there was 6 of us!!

Hubby loved it as soon as he stepped off the plane and nothing has changed! He has never felt homesick once, he doesn't miss anything about the UK at all. Once he was really pushed for an answer and after a long thought he said the Chinese food wasn't as good as the UK!!! He has started his own gardening business and luckily always seems to have work. Nobody has said they wouldn't use him because he's British - in fact one old lady once paid him in advance and then said she wouldn't have done that if he'd been an Aussie - and yes she was an Aussie!!! He can count on one hand the number of days he has gone without a beer and he definately loves that part of it!

I was expecting to be very homesick and miss my friends but I waited and waited for it to kick in and it never really has. I have the odd day when all our friends have gone on a night out but I speak to them regularly on the phone and a lot on MSN!! I work 3 days a week (which I love) as a Home Loan Consultant for a bank and received fantastic training as I had never done it before. It feels very weird advising Aussie's on home loans but again I have only had one 'Get back the UK' comment and that was only after the bank had refused his application. I was also worried about the heat in the summer but it is not that bad and you do get used to the flies and the mozzies however the cockroaches are taking a little longer!!

The children love it out here and it has been great watching their confidence grow and having a more outdoor life. Even our eldest, who was 15 when we came and only agreed to do 2 years if we let her go back to the UK to go to Uni, is looking at Uni's in Brisbane now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! They have all made friends and settled well. I'm especially pleased for my son who has Aspergers. They still want to go back to the UK but now they just say for a holiday!

We have made some good friends - mainly from this site but a few Aussies and some Kiwi's. It definately helps you settle when you have friends you can talk to who are in the same boat. I read a lot of posts on this site about people who hate it and people who love it and I have no idea why some settle and some don't but we definately didn't come over here expecting anything other than an adventure and if they took our visa's off us tomorrow I would do it all again because it has been an amazing one!

To everyone waiting for their visas, hang on in there 'cos I think its worth the wait!!

Jo
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:43 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Year On - and still lovin' it!

Originally Posted by OzWannabee
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would update as we have now been here a year!! We left on NY Eve and arrived on 2nd Jan. I found that a very emotional time to leave but the fares were cheap and there was 6 of us!!

Hubby loved it as soon as he stepped off the plane and nothing has changed! He has never felt homesick once, he doesn't miss anything about the UK at all. Once he was really pushed for an answer and after a long thought he said the Chinese food wasn't as good as the UK!!! He has started his own gardening business and luckily always seems to have work. Nobody has said they wouldn't use him because he's British - in fact one old lady once paid him in advance and then said she wouldn't have done that if he'd been an Aussie - and yes she was an Aussie!!! He can count on one hand the number of days he has gone without a beer and he definately loves that part of it!

I was expecting to be very homesick and miss my friends but I waited and waited for it to kick in and it never really has. I have the odd day when all our friends have gone on a night out but I speak to them regularly on the phone and a lot on MSN!! I work 3 days a week (which I love) as a Home Loan Consultant for a bank and received fantastic training as I had never done it before. It feels very weird advising Aussie's on home loans but again I have only had one 'Get back the UK' comment and that was only after the bank had refused his application. I was also worried about the heat in the summer but it is not that bad and you do get used to the flies and the mozzies however the cockroaches are taking a little longer!!

The children love it out here and it has been great watching their confidence grow and having a more outdoor life. Even our eldest, who was 15 when we came and only agreed to do 2 years if we let her go back to the UK to go to Uni, is looking at Uni's in Brisbane now so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! They have all made friends and settled well. I'm especially pleased for my son who has Aspergers. They still want to go back to the UK but now they just say for a holiday!

We have made some good friends - mainly from this site but a few Aussies and some Kiwi's. It definately helps you settle when you have friends you can talk to who are in the same boat. I read a lot of posts on this site about people who hate it and people who love it and I have no idea why some settle and some don't but we definately didn't come over here expecting anything other than an adventure and if they took our visa's off us tomorrow I would do it all again because it has been an amazing one!

To everyone waiting for their visas, hang on in there 'cos I think its worth the wait!!

Jo
Am glad it seems to be working out for you all Jo, but swear to God, I dunno how you cope with the humidity in that part of OZ lol
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jo a great read. Many thanks for taking the time. It is so good for us 'still in the uk' to hear how things have faired for you guys who have already taken the leap. We are patiently awaiting word re our visa but fingers crossed hopefully we will be in Brisbane by the middle of the year.

Many thanks again for sharing. Best wishes

Donna & Neil
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Am glad it seems to be working out for you all Jo, but swear to God, I dunno how you cope with the humidity in that part of OZ lol
I love it!! I had a fleece and a big blanket over me on NY Eve outside - it was a bit chilly!!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:46 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

Jo
Really pleased for ya, glad your loving it.

Dave
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Jo
Loved reading this, so joyful, what a great first year. I especially liked the bit about lady who paid in advance, what a lovely thing to do and say!

Where abouts in North Wales are you from?

All the best.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Everyone

Jo
I do like happy endings, all glowing this end
Old Jan 5th 2007, 1:09 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I love it!! I had a fleece and a big blanket over me on NY Eve outside - it was a bit chilly!!
Yeh and the rest of us were in strapless dresses and t shirts!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Stitch
Yeh and the rest of us were in strapless dresses and t shirts!

Cheers

Ginny
loved reading that , there is so much excitement on this forum & it just keeps you buzzing !
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Lovely post, thank you for sharing. May your life continue to get better and better.
Nicky x
Old Jan 5th 2007, 3:43 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone

Jo

Excellent post ....may you continue in your new happy lives
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely post. It's great to hear positive stories like yours.

Tracey
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:10 pm
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

yes what a great post. we have just got our visas and so i love reading these x amount of time in threads. x
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Hi Everyone

Jo
Great to read a positive post. Happy 1st Anniversary!

Sue
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Loved reading this, so joyful, what a great first year. I especially liked the bit about lady who paid in advance, what a lovely thing to do and say!

Where abouts in North Wales are you from?

All the best.

Wrexham but don't hold that against us!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.