Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

One year in Perth and moving on

One year in Perth and moving on

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year in Perth and moving on

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The Australian PR machine is very good indeed. Sure the really poor with limited skills in the UK would find it hard to get a look in,although far more folk are far more poorer with the Stock market losses and housing down turn over there and do feel pretty poor....
The isolation issue is a concern to me as well here..not only geo location(but that also) but also how life is lived here.
Just hope i can convince my OH the importance of this issue when back in Europe next year.
To be honest, I don't think the Australian PR machine is as good as the inside of many a migrant's head! Ultimately they sell it to themselves - and God they do! You see it all the time. The fascination with beaches, dolphins, red wine on tap. You'd think some only live for that bit of sun they treat themselves to every year.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Great and honest update, its not a negative post its just how life is,( I will be writing one simular if things carry on the way they are Just want to wish you guys luck
Old Oct 24th 2009, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Very Happy
Why Brits come to Oz and pick isolated boring Perth still has me puzzled. Is there a big advertising campaign or something in the U.K from the WA govt or business?
I thought it was because it was cheap. Was!

Also I put it down to the fact that Brits are obsessed with sun and beaches and think they are those sort of people when really they may not be. 10 years ago, I had the impression that Perth had a reputation for real Australian city life - beach after/before work and that's what seems to really appeal.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:37 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I thought it was because it was cheap. Was!

Also I put it down to the fact that Brits are obsessed with sun and beaches and think they are those sort of people when really they may not be. 10 years ago, I had the impression that Perth had a reputation for real Australian city life - beach after/before work and that's what seems to really appeal.
Well i have to be honest and say we went to Perth for the weather. But after afew years there we realised that living in the sun is difficult too. Not much there either to keep you busy, so we left, simple
Old Oct 26th 2009, 1:57 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Good luck with the new adventure - hope it all goes smoothly and you settle in to your new lives.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Well i have to be honest and say we went to Perth for the weather. But after afew years there we realised that living in the sun is difficult too. Not much there either to keep you busy, so we left, simple
I would have been the same. (Weather is a bonus for me).
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
To be honest, I don't think the Australian PR machine is as good as the inside of many a migrant's head! Ultimately they sell it to themselves - and God they do! You see it all the time. The fascination with beaches, dolphins, red wine on tap. You'd think some only live for that bit of sun they treat themselves to every year.
Do agree with that but i guess it is part and parcel of the whole deal.
The need to pschc themselves up to a new life perhaps?
Then in reverse if and when they return.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:39 am
Just Joined

flower123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Onwards and upwards as they say!

We've been back almost a whole year and not regretted a moment of our decision. I hope you end up as happy as we are back home...sweet home!!
i think people underestimate how important freinds and family are and how much happiness they bring
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

evelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant futureevelyn oneill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by merleoberon
great posst more or less how we feel. Perth is lovely place but like everywhere it has its problems - same as UK. find Perth pretty but dull and so backward thinking - overall balance is that UK is the place for us. Kids quite happy to be going back too - really excited to be seeing grandparents and cousins again etc - they have often mentioned how left out they feel when their australian classmates talk about family outings, granny and papa coming over at the weekend etc. I now look back and wonder just how the hell why I though uprooting my kids, taking them away from everyone they know and love and more importantly, who give them real love - to bake in the sun here - why did I think this would give them a better life? i swear I am going to start up a "love the UK and don't be seduced by Australia" group when I get back.

my kids never took to the aussie lifestyle of beach and sport, sport and more sport - to be honest they do the same things here as they did in the Uk - swimming, snooker, reading, cinema etc - they dont mind the odd day at the beach and a bit of body boarding - but you know what its like - half an hour and you feel like you need to get under some shade! I truly don't believe that australia offers them more than the UK does and i think if we stayed 'for them' they'd be off as soon as they were old enough!!

bestest of luck with your return in november - we will be back next march - just in time for spring!
Can i please join your group -dont be seduced by Australia? we going home soon too.xxx
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:32 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

we originally came to perth as we believed the climate to be better ie less humidity. also the relative lack of dangerous creatures eg funnel web spiders, blue ring octopus, box jellyfish etc. Seems a bit daft now to base your life on where there are no deadly jellyfish but at the time it seemed a reasonable thing to do!
Your a thousand times more likely to be killed in a car accident in OZ then by some dangerous creature, they only kill a few people a year while a coupe of thousand killed on the roads, baseing your decsion where to live on that is a mistake, there arent any dangerous jellyfish in the waters of the east coast only in tropical queensland. NSW and VIctoria are not humid.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:02 pm
Meow!

TigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud ofTigerFeet has much to be proud of

Nice honest reply...

And to be honest I can relate to alot of what the OP has said and others as well..

I have to say though that to come to Australia (Perth or otherwise) and expect to rock up into jobs like you had in the UK may be a little niave..

We left the UK 5 years ago, my husband was an Operations Manager and I worked in the fitness industry. On arrival my husband had to go back on the tools and earn half the money he earned in the UK. He went from a suit to overalls and I swear I never seen him work so hard for so little in my life.
I struggled to get a job and no luck....but never gave up trying until eventually somebody gave me a 'chance'. (I found my UK qualifications meant squat diddley here!)

To cut a long story short we have worked really hard and low and behold within a a couple of years we began to make headway and now I can honestly say we have attained a lifestyle beyond our dreams.
Initially my husband worked every hour God sent and as ssoon as he could he also applied for promotions when they came up. Sure enough, he too got a chance. And now, he now manages a dept, has company Ute and all the trimmings.

So please, you guys out there who are on the verge of emigrating, this isnt a bed of roses, it isnt all dished out on a plate and there will be tough times ahead, but if you are determined enough, you will make it work, you just have to want it to.

Best of luck!
TF

PS I was really homesick too but stuck it out. Have gone through so much but ask me now what I think? Its brill! Best thing I have ever done! And I feel very, very fortunate and for my family too.

PPS I really should post more often, sorry x

PPPS Guess what? I am gong back to the UK for a 3 week holiday this year to see my Nan who I havent seen since we came here Looking forward to the trip however I will be glad to come back 'home'

Last edited by TigerFeet; Apr 30th 2010 at 5:10 pm.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Very Happy
Why Brits come to Oz and pick isolated boring Perth still has me puzzled. Is there a big advertising campaign or something in the U.K from the WA govt or business?
Yes, I have wondered this many times too.

Perth is like Adelaide and Darwin – they all call themselves cities but are really just big country towns.

Numerous people have told me that Perth is quite and fairly boring place to live. But I have never lived there, so I don’t know how true that is.

I often wonder if the isolation of Perth is a major problem for some people.

I absolutely love living in Sydney (well the outskirts anyway) – we felt settled and at home after only a few weeks. So it is sad to read of people still not settled in Perth after four years. Something is not right.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Seems a bit daft now to base your life on where there are no deadly jellyfish but at the time it seemed a reasonable thing to do!

Pity about all the Great Whites in the ocean then!
Old May 1st 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by evelyn oneill
Can i please join your group - dont be seduced by Australia? we going home soon too.
So sad to read this.

I say definitely be seduced about Australia – it is a lovely country and a wonderful lifestyle.

On a different note, I must admit that I do find it quite amazing that people decide to migrate to a country that they have never been to before.

When people take a gamble like this, it is hardly surprising that it often falls short of their expectations.

You certainly can’t base your views on what you see on Neighbours or Home & Away (don’t laugh – I know someone who did just that!)

I had been to Australia on holiday before I emigrated. Once as a backpacker on a working visa and once as a tourist. So I knew what to expect and already had some idea about where I wanted to live. More importantly, I also knew where I didn’t want to live.

Perhaps those thinking of migrating should take a holiday here first. A holiday can be done fairly cheaply. I understand that return flights the UK are quite low at present. Once here you can save money by staying in YHA’s. Flights within Australia are exceptionally cheap – I recently saw Sydney to Brisbane flights advertised for just $69.00.

For my holiday I arrived in Sydney and spent time visiting the tourist traps in the CBD, then took a flight from Sydney to Brisbane. Then a bus from Brisbane to Cairns. Then after arriving back in Brisbane, I took a bus back to Sydney.

I did this over the course of 12 weeks (you could do it quicker but I wanted to take my time). Hopping off the bus here and there. Hiring a car is another option.

Along the East coast I stopped at places that took my fancy after reading a tourist guide book. Places included, sailing in the Whitsunday Islands, walking in tropical rainforest on Dunk Island and in the Daintree National Park.

From Cairns I travelled up Cape Tribulation (which is just stunning) and did a 4WD trip up the Old Telegraph Road in Cape York and this was a wild adventure in itself.

Back down to Cairns for a flight to Melbourne, stayed a few days but didn’t like the feel or vibe of the place. Flew back to Brisbane, as I had accidently missed Fraser Island on the way up and wanted to go there.

After Fraser, I returned to Brisbane and then took the bus back down to Sydney. Spent a few days in the Blue Mountains and doing day trips around Sydney. And then flew back to the UK.

From this trip I discovered that I disliked Cairns, Brisbane, Byron Bay and Melbourne.

But absolutely loved Sydney, Leura (Blue Mountains), Hyams Beach (NSW), Uki (NSW), Kangaroo Valley (NSW), The Daintree-Cape Tribulation region (QLD), Atherton Tablelands (QLD).

So when I migrated I knew for a fact that Melbourne was off the list and Sydney was on it. No doubt this is the reason why it only took me a few weeks to settle once we moved to Sydney.