Reload this Page >

One year since returning back to the UK

One year since returning back to the UK

Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

pompompom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One year since returning back to the UK

Hi (:

I emigrated to Perth Australia in 2004, and lived there until 2007. For those of you going, it is very different to England. But I suppose thats what your after?

Pros
Cheaper most things
Fabulously hot weather
Plenty of space (everywhere; houses, cities, shopping malls, green space!)
Friendly people (on the whole)
Feels very safe
Low crime rates
In places, very scenic

Cons
Things close early, i.e. don't expect to get dinner after 9ish (even at a lot of take aways!)
It is alot quieter then most places in the UK, and certainly not as buzzy
VERY different sense of humour (something that actually really bothered me)
Very insulated (5 hours to nearest city)
Expensive to get home for holidays
Lots of television adverts (3 breaks in a 30 minute show)

I suppose the biggest shock for me was, it wasn't how I imagined. My own fault, I know. As moving there was the first time I had seen it

I envisaged palm tree speckled beaches with hoards of fit surfer boys that I could perv on from a nearby cappuccino strip! The reality is, the beaches are gorgeous, but at the beach, that is all you've got; the beach. And maybe a deli if you’re lucky (corner shop).

The nightlife was also a major reason I came back, in that, there wasn't much. This however, is a Perth thing, from what I have gathered, not Australia-wide.

Anyway - anyway questions I'm happy to answer.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all
Default Re: One year since returning back to the UK

So how are things back in the UK?. Where abouts are you living? Do you feel things are real there now you have been to OZ? I feel like I'm living on the moon here in Adelaide.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompompom
Hi (:

I emigrated to Perth Australia in 2004, and lived there until 2007. For those of you going, it is very different to England. But I suppose thats what your after?

Pros
Cheaper most things
Fabulously hot weather
Plenty of space (everywhere; houses, cities, shopping malls, green space!)
Friendly people (on the whole)
Feels very safe
Low crime rates
In places, very scenic

Cons
Things close early, i.e. don't expect to get dinner after 9ish (even at a lot of take aways!)
It is alot quieter then most places in the UK, and certainly not as buzzy
VERY different sense of humour (something that actually really bothered me)
Very insulated (5 hours to nearest city)
Expensive to get home for holidays
Lots of television adverts (3 breaks in a 30 minute show)

I suppose the biggest shock for me was, it wasn't how I imagined. My own fault, I know. As moving there was the first time I had seen it

I envisaged palm tree speckled beaches with hoards of fit surfer boys that I could perv on from a nearby cappuccino strip! The reality is, the beaches are gorgeous, but at the beach, that is all you've got; the beach. And maybe a deli if you’re lucky (corner shop).

The nightlife was also a major reason I came back, in that, there wasn't much. This however, is a Perth thing, from what I have gathered, not Australia-wide.

Anyway - anyway questions I'm happy to answer.
Perth certainly is not Rio.Actually find that a lot of people born here or who have been here awhile seldom go to the beach.
You are right there is little to do..and deadly for a single person.
For a family perhaps better.Would you agree?
So no regrets moving back??For me i am taking a look at Melbourne next Feb.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lickylady
So how are things back in the UK?. Where abouts are you living? Do you feel things are real there now you have been to OZ? I feel like I'm living on the moon here in Adelaide.
Adelaide does take time to get used to,, however Id go bk to Adelaide in ashot if we could just get decent jobs there infact any job haha,, brighton is lovely!

Bluekipper
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

If I was not settled in Adelaide I would try somewhere else in Australia, Surfers is good to place to check out the eye candy. Seriously, there is no one place that will suit everybody, 'try before you buy' and if at first you don't succeed.....
Jacqui