British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Update Forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/)
-   -   One Year since arrival on CPV Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/update-forum-107/one-year-since-arrival-cpv-visa-506548/)

budababes Jan 15th 2008 10:21 pm

One Year since arrival on CPV Visa

Well after all the upheaval of joining the roller-coaster ride of visa application, selling our U.K. home in Devon and parting from very dear friends and relatives in our homeland, we arrived here in Charlestown on 12th Jan 2007. What a fantastic year we have had .... A warm and loving welcome from our son and his wife and then the arrival of our gorgeous grandson in February. We were fortunate to move into a 3 months, furnished rental whilst we searched for our new home and after many, many house inspections we finally settled here in what we call the 10 minute town - 10 from Newcastle City, 10 from a selection of lovely beaches, 10 from Lake Macquarie and 10 from the local shops, banks, library etc.

Am not going to deny that I have had pangs of homesickness during this past year. You can't just forget 60+ years of life without feeling sorry to have left some very special people in the U.K. mainly our daughter! Miss her so much it physically hurts sometimes but thanks to modern technology we are in constant contact and she is about to make her first visit to our new home in Feb. Can't wait! Also miss our beautiful collie who turned 13 this January. We were very fortunate in that some good friends adopted her and she is living the remainder of her life in 'doggie heaven' on a small-holding very close to where we used to live, so has lots of familiar smells around her.

I would not say that everything is better here than in the U.K. - of course it isn't - just different!! I must have driven my husband mad for the first 6-9th months saying ''At home we would have had........, or 'at home it was ....' etc, etc. I am now coming round to the fact that this is now my home! We didn't leave the U.K. to escape anything..... we just wanted to take the opportunity to join our family and begin another adventure in our life before we are too old and past it. So far, so good. We both have said that we feel rejuvenated by the move (after we had recovered from the physical effort of it). We have found the Australians very welcoming and friendly and have made some very good friends since our arrival.

Would be interested in hearing from any other parents who have taken the plunge and moved here to join their offspring.

All the best

Linda & Keith :)

Dazza49 Jan 16th 2008 3:04 am

Re: One Year since arrival on CPV Visa

Hi,
What a lovely post. Wishing you continued success and happiness.

Ally

Fly Away Jan 16th 2008 12:17 pm

Great post!:thumbsup:

I hope that you continue to enjoy your new life and have a wonderful time when your daughter visits. (Maybe you could persuade her to join you.....:thumbup:)

FRAYNE Feb 2nd 2008 4:58 am

Originally Posted by budababes (Post 5793677)
Well after all the upheaval of joining the roller-coaster ride of visa application, selling our U.K. home in Devon and parting from very dear friends and relatives in our homeland, we arrived here in Charlestown on 12th Jan 2007. What a fantastic year we have had .... A warm and loving welcome from our son and his wife and then the arrival of our gorgeous grandson in February. We were fortunate to move into a 3 months, furnished rental whilst we searched for our new home and after many, many house inspections we finally settled here in what we call the 10 minute town - 10 from Newcastle City, 10 from a selection of lovely beaches, 10 from Lake Macquarie and 10 from the local shops, banks, library etc.

Am not going to deny that I have had pangs of homesickness during this past year. You can't just forget 60+ years of life without feeling sorry to have left some very special people in the U.K. mainly our daughter! Miss her so much it physically hurts sometimes but thanks to modern technology we are in constant contact and she is about to make her first visit to our new home in Feb. Can't wait! Also miss our beautiful collie who turned 13 this January. We were very fortunate in that some good friends adopted her and she is living the remainder of her life in 'doggie heaven' on a small-holding very close to where we used to live, so has lots of familiar smells around her.

I would not say that everything is better here than in the U.K. - of course it isn't - just different!! I must have driven my husband mad for the first 6-9th months saying ''At home we would have had........, or 'at home it was ....' etc, etc. I am now coming round to the fact that this is now my home! We didn't leave the U.K. to escape anything..... we just wanted to take the opportunity to join our family and begin another adventure in our life before we are too old and past it. So far, so good. We both have said that we feel rejuvenated by the move (after we had recovered from the physical effort of it). We have found the Australians very welcoming and friendly and have made some very good friends since our arrival.

Would be interested in hearing from any other parents who have taken the plunge and moved here to join their offspring.

All the best

Linda & Keith :)

Hi Linda, good post glad to hear you have settled in so well and made freinds ;)hope you have a lovely 2 weeks when maria comes :)
best wishes
Janet

egghead4 Feb 2nd 2008 11:31 am

its great to hear some feedback from parents:thumbsup:
looks like you are settled and into the swing of things, which is great.
good luck
bec

Sally Simpson Feb 2nd 2008 4:13 pm

What a lovely post & I wish you continued success!:thumbsup:

maisey Feb 3rd 2008 8:11 am

It is so nice to hear of your adventure and that you are settling in well.:thumbsup: